By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Galaxy Domino Bipe build

Build log of the Galaxy models Domino Biplane!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Galaxy kits to remain in production

Galaxy kits to remain in production

new UK source announced - 9/8/12

Concorde Speedbird26/06/2012 20:25:32
2735 forum posts
650 photos

For my 100th post, I thought I'd start my first build log. This is not my first build, you've probably seen my Lotus green and yellow Funfly which was my first. If you haven't, here she is.

Different angle

But anyway, Dad bought me the Domino because of my bad luck with 4 eye operations very recently (3 retinal detachments), an eye infection after the 2nd operation, and an eye injection to cure that (horrible!). So my ever brilliant Father took me to Galaxy models, and he bought me this (Thanks Dad!). The specs are 44 inch wing span, suitable for 40-60 two or four strokes. We've got a Saito FA62A four stroke from Ebay (never been flown- only bench run) which is just right being light weight and quite compact. And it sounds brilliant!

I'll try and get some pics of the kit soon, and I will start building as soon as possible.

I'll also compare this to a rival product- this being the Chris Foss Wots Wot. I have not owned or flown one of these, but I will use other people's reviews to compare. I love the look of the Wots Wot, but can the Domino, a lot cheaper, match up?

Any questions, feel free to ask!

CS

Edited By ConcordeSpeedbird on 26/06/2012 20:26:46

Concorde Speedbird26/06/2012 20:45:54
2735 forum posts
650 photos

Thanks Stevesmiley

CS

Former Member26/06/2012 20:58:10
3577 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Eck26/06/2012 21:00:28
660 forum posts
124 photos
Watching with interest, CSB!
Concorde Speedbird26/06/2012 21:01:04
2735 forum posts
650 photos

I know it has been around for a fair number of years. Galaxy also did the smaller, 38 inch span Jester bipe (still avaliable from Pegasus models) and the Domino is essentially an enlarged Jester with some minor differences.

It has been running for a very long time!

CS

Edit: Thanks Eck!

Edited By ConcordeSpeedbird on 26/06/2012 21:04:13

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator26/06/2012 21:05:42
6765 forum posts
197 photos
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 26/06/2012 20:58:10:

Wasn't there a Domino Biplane, I'm sure I had one about 30 years ago.

There was Tom.....this is it.......wink 2 ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page....keep up at the back there......teeth 2 ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page.

This is starting to look like one of Danny Fentons Build Blogs.......7 posts & still no sign of any balsa.....sad ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page.

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 26/06/2012 21:07:56

Concorde Speedbird26/06/2012 21:53:46
2735 forum posts
650 photos

This is starting to look like one of Danny Fentons Build Blogs.......7 posts & still no sign of any balsa.....sad ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page.

Don't worry Steve, tomorrow I will try and get some pics of the kit and talk through some modifications I am doing. I will try to start the build as soon as possible, but we have limited time at the moment with Dad moving workshop, Mum getting a new kitchen in and a Sebino Extra taking up the workbench. The Extra is nearing completion so I will try and start as soon as possible.

The balsa's coming, don't worry!wink 2

CS

Tony H26/06/2012 23:06:08
872 forum posts
242 photos

This will be useful for me I have the Pegasus Jester Bipe, as you know but I won't start building mine until later this year. I have the Galaxy Magician to build first also in Lotus Colours!!! (with decals) - Great minds think alike and all that!

Let's see some piccies CS

Concorde Speedbird27/06/2012 17:21:15
2735 forum posts
650 photos

Here's the kit! (Click for zoomed in image)

The kit

We have foam wings which are very good quality, the firewall on the wings and some plywood parts in the sprue (all very good quality), just above those is a little veneered foam piece wich sits in between the cabanes, the wood on the floor (just south east of the wings) are the ailerons, leading/trailing edges and all the stock balsa. The curved pieces just below are for the built up tail surfaces, which are also sheeted in Balsa (strong!). In the box itself we have the fuselage sides (upside down) and all the sheet balsa. In the plastic bag just below is various pieces of wood. All the wood is very good quality.

The instructions are not so great, but the plan is good (a proper full size one). The hardware consists of a good engine mount, a four stroke one perfect for my FA62A, a good fuel tank (although I may get a bigger one), pre-bent single wire undercarriage, the pushrods used for single servo ailerons (only on bottom wing), wing joining GRP, good control horns, lots of screws and wing bolts (although the wings can be banded or bolted depending on how you want it- I'm having bolts).

But...

Plastic!!!

Here are the plastic cowling halves, plastic wing tips, clear plastic canopy and plastic rear top decking. Now I am definately not using the plastic rear top decking, I'm going for some half-formers on top and stringers (like a Bi-fly) or some planking, depending on how the build goes. Those wingtips are never going on a plane of mine, I'll build wooden ones the same shape. The cowling I might use, it is good thick plastic but I may build a balsa cowl, see how things go. The canopy looks exactly like a Mustang canopy, which is funny considering that Galaxy do a Mustang kit... I might go for open cockpit, so I can put the switch in there, so it is not on the exterior of the plane. The plastic is all good quality, but I prefer wooden structure- easier to repair.

Build it by the instructions and plan and the plane has ailerons on the bottom wing only with a single servo in the centre, like the Jester. But I'm going to put 2 servos in the wing, and have ailerons on the top wing as well (attached to the bottom ones with push rods) for better aerobatic performance. This will be easy, since the top wing trailing edges are made of perfect aileron material, although there is no mention of this modification in the instructions.

Overall, I'm thrilled with it. The fuselage has a lot of wood in it, so it will be strong. The centre cabanes are built into the fuselage, like the Jester. It is a very nice size at 44inch span so it should fit in the car one piece (although I enjoy taking my Funfly apart and vice versa- is that weird?). The single wire undercarriage is not going on, I'll make my own double wire one that just bolts on underneath, a lot more sturdy. The kit did not come with wheels, but I like that, since I can get a size I like for it.

I can't wait to start this build, I'll do it as soon as I can.

Any questions, please ask.

CS

Edited By ConcordeSpeedbird on 27/06/2012 17:23:38

Concorde Speedbird27/06/2012 17:42:19
2735 forum posts
650 photos
Posted by Tony H on 26/06/2012 23:06:08:

This will be useful for me I have the Pegasus Jester Bipe, as you know but I won't start building mine until later this year. I have the Galaxy Magician to build first also in Lotus Colours!!! (with decals) - Great minds think alike and all that!

Let's see some piccies CS

I would really like to see a build log of the Magician (and the Jester when you do it!). Lotus colours all the way!

CS

Concorde Speedbird27/06/2012 19:55:13
2735 forum posts
650 photos

Anyone there?

CS

Tony H27/06/2012 20:24:29
872 forum posts
242 photos

I'll do a build blog on the Magician, in the next few week's, they can also be useful for future reference. I'm not building the Magician as standard I am taking a leaf out of Colin Chapmans book and building it light. I am likely to drill out holes in the wood and foam to lighten the airframe.

Good luck with the Domino.

Concorde Speedbird27/06/2012 20:29:18
2735 forum posts
650 photos

The lighter it is, the better it should fly, so that is quite a good idea. My Dad has the larger Mystic, flies beautifully.

CS

Lee Smalley28/06/2012 11:26:21
2125 forum posts
68 photos
2 articles

the single wire undercart is plenty strong enough and takes lots of abuse, dont worry about fitting it if you wish it will not let you down, and the abs tips are a nightmare go with soft balsa blocks and carve them

Tony H28/06/2012 11:33:05
872 forum posts
242 photos

Hi Lee,

Any tips on making the Magician lighter? i'm thinking of cutting 1"-1.5" holes out down the fuselarge and tail.

Lee Smalley28/06/2012 12:26:56
2125 forum posts
68 photos
2 articles

with the tail being sheet you might save a bit but to be honest i would look at the wing as the best bet for weight saving if that is what you want to do!!

Tony H28/06/2012 12:35:05
872 forum posts
242 photos

Is it possible to cut holes in the (smallish holes) in the wing without sacrificing too much strength?

Edited By Tony H on 28/06/2012 12:39:36

Concorde Speedbird28/06/2012 16:44:10
2735 forum posts
650 photos

Hi Lee

The single wire undercarriage is probably fine, but I am fitting my own double wire one simply because I would like to make my own and I just prefer it. The undercarriage on my Funfly is practically the same as the Domino one and that is great, I just prefer the undercarriage on all our other planes.

Galaxy models in administration... sadsadsad

CS

Concorde Speedbird28/06/2012 22:19:53
2735 forum posts
650 photos
Posted by Tony H on 28/06/2012 12:35:05:

Is it possible to cut holes in the (smallish holes) in the wing without sacrificing too much strength?

Hmmm, looking at reviews of the Magician I'm not sure it needs any lightening in the wings. I don't know, I've never owned one but I've heard it is a cracker, like all the Galaxy kits. You'll enjoy that plane, it may be one of the last Magicians sold by Galaxy if the worst happens sad Lee's built a Magician, so he's the man to ask. If you are a subscriber, check out his review as well.

Lee, I've just noticed you own/owned a Domino. If you have still got it, some pics of the whole airframe would be very helpful please.

Thanks for some discussion on the thread, I'll start as soon as possible. This may well be one of the last Dominos sold, hopefully not.

CS

PS Sorry for the rather downbeat tone, I've been going to Galaxy models for as long as I can remember, means a lot to me. Hope they can come through.

Martyn K01/07/2012 17:29:33
5088 forum posts
3681 photos

Just tried to order a Domino Bipe from Galaxy. They are out of stock and with a poignant sidenote that "they are unlikely to get any more".

Very sad on both counts. I'll enjoy this blog even more now.

Good luck

Martyn

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!