Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Stevens AeroModel Liddle Rod

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Robin Kearney07/06/2012 22:24:26
1079 forum posts
183 photos
Thought I'd make a little post to share some pics of the LiddleRod which I built in a few quiet moments today.

I have to say the kit is really nice, the balsa was all similar density, the nicest laser cutting I've seen meant the bits practically fell out. The constuction is pretty much self jigging thanks to the 10s of litle tabs which interlock. You simply have to dry fit the components and then run some thin cyano along the join.

The only snag I've found so far is that the wire from the motor to the AR6400 is a little short and will require lengthening, my souldering isnt brilliant and the wires are pretty small so I'm a bit nervous about doing this, just need to pluck up the courage 

I've got a few sheets of Solarfilm Sola-lite covering for the wings, might have a go at that tomorrow.

I didnt bother taking any pics of the build because the brilliant PDF on the StevensAero website shows you pretty much every stage, it can be downloaded here.

Stevens Aero product page here.

Edited By Robin Kearney on 07/06/2012 22:24:56

Edited By Robin Kearney on 07/06/2012 22:25:59

Edited By Robin Kearney on 07/06/2012 22:26:24

Paul McCaughey08/06/2012 18:03:56
110 forum posts
11 photos

looks good. wait to see the colour scheme you go with!

just finishing my SA Rockette. covering was going fine till i tried to do the top wing panel and the rounded sides. not happy with the ripples and folds in it even though i really took my time with it. tempted to redo it but not sure i will be able to make it better.

Robin Kearney08/06/2012 20:33:06
1079 forum posts
183 photos

I love the Rockette, it's such a pretty little aeroplane. I've also got the S-Pou, if I loose the battle with my will power I can see myself accidentally ending up with a whole squadron

What covering did you use? I've covered the wings today in SoLite, oh my it's thin stuff! It wrinkles so easily.

I'd always say take it off and do it again, I've made several mistakes on the funfighter I'm also building, each time I forced myself to re-do it and every time I've ended up with a better job.

r.

Pat (rActive) Harbord09/06/2012 00:02:24
634 forum posts
49 photos

Looks sweet, just ordered a liddleGee from micron. I built a SA g-ride years ago, sounds like the quality is just as good. I might see if I can scan the sheet balsa and use as the basis for a series of variants, must try a bipe version for instance.

Robin Kearney09/06/2012 11:29:02
1079 forum posts
183 photos

The LiddleGee is a cute little thing, it reminds me of a rubber powered model I built from an old Eagle book of balsa models years ago!

I managed to nab a few hours alone this morning whilst the family shopped so I've covered the wings. Still have the motor wire to extend and to setup the controls. Our next indoor club meeting isnt until the first week in July, at this rate I'll have finished the S-Pou too!

Pic of it below, I put more in the gallery here.

Pat (rActive) Harbord09/06/2012 12:15:33
634 forum posts
49 photos

Love it, hard to deviate from SAs schemes isn't it. They look just right

Paul McCaughey09/06/2012 14:28:56
110 forum posts
11 photos

nice scheme and covering job.

had a look at the rockette again lat night and it's not too bad. think i'll live with it. i need to get it up and running as i have just lost my champ. a thermal type thing sucked it cloudwards and i lost sight of it. it could be anywhere in a 2mile radius. of course i hand't got round to putting a sticker on it after the brother in law lost it the other month.

i got a parkzone polecat in the post this morning tried to fly it before i flew the champ and it was all over the sky/field. think it's a bit beyond my skill level, i spent more time picking it out the long grass than i did flying it.

Robin Kearney09/06/2012 21:30:58
1079 forum posts
183 photos

rActive, I have to agree about the scheme, but I'm also a little unimaginative in such areas, and when the designer presents such a pretty scheme I find it hard not to copy it

Paul, sorry to hear about the champ, interested in your thoughts about the Polecat, I've been tempted by one of those on a few occasions. Have you flown any of the other small parkzone 'planes? Was just wondering how it compared to say, the Sukhoi - which was far too much for me to handle, especially indoors!

r.

Alan Randall09/06/2012 22:11:08
446 forum posts
108 photos

Depending on which motor you pick from the Parkzone parts bin, some motors have longer power leads than others.

Paul McCaughey10/06/2012 19:03:34
110 forum posts
11 photos

robin, not had any of the other parkzone planes so can't compare. the polecat is even nicer looking 'in the flesh' than it is in photos. i stuck a 150ma battery in it to start with. it wanted to go vertical on full throttle hand launches. when i managed to keep it up it was bloody quick. indoors it would be bonkers unless you fly in one of those american indoor domes which they play american football in!

not sure if i would get on better with a different transmitter and being able to set the rates and some expo. i've only got a dx5 which is a bit limited i've got a high and low rate and thats it, the low rate never made much of a difference. theres a post on rc groups with various rates and expo's posted for the polecat. most of these would probably be more suitable for learning the aircraft with than what i can get with my dx5. been thinking about getting a better transmitter so this might be the next purchase.

micron do extension leads i think. if not try deltang.co.uk, he can provide them(and bettery ones) as i was going to get one but my motor lead for the rockette just reaches to the deltang receiver i am using.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
CADMA
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us