Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Depron Spitfire

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Glenn Moore14/06/2012 20:40:04
152 forum posts
127 photos

Its been a long time since the Vulcan was finished and I have been wanting to get going with this project for over a year. As usual I will build as light as possible but I still want to add a bit of detail. It will be a mixture of 6mm and 3mm depron for the formers and 2mm for the skins. Hopefully it wont take too long to complete.

Glenn

plan001.jpg

Simon Chaddock14/06/2012 20:57:15
5580 forum posts
2941 photos

Glenn

Nice to see you building again in my favourite material!

What size is the Spit going to be?

Is that rule 24" (if so it will be big) or 36" (in which case it will be huge)

The Spit has an awful lot of double curves!

Will follow the build with interest.

Glenn Moore14/06/2012 21:13:27
152 forum posts
127 photos

Hi Simon

Thats a 1m rule so its going to be an interesting size, This will be my third depron spitfire and they get a little bigger each time.

spitfire 042.jpg

Glenn Moore15/06/2012 19:01:12
152 forum posts
127 photos

I messed around with the scale for a while and eventually decided on 88" wingspan which is more or less 1/5 scale. I felt this would best suit the power options I had in mind.

Bottom half of the fuselage has gone together well and I am trying to keep the back end as light as possible to help with balance later.

lower deck006.jpglower deck005.jpg

Simon Chaddock15/06/2012 20:03:48
5580 forum posts
2941 photos

Glenn

Very impressive!

Will the depron skin be 'glassed' in some way?

Glenn Moore16/06/2012 06:50:32
152 forum posts
127 photos

Hi Simon, at the moment I am looking at tissue/pva finish to make painting easier and be a bit more ding proof but glass skin would add too much weight although I will see what the weight is like as the structure takes shape before making too many decisions

Glenn

bouncebounce crunch16/06/2012 08:08:52
1739 forum posts
212 photos

I have never used depron, but man you guys are producing crackers, i might have to check this stuff out and give it a go.

thanks for sharing

Glenn Moore16/06/2012 14:42:27
152 forum posts
127 photos

Thanks bounce, lets hope this baby flies how I imagine it will.

Here is a view of the lower half from the front

Glenn

lower deck004.jpg

stu knowles16/06/2012 16:06:44
586 forum posts
44 photos

looking really good! I shall be very interested to follow this thread and see how you do it.

retracts & flaps??

cheers,

stu k

IanR16/06/2012 17:33:25
777 forum posts
4 photos

Glenn

Yes, indeed, very interesting. What are the power options you have in mind - electric or i.c.? If electric, what size-ish of motor are you considering? I love the idea of a 7ft + span Spitfire.

Ian

Cyclicscooby16/06/2012 21:31:15
874 forum posts
531 photos

Oh Glenn, you're a god with Depron... All hail Glenn...

I presume the depron is white, if so, why do you paint it all black..? Not moaning, quite the opposite, it looks ace.. Is it to look less transparent..??

AND... How ,and what do you use, to cut the holes in the rear so neatly.. ?

I don't even try to pretend that my depron models are anything but depron, but you take foam to a new level.. Keep the pics coming..

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Olly P16/06/2012 21:48:15
3215 forum posts
181 photos

Chrisie, looks like grey depron to me - same stuff different pigment!

Simon Chaddock17/06/2012 00:56:18
5580 forum posts
2941 photos

Glenn

Yes I only recently tried a tissue/PVA finish initially as local reinforcement for a damaged area. It certainly adds quite a bit of strength and when painted neatly covered the repair as well.

Glenn Moore17/06/2012 06:48:14
152 forum posts
127 photos

Hi guys,I will try to answer all your questions but if I miss anything please give me a kick. I dont mean to be ignorant but I do miss things.

Stu, as crazy as it may sound this is going to be a hand launched model so no flaps or retracts, I did consider the retracts but my flying field is rough grass and it would mean me taking off and landing from the lane at the side which would add more complcations.

Ian, power is to be a Emax 2826 running on a 4s 2200 battery.Should be good for a model up to 6 or 7lbs although my target weight is 5 1/2lbs

Chrisie, as Olly says it is indeed grey depron. I buy in box quantity to keep the cost down and grey is generally cheaper although the 2mm sheets I have are white as that was all I could find at the time.The lightening holes are cut with an assortment of copper tubes I scrounged from a local plumber.By sharpening the inside face they cut through the depron very easily.

Simon, thanks for the info. I had been intending to do a trial with the tissue to see if it would work but you have confirmed to me that it will be fine.I also considered brown paper but that has an added weight penalty.

Thanks again for the encouragment, it really helps when you are under pressure to put the model aside and do other jobs. I relly want to see this through as quickly as possible now. more pics later

Glenn

bouncebounce crunch17/06/2012 07:23:22
1739 forum posts
212 photos

g'day Glenn, I must say you are setting the real theme of adventure and the true spirit of flight -eg experimentation (now that is true scale) I hope other balsa boys will have a look, and a second look, your models and building style are something kit manufacturers should look at and i will be waiting for the next serving for sure. cooool maaan.

Rex Keene17/06/2012 11:13:17
80 forum posts

I'd be interested in plans for this.

Glenn Moore17/06/2012 18:35:42
152 forum posts
127 photos

Hi guys. I worked on the tailplane today so I could try out the 2mm sheet on a smaller part of the plane. At 25" it is still big enough to give me a good idea of its strength. I forgot to take a picture of the built up structure but it is pretty conventional. I did take a picture holding it up to the light as the white 2mm is fairly transparent so you can see the light shining through. With the skins glued on it is remarkably stiff and I now have no doubt that it will be plenty strong enough for the wings and fus.

Rex the plans were a download from here **LINK** although it is meant as a 42" balsa model it was easy to convert for my purpose

more later Glenn

p6161070.jpg

p6161071.jpg

Rex Keene17/06/2012 21:34:14
80 forum posts

Interesting link, but I don't think I'm up to learning new software at the moment, I'm just getting my head around R/C in general and specifically new materials such as Depron and polystyrene.

id always considered these materials as the "toy" department, until I actually found out that they often fly better, are easier to work with and are much more robust.

Hence the interest in your work. I read the Vulcan thread with interest, but the Spitfire is amazing, and I want one

Simon Chaddock18/06/2012 14:02:47
5580 forum posts
2941 photos

Glenn

Snap! I did a similar thing with my Depron Bachem Natter.

Natter skeleton!

But in this case there was very little internal structure to show through!

Erfolg18/06/2012 18:29:08
11565 forum posts
1274 photos

I am not trying to tell any one what to do, although i will suggest it is possible to cover Depron with Glass Cloth and WBV (water based varnish). This improves strength and dent restitence dramatically.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Sussex Model Centre
CADMA
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us