Mass Build 2013

Tucano parts set now available! - 27/11/12

Tucano

Tucano

the plan build article by Nigel Hawes - 29/10/12

FunnyFlyer26/06/2012 09:50:01
269 forum posts
11 photos

Love the idea of a loose "Fun Fighter" type theme - maybe opening up to WW1 and WW2 types.

Brings in the Parkzone, Multiplex, FMS ARTF brands as well as kit and plan builders.

Bob Cotsford26/06/2012 09:53:37
8382 forum posts
463 photos

expanding that theme, with the current tech in leccy fan units, you could have Vampires, Venoms, Hunters - who's up for building a twin fan Lightning?

Ian Jones26/06/2012 10:17:49
3220 forum posts
1397 photos

I would be keen on either of the "Fun Fighter" or "RCM&E Free plans" ideas.

Edited By Ian Jones on 26/06/2012 10:18:00

Concorde Speedbird26/06/2012 16:46:27
2732 forum posts
650 photos
Posted by A.A. Barry on 26/06/2012 08:42:55:

What about Whirlwinds??? cheeky

What about Whirlwinds and Concordes???!!!

CS

Big Bandit26/06/2012 17:39:45
2436 forum posts
947 photos
Posted by Martyn K on 26/06/2012 09:11:42:

A Fun fighter theme is OK with me, providing I can design my own....

Does that mean thet there needs to be some boundaries defining or just recognise the spirit of the theme (wingspan less than say 50" (1300mm))?

Martyn

Hi Martin,

Great to meet up at the weekend, and the little Hog 25 is brilliant just has to be built. Ian's vampire does well, what a great weekend.

I agree there needs to be boundaries or a loose formula, Since a brief discussion with BEB, I was thinking along the lines of up to 48" span fun fighter, IC 20 / 25 or Electric equivalent (to keep costs down), can be plan, kit built, OD or ARTF for anyone who hasn't the time to build. Basically so as many people who want to be included irrespective of time to build, building ability, design ability, can do. If we can keep the cost down as well that's more of an incentive to take part.

Like BEB has said GWS, PZ, for the foamies, Cambrian Fun fighter kits (£69) at the mo. Or even as I have suggested earlier blow a rubber powered plan up and do your own thing with construction, (only cause I have a Spit 5 and an FW from Flair along with a few West wings, KK, Veron kits) wink 2. We could even include 50's to 80's EDF jets (GWS A4) £69 from Galaxy with fan and motor.

I would most likely go down the OD build route and probably include the PZ T28, F4U and Spit for fun.

Cheers,

Chris

Concorde Speedbird26/06/2012 17:44:44
2732 forum posts
650 photos

Hi Chris

We've got a Balsa craft FW190 which we bought years ago. It was already built, just not covered and no servos installed. It's 48 inch span and has a MDS 17 up front (seems very light- the plane that is). Would it count to just cover that and then make it airworthy?

CS

Big Bandit26/06/2012 17:44:49
2436 forum posts
947 photos
Posted by FunnyFlyer on 26/06/2012 09:50:01:

Love the idea of a loose "Fun Fighter" type theme - maybe opening up to WW1 and WW2 types.

Brings in the Parkzone, Multiplex, FMS ARTF brands as well as kit and plan builders.

Hi FF,

Love the idea of including WW1 types.

Cheers,

Chris.

Martyn K26/06/2012 17:50:53
5072 forum posts
3678 photos
Posted by ConcordeSpeedbird on 26/06/2012 17:44:44:

Hi Chris

We've got a Balsa craft FW190 which we bought years ago. It was already built, just not covered and no servos installed. It's 48 inch span and has a MDS 17 up front (seems very light- the plane that is). Would it count to just cover that and then make it airworthy?

CS

I dont see wht not, there are 2 aspects to this, there is the buildathon for the die hards but that cumulates with the fly-in where as far as I am conerned, the more the merrier.

Martyn

Big Bandit26/06/2012 17:50:59
2436 forum posts
947 photos
Posted by ConcordeSpeedbird on 26/06/2012 17:44:44:

Hi Chris

CS

Hey CS, Cant see why not as long as it's airworthy wink 2 ie reliable motor, airframe, and RC gear. I might just get the Spit 5 blown to 48" and do a bit of combat, but somehow think I'd get well and trully flamed sad.

Cheers,

Chris.

Martyn K26/06/2012 17:52:48
5072 forum posts
3678 photos
Posted by Big Bandit on 26/06/2012 17:50:59:

Hey CS, Cant see why not as long as it's airworthy wink 2 ie reliable motor, airframe, and RC gear. I might just get the Spit 5 blown to 48" and do a bit of combat, but somehow think I'd get well and trully flamed sad.

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi Chris

Only if you oak it in petrol first.... and yes - it was great to meet up on Sunday. I am already looking forward to the next one.

BEB - is it time for a poll? Do we have enough suggestions yet? the nights are getting shorter - lets get building

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 26/06/2012 17:53:18

Concorde Speedbird26/06/2012 17:54:58
2732 forum posts
650 photos

I do love building- but what's the point of getting a Cambrian one when we have a perfectly good plane that is crying out to fly already? If I can come to Greenacres, we'll make it look really nice with weathering and panel lines- a first for me but not for Dad!

CS

Concorde Speedbird26/06/2012 17:57:43
2732 forum posts
650 photos

BEB - is it time for a poll? Do we have enough suggestions yet? the nights are getting shorter - lets get building

Martyn

I think it is. If we want people to build, then newcomers may take a little longer. And flying time will start to reduce come the cold, dark days of Autumn and Winter. I am 80% sure Funfighters will win.

CS

Martyn K05/07/2012 09:27:27
5072 forum posts
3678 photos

I have had a chat with BEB about this. we have come to a consenus that we will call a vote in early September. This will give you time to get your vintage models out of the way, get some flying and maintenance done and by September, the evenings will be noticeably shorter (and hopefully drier).

However, don't let me stop you thinking... any other ideas for a poll are welcome.. so far we have

• Club 25 themed models (or electric equivalent)
  • Retro (70's and 80's)
  • RCM&E free plans
  • Fun fighters (any generation)
  • WOT 4 (although there may be some commercial issues with this..)
  • Suggestions for other single kit based designs although sadly, the Galaxy kits are probably discounted now.

Thinking heads on... any more ideas?

Martyn

Ian Jones05/07/2012 12:33:37
3220 forum posts
1397 photos

I might well go for any of the options excpet the WOT4. I've flown a few and enjoyed them but I don't want one myself.

My favourite would be the RCM&E free plans - readily available if you don't have them already, often there's a wood pack etc. if anyone wants one and some of the builds are really easy, some more involved. Short of ARTF which this is not about ther seems to be something for everyone.

Andy Green05/07/2012 12:59:15
2279 forum posts
67 photos
2 articles

I've already pinned my colours to the mast, I'm building a Cuarre. Now if the forum select Retro or RCM&E plans I'm OK, otherwise I'll be building in isolation.

To be honest with a couple of noticable exceptions not many buildt last years mass build, so I'm somewhat dis heartened with the idea at the moment. So am haappy to go my own way this time.

Andy

Chris Bott - Moderator05/07/2012 13:14:17
6809 forum posts
1427 photos
1 articles
Posted by Andy Green on 05/07/2012 12:59:15:

To be honest with a couple of noticable exceptions not many buildt last years mass build,

Andy

Apart from the 84 models built by 60 builders that were added to the rollcall in the end... and there are still some builds going on.

Personally I think talk of next years is a little premature. I like the idea of leaving the vote until September.

Bob Cotsford05/07/2012 13:42:10
8382 forum posts
463 photos

My suggestion would be a general warbirds theme.

This would be anything that can be legitimately be given a military colour scheme, so could cover funfighters, Flair scouts, plan builds, edf jets, WW2 and WW1 fighters, BirdDogs and Austers - and lots more.

It would give an opening for anyone and everyone from scratchbuilders to RTFs.

Otherwise I'm ok with funfighters or retro, both are in stockwink

Lots already have Wots, so that would have a limited appeal as new builds.

Concorde Speedbird05/07/2012 17:51:35
2732 forum posts
650 photos

The Wot 4 idea was mine, and like I said on page 3, forget about it, no one is interested apart from me sadcrying

Funfighters sounds alright, and it is the most popular from what I have seen. Club 25 would provide a wide range, including Pegasus Jester biplanes of which I am a big fan.

What about own designs? It would be nice to see more people designing their own planes.

CS

Big Bandit05/07/2012 19:49:47
2436 forum posts
947 photos

I'm up for fun fighters / war birds, and it should not exclude the people who do not want to build their own models. I do feel that there should be an upper size limit, iether wing span or motor size in order to keep cost down and therefore enable the maximum number of people to partake should they wish to do so. OD's, plan built, kit built, ARTF and RTF's should all be elegible and IC Electric should be a matter of coice for the individual.

It should also not be restricted to singe engine types as long as a maximum wing span is stipulated for twin and four engine types ie 48" for single engine and 72" for twin and up to four engine types. There's kits and plan wood packs on the market at reasonable prices for anyone who wants to go that way.

Just my two pennth's worth.

Cheers,

Chris.

Olly P05/07/2012 20:41:16
3215 forum posts
181 photos

Any Fun-Fighter or warbird should count in MHO. If you want to build something at peanut scale (and I Probably will) then that is fine, if you want to build a 14 ft, quad engined monster, then that should count too, and so should ARTF/OD/Plan/Kit etc. I think they are all valid for a mass build - the more the merrier!

I might even be tempted to build a peanut scale one with a tiny motor and then a larger version for PSS.

Olly

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!