Hammer F3F

The one thats tempted me back

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tim Mackey08/07/2012 11:29:16
20919 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles

Just to make you feel better Mark, I havent even opened the box, it sits resplendant alongside the other 7 unopened kits in the workshop

Edited By Tim Mackey on 08/07/2012 11:29:24

FWAL08/07/2012 12:04:37
314 forum posts
469 photos
Posted by Tim Mackey on 08/07/2012 11:29:16:

Just to make you feel better Mark, I havent even opened the box, it sits resplendant alongside the other 7 unopened kits in the workshop

Edited By Tim Mackey on 08/07/2012 11:29:24

Hi Tim

You should at least spread the virgin kits out and decide which one you'd most like to fly, then perhaps open the plans and instructions.

That should be enough for one therapy session, perhaps next week you could open the box again and check all the materials next week face 1

Seriously, it is difficult to find the time. However, once started I try and do a bit at least every other day and sure enough it's not long untill you're over the hump and the end is in sight. I guess that's the beauty of the hammer 80% of the work is already done for you.

It's a shame the Hammer kit didn't include control rods and clevis's and perhaps better wing servo cover's, then the builder would only have to supply RC gear, glue and coverings which would be a real big bonus if you ask me.

P.S

Rob I pushed the boat out a bit and bought 6 Savox SH-0257MG servo's 14g 0.09 sec 2.2kg-cm @ 6.0V.........They'd better be good and slop free for a long time!

Rob - Flying Dog RC08/07/2012 13:01:35
19 forum posts
6 photos

FWAL - as a customer - I agree, I'm not very fussy with the gear and being a lazy builder a bit it's a big bonus for me if everything is included with the KIT - I usually trust the producers regarding their choice of the gear included, BUT....as a reseller (and the same told me Blejzyk) - some customers complain that "this is not strong enough", "I'd use stronger horns", "I'd use diferent clevises" and so on. It's hard to please everybody Besides - Artur (producer) likes to leave some space for customers personal building likes and changes (hence the channel for the wing joiner is so deep and opened as some feel bad if they dont have at least 10mm titanium tube in the wing )

In near future I will have "upgrade sets" with pushrods, clevises etc for all the kits available so customers can order this as well at a small cost - my plan is to show and build strong Blejzyk brand on the UK market smile d

PS. I wanted to use the Hi Tec ones - but then I got 4 coronas as well just to have a look at them, and really like them - seems very solid - no slop, centre well - decisions decisions .....

Should've bought Savox like I planed in the first place LOL

FWAL08/07/2012 21:41:42
314 forum posts
469 photos

The wings can now be bolted to the fuse face 1

hams nose.jpg

the servo tray and servo's are installed, you have to form the cut outs and ply tray, I made mine from 9mm ply

hams cockpit.jpg

and the nose ballast compartment bulkhead has been cut and fitted. I used my favourite glue again

hams ballast compartment.jpg

FWAL09/07/2012 12:54:58
314 forum posts
469 photos

I trial fitted the outer sheave and there just wasn't quite enough room for the servo arms and clevises, in hind sight I could have off set the servo's as you never need the same length servo arms on the rudder as you do on elevator, but I think we all like symetry. It was a fairly easy fix as I adjusted the cut out and lowered the servo's the thickness of the tray

hams recessed servos.jpg

Now there should be plenty of room. I also fitted the switch and drilled pilot holes for the snakes

hams switch location.jpg

FWAL11/07/2012 22:47:06
314 forum posts
469 photos

Started to fit the wing servo's

ham servo cover.jpg

The wing comes with the circular cut out already formed and it's up to the builder to decide how to fit and finish off the servo's. Some small lightweight covers are supplied with the kit but I didn't use them as they wouldn't adequately cover the existing recesses. Therefore I brought these covers from PMP and these are only just big enough.

ham servo cover fitted.jpg

I also started to fit the tail parts, below is a picture looking up the fuse from the tail

ham fuse tail.jpg

Knowing how eratic some of my landings can be I decided to add a 1mm thick ply plate to the underside of the stab bed, the ply will also allow me to shorten the bolt which will hold the tail parts on, whilst at the same time let me install the elevator snake / horn in the center of the fuse (This will become clearer LOL

ham fuse tail ply.jpg

Here the tail parts are dry fitted. I have added a small balsa gusset at the bottom of the rudder as I didn't like the original look without it.

ham tail .jpg

I have now covered the majority of the wing and all the tail parts this evening

Edited By FWAL on 11/07/2012 22:49:08

FWAL14/07/2012 19:21:53
314 forum posts
469 photos

I wonder if Pro film Oracover has a sell by date? Recently I have used Black, White and Turquoise. Both the Black and white have gone on OK without any problems but the turquoise has been a real pain and in fact I am probably going to remove and recover Hammers rudder due to the poor finish. Turquoise probably doesn't sell that well so perhaps this particular roll I'm using is just a little on the old side.

fin covering.jpg

However, despite this small set back I had a little something yesterday to cheer me up teeth 2

mefisto parcel.jpg

Edited By FWAL on 14/07/2012 19:24:37

RGPuk16/07/2012 01:01:41
151 forum posts
12 photos

Just for reference, I've found the Robbe (and Graupner) circular servo lock products just right for the often used round, wing servo mounting holes in Euro models such as Blejzyk and Topmodel:

Servo-lock

Ro.

Edited By RGPuk on 16/07/2012 01:30:32

FWAL18/07/2012 19:35:02
314 forum posts
469 photos

Thanks Ro I've bookmarked that site yes

The Hammer is almost there

hammer 1 18.07.jpg

I removed and recovered the rudder which in turn lead to change of colour scheme. I also decided to use matt varnish (2 coats, 5 coats in total including the first two thinned coats) and am very pleased with the results.

hammer 2 18.07.jpg

The servo's are all glued to their respective wing covers and tonight the real fun will begin when I attempt to programme a 4 servo wing to my JR X2720 tx for the first time ( I'll probably be asking for helpful advice very soon)

hammer 3 18.07.jpg

With 6 servo's I adjusted the inner sheaf to accomodate a 6V battery. The top snake runs the elevator and I opted to use another more substantial snake for the rudder

Conwy Soarer19/07/2012 14:17:34
351 forum posts
213 photos
Posted by FWAL on 18/07/2012 19:35:02:

The Hammer is almost there

So Mark, when will the maiden take place? Been watching this thread with interest, might be the next project. Travelling to Swansea for the Summer, hopefully see this in the air sometime, packing a few toys in the roof box this afternoon ready for the trip.

Jon

FWAL19/07/2012 18:10:41
314 forum posts
469 photos

Hi Jon

It wont be for a couple of weeks as we are off on our holidays this Saturday. I'm hoping to smuggle the Spook into the luggage.

The Hammer and Mefisto kits appear very well built and I think they offer extremely good value for money hence splashing out and buying both. The work required by the customer to complete the kits is pretty minimal whilst at the same time rewarding. I'm sure they will fly very well and to own a new complete F3F for under £350 is just face 1face 1face 1

Whilst the Hammer should be suited more to Rhossili the Mefisto will be having a very busy time at Hunts I would imagine. Given the more than adequate lift at Hunts I wont be too bothered if she works out to be over the advertised 450g LOL

Will look forward to flying with you

Mark

Rob - Flying Dog RC22/07/2012 02:01:39
19 forum posts
6 photos

I stuck a bit as other things keeps me busy, but managed to do a bit ...

Servos in the fuselage are in, I cut some plywood 12 mm thick in the wide "U" shape and screw them on both sides where servo screws are, will put some epoxy there later on.

fuss servos.jpg

Servo covers in the wing - I went for the supplied with the KIT, can't say I'm extremely happy with them as are a bit flimsy and I prefer more "me proof" stuff, but are not that bad and with careful servo placing are just right size.

For a time being they are hold just with some blenderm tape, after test flight I will think of something different so will look better.

temporary cover servos.jpg

What left is to instal all the horns and push rods, and then decide where to fit the RX.

Programming will be fun as I finally got my hands on MC4000 party

Will be maiden for hammer and TX at the same time

Rob - Flying Dog RC28/07/2012 01:41:47
19 forum posts
6 photos

My Hammer is almost finnished - inner nose left to be glued in

I had to reverse elevator and rudder servos as snakes were to short - now they are just the right lenght.

Tomorrow (today) I'll instal duplex module in my new radio and will do all the programming - if weather will be ok then I'll do maiden on Sunday at Horcrum (or something like that - never been there) - there will be 2 Hammers flying as my friend Neal will take his - plan is to record some video so fingers crossed it will not rain and wind will be just right

Rob - Flying Dog RC29/07/2012 18:29:03
19 forum posts
6 photos

I've maidened my Hammer today

I'm very happy with the model even tho I failed with full programming my new radio - just got the basics.

CG as per manual suits me (90mm) - Neal has his 10mm more back (100mm)

I flew without any ballast, my friend Neal had 700gr in his and after I flew his model I decided I will get some balast for mine as well. His model was visibly quicker and felt more on rails than mine, but that partialy will be problem with the settings (I had no mixers at all, no differential and sorted expo in the last flight)

I have some video - will upload it later on.

hammer finnished.jpg

hammer 1st flight.jpg

Edited By Robert Piechulski 1 on 29/07/2012 18:29:33

Rob - Flying Dog RC29/07/2012 22:01:40
19 forum posts
6 photos

Some video from todays flying.

Barnesyboy30/07/2012 13:38:05
350 forum posts
19 photos

Looks Great Rob, mine will be finished this week I promise lol

BB

Rob - Flying Dog RC30/07/2012 15:20:24
19 forum posts
6 photos

Mark - I'm still up for Hammering on the Great Orme

Simon Cunliffe16/11/2012 10:21:24
163 forum posts
10 photos

Well Mrs Cunliffe recently insisted that I bought a Hammer for my birthday, when she saw the bank statement she was a bit alarmed at how much DIY tools now cost : )

She'll get over it!

I on the other hand I think the Hammer looks great value and well made. I'm just chewing over the finishing off of the model.

I have covered a few models with a moderate to decent finish to them however they haven't been live hinged as are the aileron and flaps are on the Hammer. Can someone please advise on the best way to cover the wings?

Also to those that have completed their Hammers is there anything you would do differently about the build?

Rob - in one of your posts you mention the manual, do you mean the one sided A4 sheet with the diagram of the plane or am I missing something?

Oh and how do they fly?

Simon

Edited By Simon Cunliffe on 16/11/2012 10:22:05

Rob - Flying Dog RC16/11/2012 11:17:17
19 forum posts
6 photos

Hi Simon

manual : http://www.blejzyk.pl/images/blejzyk/pdf/Hammer-EN.pdf

Covering - That's up to you realy - I'm happy with Oracover - appart from the wing tip edges is was piece of cake to do.

Hinges on the wing were not covered - but I think it can be done on the top side - tail hinges are covered (see my picture earlier in this thread )

You might go for Varnish - some people like flying furniture - does the job - looks different.

Glassing is also an option.

Only one thing I'd do different with the Hammer is that before Covering I'd put 1 layer of Varnish - and then sand it with 320grade sand paper - to get rid of all the little fluffy bits - but that's purely for visual effect, when you look from 2m distance it will make no difference

How it flies? It's one of those models that if I crash it - I'd build another .

PS. Ballast tube should be installed before gluing the nose in - otherwise it's akward to do it later.

Cheers

Rob

Edited By Rob - Flying Dog RC on 16/11/2012 11:23:12

Tom Satinet16/11/2012 15:47:18
516 forum posts
Posted by Rob - Flying Dog RC on 29/07/2012 18:29:03:

I've maidened my Hammer today

I'm very happy with the model even tho I failed with full programming my new radio - just got the basics.

CG as per manual suits me (90mm) - Neal has his 10mm more back (100mm)

I flew without any ballast, my friend Neal had 700gr in his and after I flew his model I decided I will get some balast for mine as well. His model was visibly quicker and felt more on rails than mine, but that partialy will be problem with the settings (I had no mixers at all, no differential and sorted expo in the last flight)

I have some video - will upload it later on.

hammer finnished.jpg

hammer 1st flight.jpg

Edited By Robert Piechulski 1 on 29/07/2012 18:29:33

Is that the lengendary P4000 TX i spy next to the Hammer?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Addlestone Models
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us