By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

What does your wife or significant other half think of your hobby?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Q: How does your wife, partner or significant other half view your hobby?

They fly!  
2%

Great  
25%

Good  
43%

Not bad  
21%

Restricted  
7%

Not good  
2%

(563 votes)

TheFlyingCrust09/06/2012 00:12:11
611 forum posts
67 photos

Somewhere between Good and Great. As long as I put some time in with DIY she's happy. Often joins me at the flying sites and may yet get to fly.

Restrictions are self-imposed. Don't want to look like I'm extracting the urine.

Ian

Phil Claridge09/06/2012 00:39:11
1924 forum posts
32 photos

friendly toerance, she bought me a kit one christmas. asked a flying buddy what i wanted to make sure it was the right one. usual banter over handbags v models, think i beat her at the moment

Martin Harris09/06/2012 00:53:23
9161 forum posts
229 photos

As I use my real name in this forum, I'd just like to say that my wife is the most tolerant, patient, understanding and reasonable woman in the world.

I'd like to....

Actually, she puts up with my obsession pretty well but every so often I push the boundaries a bit too far and I'm left in no doubt that I need to pay her and the house a little more attention!

MikeS09/06/2012 07:08:37
818 forum posts
240 photos
Well Im a family man so budget is limited. The mrs is good to a point when it comes to building in the house. Spending is ok on small things aka servos etc. A new model well that needs a bit more tact. The shoe and bag angle does not work as not her thing. However the cost of hair and nails every few months helps win the new plane.

She is very good, comes down the club and supports me.
iawnski09/06/2012 17:47:41
1076 forum posts
28 photos

took her once to see what i do and the comment was , face 11is that all they doface 11 ,never came again.

buster prop09/06/2012 19:21:13
488 forum posts
13 photos

I think SWMBO means 'She Who Must Be Obeyed' but I saw SWIMBO on here which had me puzzled, probably a typo. Back to the thread, my wife is not at all interested in model flying but she does tolerate it as long as I don't spend too much too often or want to go flying when she's arranged a family get together etc. Probably she's glad that I'm not a gambler, alcoholic, smoker or chasing other women. I'd vote 'Not Bad'.

buster prop09/06/2012 20:18:45
488 forum posts
13 photos

SWIMBO - She Who (Immediately or Instantly) Must Be Obeyed? Possibly not a typo.

graham kindberg109/06/2012 22:18:17
129 forum posts

Very tolerant, visited the field first time in 18 years and the only comment was, still the same cowboy???......i thought i was a better cowboy!

I work 14 hours a day in my own business, am fortunate to have a good income and a hobby budget i am never able to spend. Its the time i spend on family/hobby that i consider the most important thing to get right.There has been many a time i would have liked to finish off a model, but gone for a walk on the beach instead.

I have always considered it to be a selfish hobby if not balanced correctly

Lindsay Todd09/06/2012 22:40:42
1705 forum posts
1707 photos

No problems at all, I hide nothing and she often comes and participates at some of the events, been known to make rather nice cakes so I have nothing to complain about and a lot to be grateful for.

That being said I try to find a balance.

Tim Hooper10/06/2012 21:35:10
2870 forum posts
2363 photos

* Whistling smugly*............

My partner, Netty, has taken up the hobby in the last few years as many of you know. She builds and flies her own fleet of models (9 as of now), and passed her A test a couple of years ago.

Additionally, she's a massive source of encouragement in my own modelling projects.

Nobody said life was easy...wink 2

John Laird11/06/2012 09:15:39
433 forum posts
48 photos

My wife used to come out and watch me flying but gave up after I had a lightweight glider totalled in a mid-air by an aerobatic model which had 2 minor dents. Her nerves couldn't stand waiting on the next mid-air. I declined her instructions to punch the other flier and get my money back!!

Don Fry11/06/2012 10:25:30
4557 forum posts
54 photos

Just do not make a comment on shoe purchases. And by the way, a piece of knowledge, when the price of shoes is mentioned, the price can be quoted for each.

Mike Etheridge 111/06/2012 10:34:03
1537 forum posts
429 photos

My wife thinks I have 20 model planes in the loft but in reality there is over 30 some donkeys years old!

I usually sneak into my garage to carry out covert modelling, the only time i have worked indoors recently was when I covered my Super 60 fuselage with Oratex during the winter before last. My excuse was that the covering exercise was no different to her 'doing the ironing'.

She has always 'had it in' for planes,her dad was a squadron leader at RAF Wittering during the war---I never met him.

MJE

Ian Jones14/06/2012 00:59:05
3219 forum posts
1397 photos

I'm a grumpy old man if I don't get my flying fixes and my wife is getting fed up with it. So to make me more bearable she's becoming more tolerant, even encouraging at times. smile

Definitely an improving situation, pity my health isn't improving too sad.

Nev14/06/2012 17:11:13
592 forum posts
221 photos

I went for Not Bad. I can usually get an hour or so building of an evening while the soaps are on and I’m probably more conscious about over spending than the wife. It’s the flying time I miss but that’s more down to a young family and so Sunny Sundays were out and about, not at the field with the others at the club. I tend to get my flying in on a Saturday morning of after work in the week, at least we don’t have restriction on flying times.

Aaron Stevens14/06/2012 21:00:07
125 forum posts
17 photos

mine hates me messing with engines, i love the smell of burnt glow fuel in the morning, just started a new job so a bit more cash for planes yay

Erfolg15/06/2012 19:25:21
11651 forum posts
1297 photos

My wife is a Golfer and cannot understand why any one would want to fly models when they could go golfing.

Then again, she limits her spending on equipment, she tells me. Apparently the same is true with clothing etc. She only has 4 wardrobes of clothing (2 in our bedroom and the two daughters wardrobes). I have one, well mostly my cloths. On the other hand i am permitted to store a limited amount of kits and models on the top of the said wardrobes.

As for my modelling purchases, mainly small value items, mainly from HK, being carefull to stay less than £15.

Tony Bennett15/06/2012 19:29:40
5081 forum posts
129 photos

she has said she likes the slim twin and why dont i have one for myself. surprise

she don't know i got one coming yet.

Olly P15/06/2012 20:24:01
3215 forum posts
181 photos

Our rule was I could have one more airframe than she had sewing machines....

Then I got some more from Alan....

She has the majority of the space in the craft room, mostly for sewing stuff, but at least a new model costs less than a new sewing machine or overlocker.....

Martin Harris15/06/2012 21:03:51
9161 forum posts
229 photos

You can pick up old sewing machines up for a song at car boot sales etc. Buy her lots...

Edited By Martin Harris on 15/06/2012 21:04:30

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
CML
CADMA
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us