By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

What does your wife or significant other half think of your hobby?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Q: How does your wife, partner or significant other half view your hobby?

They fly!  
2%

Great  
25%

Good  
43%

Not bad  
21%

Restricted  
7%

Not good  
2%

(563 votes)

Cuban826/01/2019 12:58:38
2866 forum posts
1 photos

Both in our early 60s now and have known each other since age 17. Always share interests, my wife has been interested in aviation since a child, when her dad used to take her to London Airport's 'Queen's Buildings'. She enjoys all the modelling and full size events but is disappointed at not being able to spend more time over the club field because of the primitive facilities (not just a problem for the ladies, of course). Aircraft recognition and aviation general knowledge? I'd pit her against any bloke.

Percy Verance26/01/2019 13:35:42
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Geoff

I rather suspect some are not joking. In the past I've worked with blokes whom have had the make, colour and model of car decided by their better half prior to it being bought. And in one particular instance, the wife didn't drive! I've heard similar stories regarding fishing gear and golf club membership too, though not all from the same bloke......

Personally I wouldn't/couldn't tolerate it. I left bullies behind in my school days.......

Conversely, although my partner has a greater income than me, she still mentions any prospective purchases ( clothes etc) prior to buying, even though I've told her it's her money and she's entitled to spend it how she wishes. 

Edited By Percy Verance on 26/01/2019 13:38:43

Peter Christy26/01/2019 13:57:04
1721 forum posts

Mine has absolutely no interest in any of my hobbies whatsoever! She lets me get on with them simply because they get me out of the house....!

--

Pete

Stearman6526/01/2019 14:19:58
769 forum posts
893 photos

Iv'e had many hobbies over the 70 years since I started model aircraft, from scuba diving to ocean sailing, my current wife (24 years), knew what to expect when we married, so I have no complaints.yes

Percy Verance26/01/2019 14:23:09
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Peter

Mine is a really keen gardner, and she sees gardening as her hobby/relaxation tool. As a result, she prefers me not to do anything in the garden, unless it involves heavy lifing. She actually encourages me to go flying rather than *interfere* with her garden......

No argument from me............ smiley

SONNY MONKS26/01/2019 14:28:03
269 forum posts

A man definately needs a hobby,or we would go barmy,well,i know i would hahaha.

John Tee26/01/2019 15:03:57
815 forum posts
65 photos

It was my wife who got me back into modelling after showing her where I flew at the Brean modeller holiday while on holiday in Somerset. That was 21 years ago. If I dither about justifying an expense she "persuades" me, not that I really need persuadingwink

John

John Tee26/01/2019 15:06:21
815 forum posts
65 photos

My apologies to Sue for creditting Sonny with the thread revivalcrook

John

Stuphedd26/01/2019 15:44:42
686 forum posts
361 photos

I think she accepts its the lesser of all the other evils I have ! but it does keep me out the pub .

cheers !!wink

SONNY MONKS26/01/2019 15:51:57
269 forum posts

I totally agree with you there pete,thats where your money goes,if you go boozing a lot,for what you can spend on a night out,especially in city centres,you can but a model!

SONNY MONKS26/01/2019 15:52:34
269 forum posts

buy a model i mean.

SONNY MONKS26/01/2019 16:05:19
269 forum posts

to add to that pete,it takes me three days to come round after going out,which is why im lucky if i go out once a month,or every six weeks or so,could be longer if im busy with a build.

PeterF26/01/2019 16:15:15
485 forum posts
675 photos

I am well set with my wife, she grew up with her father and brother flying RC and it was those two fine gentlemen who got me involved in model flying. Unluckily we live away from my in laws so getting to fly with them is an infrequent event. She has her hobbies too, gardening and paper / card crafting and that equally racks up the pounds, I am always amazed at how much quality paper and card stock costs as well as all the dies and embossing stamps. But then she is amazed at what balsa wood costs. What has turned out to be a useful cross fertilisation is she has a CNC cutter and I found I could use it for all the lettering and paint masks on the quarter scale Tiger Moth I completed last year.

CARPERFECT26/01/2019 16:30:54
504 forum posts
9 photos

Now in my 31st year of rc flying. My wife had never taken any interest in my hobby until i started flying water planes at Ullswater. She now has all the dates in her diary, I think it`s more of she can get a day out in the lakes, than a day flying planes. We sometimes come back to Yorkshire via Blackpool, so gets to the sea as well, if we come back via the Dales, we stop of at a very nice Pub in Austwick for Sunday lunch. I never tell her if i break a model, or buy something new. My view is the less they know the better.

Edited By CARPERFECT on 26/01/2019 16:37:20

Kim Taylor26/01/2019 17:27:30
299 forum posts
55 photos

My wife has no interest in model aeroplanes, but looks on in a kind of "yes dear" fashion.

I think she prefers me to be out flying than risking life and limb on one of my motorcycles or (my previous hobby / obsession) motor sport marshalling.

I guess when she starts to encourage me to go out on the 'bike I should start to worry!!dont know

As far as finance goes, she trusts me not to break the bank, although I always discuss any bigger purchases with her (such as a new kit, etc.).

All in all, a satisfactory arrangement that has served us well for over 40 years.yes

Kim

Richard. W.26/01/2019 18:56:57
66 forum posts

I have to say that my wife is brilliant (Yes, I have to say that) wink 2 ...........Seriously though, she's very happy and relaxed about my hobbies. I have both the utility room and a double bedroom exclusively for mogglin' and all she asks is that I keep within those limits and don't spread stuff to other rooms.

She's even tolerant of the smells from dope, thinners, resins, etc.......... As for spending, it's not an issue. Our finances are 100% combined and once the bills and living expenses are paid, the surplus is ours to enjoy. As long as she gets a couple of weeks holiday in the sun every year, away from all thoughts of work or hobbies, she's happy.

Yes, I'm very lucky.. Took me two attempts but this one's a keeper, lol. thumbs up heart

kevin b26/01/2019 19:18:05
1776 forum posts
140 photos

I'm afraid I don't qualify to vote in this poll.

However, living on my own in a large house, with lots of rooms full of aeroplanes and a very well kitted out workshop, does have its compensations. wink 2

I have owned a few books, but the lending library is useful. devil

Stephen Jones26/01/2019 19:20:31
2784 forum posts
1604 photos
Posted by Stearman65 on 26/01/2019 14:19:58:

Iv'e had many hobbies over the 70 years since I started model aircraft, from scuba diving to ocean sailing, my current wife (24 years), knew what to expect when we married, so I have no complaints.yes

Now are you telling us you`re wife is 24 years old or that you have been married for 24 years dont know

Steve

Stearman6526/01/2019 19:34:48
769 forum posts
893 photos
Posted by Stephen Jones on 26/01/2019 19:20:31:

Now are you telling us you`re wife is 24 years old or that you have been married for 24 years dont know

Steve

I'm too much a gentleman to tell you her age, but she's 12 months younger than me.secret

Richard. W.26/01/2019 22:22:14
66 forum posts
Posted by Stephen Jones on 26/01/2019 19:20:31:

Steve

If his current wife is 24 years old, I'm surprised he's got any energy left for mogglin'.!! smile o smile p teeth 2

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sussex Model Centre
CADMA
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us