Forum sponsored by CML

The RCM&E / Greenacres pics and video thread 2012

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Ashby - Moderator28/06/2012 11:08:32
10905 forum posts
1668 photos
605 articles

Hi Matthew, nice to see you again. That DR.1's a real peach.

Matthew Clive28/06/2012 11:17:34
31 forum posts

Thanks David, It flies really well and the power is just right with its saito 100. You just have to use more rudder when flying it than with other planes epsecially in cross wind landings like on sunday!

Andy Muckley28/06/2012 14:42:17
362 forum posts
13 photos

Hi Matt nice to see you on here

Matthew Clive28/06/2012 15:17:38
31 forum posts

Hi Andy. Are you building anything to replace your lost plane yet?

Ian Jones28/06/2012 15:25:51
3218 forum posts
1397 photos
Posted by Matthew Clive on 28/06/2012 11:06:03:

Hi all,

First posting on this forum, thought i'd join since I won the years subscription to the magazine at the fly in and thought i'd make the most of it. Plus there have been a couple of nice comments about how I flew with the DR1 over the weekend so it seems I've made some friends already! Joking aside though it was a really great weekend and I enjoyed many good flights and met some really great people.

Matt

ps. I hope Ian doesn't mind but i've submitted one of his pictures of me and the triplane as my avatar pic.

No problem Matt.

It doesn't matter how good the model is, with something like a DR1 bank & yank is absolute no-no and it needs to be flown to scale - you did, well done.

Matthew Clive28/06/2012 15:29:57
31 forum posts

Thanks Ian.

Ian Jones28/06/2012 15:50:16
3218 forum posts
1397 photos
Posted by Richard Harris on 25/06/2012 23:30:59:

Bit's and Bob's video, not great footage.

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 25/06/2012 23:33:49

Doh! Caught me changing the broken prop. embarrassed

My cartwheel was nothing like as majestic as Tim Hooper's but thankfully equally little damage and it was soon flying again. Perhaps it should be an Olympic discipline?

Edited By Ian Jones on 28/06/2012 15:53:11

Big Bandit28/06/2012 16:05:42
2436 forum posts
947 photos

Hi Matthew,

It flew or rather you flew it brilliantly thumbs up, most impressive.

Cheers,

Chris.

Big Bandit28/06/2012 16:33:36
2436 forum posts
947 photos

Just a few of my photo's, not up to the standard of the previous photo's on the tread but here goes.

Bobs King Altair, Nice one Bob thumbs up.

Bobs king altair.jpg

The Crescent Tornado looks good as well.

Bobs tornado.jpg

Tim and Netties collection, they all looked superb and flew very well.

Tim and Netties collection.jpg

These were fantastic particularly the P47 it was flown so well.

Part of the warbird collection.jpg

The Spit was really nice.

Very nice Spit.jpg

This had me smiling when Gromit took to his chute teeth 2.

Wallace and Gromit fly again.jpg

Great to see Chris's Matador flying, I particularly liked the diesel version.

Chris Botts Matador.jpg

I'm not sure if this was one of Richards collection, but it flew extremely well and looked fantastic.

One of the gyros.jpg

I think it was the Vic Smeed Popsie, as we all ran for cover.

Run for cover.jpg

Tim's Grunau was most impressive on the tow.

tims Grunau on the tow.jpg

Then back again, I think it was a later flight when Tim got drenched.

Tims Grunau.jpg

Simon's tug was also very impressive and did a great job of getting Tim's Grunau to a spec in the sky

Simons tug.jpg

I just need to enrol in a photography for beginners course at the local community college now.

Cheers,

Chris.

Tim Mackey28/06/2012 18:36:36
20919 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles

Nowt wrong with those pics Chris. It was the first flight with the Grunau that I got a drenching, subsequent flights remained dry..ish

Richard Harris28/06/2012 19:58:41
2051 forum posts
1890 photos

Nice photo's Christhumbs up, that indeed is one of mine...Gemini, minus the pilot whO bailed outembarrassed

We have got some pretty good photographers on this forum, I think it would be a good idea to have a thread on the 'do's and dont's' to help poiunt some of us in the right direction. What do you think? perhaps some tips off the Asher's?

Rich

Point and shoot department!

Tim Mackey28/06/2012 20:35:00
20919 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles

I think thats a damn good idea Rich.

Pete B - Moderator28/06/2012 20:43:09
7572 forum posts
732 photos

I didn't realise that it IS possible to land a Tripe without teetering from one wingtip to the other until I saw it several times on the Sunday - great flying, Mattthumbs upteeth 2

Photo's look fine, too, Chris. No problem with exposure, composition is good (at least your horizons are level!) and you'll just need a longer focal length lens to fill the frame in the air shots - but that just needs practice......

Pete

Bob Cotsford29/06/2012 10:07:02
7927 forum posts
436 photos
Posted by Pete B on 28/06/2012 20:43:09:

I didn't realise that it IS possible to land a Tripe without teetering from one wingtip to the other until I saw it several times on the Sunday - great flying, Mattthumbs upteeth 2

Photo's look fine, too, Chris. No problem with exposure, composition is good (at least your horizons are level!) and you'll just need a longer focal length lens to fill the frame in the air shots - but that just needs practice......

Pete

My Baronette usually goes a over t in a forward somersault as soon as the speed bleeds off! That Tripe had presence.

From talking to a few observers on the day, one thing that seems a common problem preventing people from flying at these meets is intimidation - the fear of not measuring up in some way.

When you look at some of the superbly detailed and finished models which are then flown with pinpoint accuracy (not looking at Lindsay's scale collection or Andy Ellison's missiles as examples here you understand) the thought of turning up with your more average models and bumbling aimlessly about the sky IS intimidating. I certainly found it hard to make that first flight at the meetings I've been to.

All I'll say is - push yourself into making that first flight. Once the initial nerves are overcome it really is a great day out flying with new people at new sites.

Let's see even more flyers there next year.

David Ashby - Moderator29/06/2012 10:54:44
10905 forum posts
1668 photos
605 articles
Posted by Richard Harris on 28/06/2012 19:58:41:

Nice photo's Christhumbs up, that indeed is one of mine...Gemini, minus the pilot whO bailed outembarrassed

We have got some pretty good photographers on this forum, I think it would be a good idea to have a thread on the 'do's and dont's' to help poiunt some of us in the right direction. What do you think? perhaps some tips off the Asher's?

Rich

Point and shoot department!

Very nice photos Chris. I've been thinking about some sort of photography section for a while now, after all we all take photos we like and it's nice to share them - models, anything else and anywhere else too.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 29/06/2012 10:55:18

Big Bandit29/06/2012 11:45:15
2436 forum posts
947 photos

Thanks All,

I do like Rich's suggestion of a photography section David, the last half decent camera I had was back in the dark ages of Celluloid. Just tips on what sort of camera and lenses to use for flying shots and such would help me to start with.

Cheers,

Chris

Lindsay Todd29/06/2012 11:57:37
1694 forum posts
1699 photos

I think the camera section is a great idea.

Bob, would hate to think that some of the more expensive models put people off, I am sure Andy would agree with me as would others, we all still shake when we have the first flight at an event, low key or otherwise - next time just come and whatch. Joking aside its about having fun, it doesn't matter what you have, I have had more fun this year with my Parkzone Trojan than anything else - wish I had taken it with me! I think the great thing about the RCM&E event is that everyone has a good time together irrelevant of what you fly - after all its the people that matter not the models.

Linds

David Ashby - Moderator29/06/2012 12:14:06
10905 forum posts
1668 photos
605 articles

Absolutely Lindsay.

Chris, do you want to christen the new section?

John Tee29/06/2012 12:14:51
766 forum posts
65 photos

From talking to a few observers on the day, one thing that seems a common problem preventing people from flying at these meets is intimidation - the fear of not measuring up in some way.

. Once the initial nerves are overcome it really is a great day out flying with new people at new sites.

Let's see even more flyers there next year.

Hi there, I didn't make it again this year, but I know the feeling quoted above. I go to the Brean flying holiday every year and meet a lot of the same fliers year after year, but I'm always one of the last to fly. Just nervous of flying with "strangers".

John

Tim Mackey29/06/2012 12:20:59
20919 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles

I think we need to make it clear that this is not just another section for people to simply show their photos.

I thought the idea was to help people with their photography technique, so any or all photos should have some sort of text accompanying it to explain how it was achieved - Focal length, Aperture settings and resultant DOF, shutter speed etc. Pitfalls, and general rules, minimum camera spec required for proper full frame pictures, both still and "on the wing".

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Gliders Distribution
Addlestone Models
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us