Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Priory Models Silhouette

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
martyn sharp08/06/2012 17:28:09
420 forum posts
10 photos

Hi is anybody out there building or thinking of building a Priory Models Silhouette

martyn

Alan Cantwell08/06/2012 17:38:36
3039 forum posts

why?

Chris Bott - Moderator08/06/2012 17:44:11
6642 forum posts
1374 photos
1 articles

I've had one for absolutely ages.

It's electric of course these days, goes very well. A bit heavy compared to modern designs but it holds it's own in a wind quite well.

Kevin Fairgrieve08/06/2012 18:42:03
1585 forum posts
2844 photos

Mine sadly is no more.

Totalled it a few weks ago. My own fault. I was one mistake to low.

I shall miss it. I did my first low wing flight with this after the "trainer" phase.

As said before is a little on the heavy side and would go better with a .46 up front. I only had a .40.

Kev

PS The wing is basicly sound if wanted!

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 08/06/2012 19:02:55

PatMc08/06/2012 20:15:13
4166 forum posts
519 photos

I flew one until I crashed it about 6 years ago - I left spin recovery a yard too low. crook

Mine was initially powered with a ringed Irvine 40, when that wore out changed to the ABC version. I thought that power was about right. It's a pleasant sports areobatic but I thought the controls a tad stodgy. Only bad characteristic was that the nose dropped sharply when rudder was applied. This made stall turns "interesting". I currently have a Ripmax Druine Akrobat that has the same peculiarity. The reason for this was once explained to me as it's a known phenomenon with some full size a/c. Something to do with the rudder interfering with the airflow from the tailplane.

Priory Silhouette Priory Silhouette

IanN09/06/2012 16:46:12
1675 forum posts
119 photos

An older chap that I worked with briefly a few years ago gave me one of these. A one time r/c flyer, his eyesight had deteriorated and he'd moved on to trains and boats. When he asked me if I wanted a partially built Silhouette I had no idea what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised when I got it

silhouette

I agree with the other comments above re it being slightly heavy by modern standards. This one will be a flea's whisker under 21oz /sq ft with OS46LA

Original plan was to use a PAW 35

silhouette paw installation

not only does that allow the fully enclosed exhaust arrangement shown above, it gets the wing loading down to c20.4oz per sq / ft, and that wonderful piece of Brit engineering will have - correctly propped - more useable grunt than the OS

However, I don't have a great amount of diesel fuel left and there's no way on this planet I'm paying LMS prices for those small tins of Model Technics stuff. So, I'll fly it with the OS this summer then revert to the PAW when I next get the chance to pick up a couple of large cans of Southern Modelcraft's finest- probably at Much Marcle

Alan Cantwell09/06/2012 16:49:37
3039 forum posts

I have had one as well, had a few in fact, but i still dont know why you want to know? what info do you seek?

Alan Randall09/06/2012 22:08:05
446 forum posts
108 photos

I bought one of these at a show in the early 90s. It built into a nice looking between the wars style plane like those above. My only regret is that I mounted the engine inverted to keep it all in the cowl with a dustbin silencer. The engine never ran reliably inverted and I bent the conrod due to flooding at least once. The end came when I was landing with the engine having gone sick again. A fellow club member with a couldn't care less attitude, baulked me and the engine died as I tried to open up to go round again. Crunch.

IanN09/06/2012 23:19:05
1675 forum posts
119 photos

If you'd had a nice PAW that wouldn't have happened. Diesels don't care which way up they're mounted smiley

PatMc09/06/2012 23:27:43
4166 forum posts
519 photos

If you turn the engine over a couple of times by hand before attaching the glow battery & applying the starter you would be aware if it's been over-primed.

By doing this an inverted 2 stroke is less likely to suffer hydraulic lock problems than an upright one.

Alan Cantwell09/06/2012 23:33:15
3039 forum posts

ah, but if you turn the cowl round, you can mount the engine upright, and still get it on the cowl,

PatMc09/06/2012 23:34:41
4166 forum posts
519 photos

But it looks much nicer inverted. wink 2

leccyflyer10/06/2012 00:17:49
1224 forum posts
297 photos

Funnily enough I just put my Silhouette fuselafe in the bin only yesterday. She originally flew on an Irvine 46, mounted inverted, and was my first low winger. Frightened the life out of me at the time. In later years I converted her to electric, with a Twister 60 and 16xCP2400s on a 12x6" APC-E and she went very well.

A couple of crashes down the line saw the fuselage wing seats damaged and getting heavier with each repair. Then, last week having not flown the model for a couple of years I took out all the gear, broke up the damaged fiselage and binned it.

I've got a new replacement cowl here somewhare if anyone is looking for one.

Skeeter27/07/2012 19:34:26
17 forum posts
I'm in the middle of my build of one of these. Was a bit stuck for the colour scheme till i saw this thread. Some beauties there.
IanN27/07/2012 19:47:45
1675 forum posts
119 photos

Funny how so many of us seem to have settled on a "Military trainer" type scheme. This model certainly lends itself well to that

Iceyfan06/06/2013 00:51:39
4 forum posts

Post for Leccyflyer, do you still have that spare cowl for the silhouette? I just stuffed mine into a stone wall, and the cowl ( amongst other things!) is totalled. I have loved this model and so want to bring it back. Woodwork now fixed, but am struggling to find a cowl.

Malcolm Blake 103/05/2014 17:19:48
92 forum posts

I built and flew a couple of this model in the early nineties but with each of them, when landing on grass, there was problems with the wing mountings for the undercarriage ripping out.

Does anyone know if that problem has been improved on because I'm thinking of going along for yet another one.

The Silhouette has such a lovely shape and appearance.

fly boy303/05/2014 21:03:47
3475 forum posts
18 photos

Hi Martyn, I do not think they have a web site, only a phone line. A Google search came up with this.

**LINK** Its a 2011 number but worth a try if required.. Cheers

David Davis04/05/2014 05:45:23
3349 forum posts
580 photos

....and if they don't make them anymore, I have an incomplete model listed on eBay.

LINK

David Pearce 404/05/2014 09:12:19
312 forum posts
37 photos

Having only recently returned to the hobby I've never seen these before. There maybe newer models better suited to electric flight but I doubt if any look as good. There's something about that cowl and tail feathers that make it look good. It's certainly inspired some great colour schemes!

Edited By David Pearce 4 on 04/05/2014 09:14:13

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Addlestone Models
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us