Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

ic days may be passing?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
bouncebounce crunch04/06/2012 15:34:09
1739 forum posts
212 photos

Are the days of ic models numbered with so much electric rtf, bnf, pnp models shipping our way? over 100-10 minute flights on a battery worth $60 Aussie, or fuel at $14 Aussie per litre at a minimum?

A.A. Barry04/06/2012 15:43:15
1922 forum posts
186 photos

Hopefully not in my days

Barry

Alan Cantwell04/06/2012 16:23:27
3039 forum posts

its only a matter of time, battery use times are getting better, much technology is coming in, i do know glow plug engines sales are way down, i will never go lekky, but more and more are

scott cuppello04/06/2012 16:33:53
874 forum posts
82 photos

Petrol is on the increase, not just EP.

Harry Wilson04/06/2012 16:36:40
81 forum posts
1 photos

There is nothing like the sound of a 4-stroke purring away. That said having come back to the hobby after several years I really like this new technology...quiet, clean, convenient and with no downsides so far as I am concerned.

If you have not tried it ... you must

Harry

Ben B04/06/2012 16:45:00
1461 forum posts
4 photos

I think people artificially seperate into "IC" and "electric". Why not have space for both? I love a nice IC engine spluttering away with a nice contrail of castor oil behind it. But I also like electric. At the end of the day, any powered plane is my bag....

Phil 904/06/2012 16:47:21
4287 forum posts
257 photos

glow engines will never go away. People still fly diesel, rubber power and control line. Why would anyone fly control line when RC is so good now (just because they like it)

Electric will become the first choice for most for sports flying with petrol for larger models (if not already)

I fly glow and electric and glow. Glow still has a place. the 4 stroke glow is special and suits scale models very well.

some electric scale now have sound systems but the mechanical glow will motor will always be preferred by some over electrical motors. Modelling is not always a logical process why would you spend months cutting balsa to a plan to stick together to make a model you could buy readymade for a third of the price

Edited By Phil B on 04/06/2012 16:48:48

Tom T04/06/2012 16:49:48
743 forum posts
31 photos

I hope it doesn't fade to soon. I hope to see IC fly for a little while yet. I see IC as models and then electric a toys. Thats not ment to affend anyone its just IC seems a little bit more dangerous so I wouldn't class it as a toy.

I hope IC sticks for a while yet, don't think model airshows will be the same with out the big IC engines and turbines if it is all electric. What would happen to the scale sound of models.....wouldn't be model flying anymore would be more toy flying.

Tom

Tom Wright 204/06/2012 17:00:42
3908 forum posts
297 photos

The comments so far and information from other sources strongly suggest that the world market for r/c models is still expanding rapidly .As a consequence i/c sales will be strong with a turn over probably more than it was some years back but the ratio in terms of relative sales is more likely to put EP way in front .

The developments in EP recent years has seen a large number of people returning to the hobby along with many new people that start with EP and then often progress on to I/C so its all good providing the safety aspects of the hobby are kept inline with the expansion.

Tom.

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 04/06/2012 17:01:17

Solly04/06/2012 17:14:17
259 forum posts
2 photos

I know that some modellers switch to electric flying because "it's clean, quiet and convenient", but to me they miss the point of i/c modelling. I fly using glow, petrol and diesel engines because I LIKE the mess and the sounds they produce. I like operating them, fixing them if they go wrong, tuning them so they are "just right" in the air. A quarter scale fighter just doesn't sound right as it almost silently hums it's way past. To me the i/c engine represents a large part of the hobby,- I do have one electric powered aircraft but the challenge just isn't there. Please bear in mind when you reply that this is just my opinion and I know lots of flyers who obviously get great satisfaction from flying electric. But I've tried it and I don't.

Ernie04/06/2012 17:36:07
2542 forum posts
24 photos

Instant gratification is the name of the game today.Why bother to lavish care and attention on a model, why bother to set up a wee fourstroke so that it is just perfect, get all the settings just right

Buy it ready to go, switch it on, smash it to bits, buy another one, and do the same again

Oh the fun of bruised fingers, hours flicking away, oil saturated clothes, and oh, the smell of castor

ernie

Paul Marsh04/06/2012 18:16:45
4104 forum posts
1235 photos

The journey is more important than the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.”cool

Edited By Paul Marsh on 04/06/2012 18:24:48

Dean04/06/2012 18:20:10
305 forum posts
54 photos

Completely agree with you Solly and Ernie

All the Things people say are negatives about i.c I see them as good things, I love the smell even when it is still on your jacket the next day mmmmm smile d At the end of a session I don't find it any extra hassle to clean my model I even use it as a chance to give the airframe a good thorough look over.

Can't see me ever buying a PNP or BNF type model to be honest.

Not had the pleasure of tinkering with a FS yet but that will change soon with my Flair Puppeteer.

Dean

P.S I do have 2 electric models

Edited By Dean on 04/06/2012 18:21:23

ingrid lunau04/06/2012 18:20:57
4 forum posts

Their will always be those that prefer one discipline or the other. However, I am sure that I am not the only one who flies mainly electric because of its convenience.

I love high revving glow engines. My Dub Jett 50 being my favorite. Problem is to enjoy flying glows, entails a long drive, for which I don/t often have the time to spare. With my electric models, I am able to drive to a quiet spot eight minutes down the road besides the sea (which is pleasant) and fly for as often and or as long as I wish. That is the big difference. I have a hangar full of glows which hardly get flown, but I shall never part with them.

Paul Marsh04/06/2012 18:29:01
4104 forum posts
1235 photos

Would I give up this: NO WAY!!!

Edited By Paul Marsh on 04/06/2012 18:29:44

Peter Miller04/06/2012 18:31:20
11505 forum posts
1370 photos
10 articles

Not while I can start an engine!

I don't really care what other people fly. I will fly i.c. power until I leave this world and will continue flying i.c. power in the next.

Phil 904/06/2012 18:37:13
4287 forum posts
257 photos
Posted by ingrid lunau on 04/06/2012 18:20:57:

Their will always be those that prefer one discipline or the other. However, I am sure that I am not the only one who flies mainly electric because of its convenience.

I love high revving glow engines. My Dub Jett 50 being my favorite. Problem is to enjoy flying glows, entails a long drive, for which I don/t often have the time to spare. With my electric models, I am able to drive to a quiet spot eight minutes down the road besides the sea (which is pleasant) and fly for as often and or as long as I wish. That is the big difference. I have a hangar full of glows which hardly get flown, but I shall never part with them.

The biggest danger to IC models could be flying sites becoming fewer?

flyeruk04/06/2012 19:06:08
472 forum posts
58 photos

I have just got my first 4 stroke,Saito fa100,started it up for the first time today,sounds fantastic. I also love the smell,mess and all that goes with it.

simon burch04/06/2012 19:34:10
754 forum posts
19 photos

I've gone all electric on both my heli's and my planes in the past...........and got bored. There is something about a nitro/petrol model which electric will never replace. I enjoy flying both, and they both have their advantages, but it must be the engineer in me, or the little kid that is still fascinated with little engines.

Cheers,

Simon

Alan Cantwell04/06/2012 19:47:30
3039 forum posts

this seems to be getting to a i prefer this to that thread, if you prefer this to that is not the issue, the issue is are glow motors declining, and if i tell you that last year glow sales where down 40% (shiopkeeper figures, just one) can this show you where sales are going? electric WILL become prominant, sales are mental, i am a dedicated IC flyer, but even i can see the future, powerfull motors, high capacity batteries, TOTALLY authentic sound systems, more and more sites are noise prevalant, noise is now the number one pollutant for the masses, i dont think IC will ever dissapear, but i do know its taking a hammering, its even getting hard to sell 2 stroke motors 2nd hand, i recently sold an in the box new irvine 40 red==for 20quid!! just could not get rid of it, all they need to do is remove the mystic from electric--(does anyone know just how to work out what to use what with what,) and whatch sales soar, i think that the only thing keeping many from converting, is they just havnt a clue what to go for, i do feel a bit of a traitor defying my IC blood, but lekky will become more popular, and more, and more,

All Topics | Latest Posts

This thread is closed.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!