Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Macgregor Single Channel

Instructions/technical spec needed

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Garththefacebiter11/07/2012 18:43:05
27 forum posts

Today I have aquired another single channel museum piece.

A Macgregor single channel MR200/MR40 Tx/Rx combo with a Ripmax Minimite servo and most of the loom too.

TBH it doesn't look like it's ever been used in anger, although there are signs of it having been fitted to something at some point..

The servo has it's original instruction leaflet, but unfortunately there is no sign of the instructions for the Tx/Rx, and what I assume to be the Rx battery box is missing (loom terminates in a PP3 type battery connector)

If anyone could direct me to a site where I might find the missing instruction sheet, or any other technical data on this R/C relic I'd be most grateful.

I wouldn't mind taking the chance and flying with it, if only I could find somewhere far enough from civilisation for it to be interference free.

Daithi O Buitigh11/07/2012 19:03:30
1354 forum posts
49 photos

From this thread it looks as if the rx used a 9 volt supply while the servo used a split voltage (2 AA cells, centre tapped)

You could ask there and no doubt someone will fill in the missing info

Garththefacebiter11/07/2012 21:34:29
27 forum posts

Cheers.

I'll go through that thread in detail when I have time tomorrow (I'm going to work in a few minutes time), and then try a few enquiries.

The reciever mentioned is a MR60, whereas mine is a MR40, but a 9V PP3 battery would be compact and relatively light, so that would make sense for the Rx.

I do have the battery holder for the Minimite, it takes 4x "AA" size 1.5 volts with a centre tapping as described,

There's also an unused lead coming out of the minimite, (3 wires to a plug) which I'm assuming was for a motor control servo.

Martin Harris11/07/2012 23:36:37
8678 forum posts
214 photos

I've got a set of MacGregor Single Channel instructions which I can scan on Friday. There's no mention of receiver model numbers but it covers Minimac and Superhet receivers (relay and relayless) and seems pretty generic for early 70s MacGregor equipment.

I've also got the instruction sheet for the Codamac transmitter if anyone is interested

If anyone's interested PM me with your email address and I'll send you a copy of one or both.

Garththefacebiter12/07/2012 16:15:50
27 forum posts

Cheers Martin

I'll PM you this weekend with my email address.

Is a Macgregor Codamac the same thing as a Macgregor 1+1 ?

Martin Harris12/07/2012 22:36:36
8678 forum posts
214 photos

I suspect the 1 + 1 may refer to the quick blip throttle - if so, very probably! The instructions say that the Codamac is essentially the same as the earlier version.

The good news is that I've already put the instructions in the car so I shan't forget to take them with me for scanning tomorrow!

Garththefacebiter14/07/2012 14:21:29
27 forum posts

Cheers Martin

I've downloaded the Macgregor instructions - very useful thanks.

Now I realise that to get the receiver end working with my escapements, I'm going to need Macgregor compatible lead connectors.

Either that or cut up the Minimite servo loom, which I don't really want to do.

Do I have any chance of finding such connectors anymore ???

Chris Bott - Moderator14/07/2012 14:44:49
6642 forum posts
1374 photos
1 articles

I believe that the Codemac and 1+1 had a single stick for left and right, and a button gave the quick blip for throttle. The difference being that Codemac transmitter just did the press once for left twice for right for you, whereas the 1+1 transmitter pulsed rudder left and right quite quickly, biasing it more one way as you moved the stick giving a sort of proportional control.

Garththefacebiter14/07/2012 16:14:19
27 forum posts

So the 1 + 1 is a sort of analogue proportional system then?

No digits or integrated circuits lurking within the Tx/Rx ?

The photos I've seen of the 1 + 1 combos up for (online) auction show servos similar to a modern propo one, so I don't think it's a "galloping ghost" system.

If it's of any interest to anyone, I just found the user instructions/handbooks for Macgregors Digimacs on the Macgregor Industries site

Edited By Garththefacebiter on 14/07/2012 16:20:52

Martin Harris14/07/2012 20:45:52
8678 forum posts
214 photos

The Digimac 1 + 1 was a 2 channel digital proportional (on the rudder channel) set - looked very similar to the Codamac transmitter.

Re. the plug/socket - why not use modern parts and save the original bits - you can always solder them back on in the future...

I don't remember them being very good quality - if you're going to use it I'd think you would be better off with new ones anyway.

Edited By Martin Harris on 14/07/2012 20:46:33

Garththefacebiter15/07/2012 01:53:39
27 forum posts

I just got outbid on a 1 + 1 about 2 hours ago ( Actually I used a sneaky auction sniper while I was down the pub)

Maybe someone on this forum has got it for the princely sum of £26.66!

As for the Macgregor connectors, they seem to be of a reasonable quality, it's the little black heat shrink insulators on the wires which are rubbish (all loose)

Maybe heat shrink tubing was in it's infancy when this kit was built, or maybe just bad quality stuff was specified (unlikely with macgregor I would have thought)

I'm thinking if I can make a suitable tool to relase the metal blades I could replace all the heat shrink with new, tight stuff.

Otherwise it looks like Futaba spec connectors all round.

Efficient, but not really a mod I want to do on a 40 year old museum piece

Martin Harris15/07/2012 02:03:28
8678 forum posts
214 photos

I've dug out my old receivers and one of them has a plug and socket fitted but it's a 7 pin double row connector with flat blades. I really can't say whether it's original - I suspect I might have fitted it when I bought the gear second hand around 37 years ago (how scary is that!)

Garththefacebiter15/07/2012 17:26:15
27 forum posts

Got the thing up and running today.

Well, almost.

The radio gear is working fine, I've picked up the Tx tone output on my little SW radio set no problem.

The Rx didn't seem to respond at first, but then coiling the receiver ariel around the transmitter ariel got the relay clicking away nicely, so maybe the relay armature was stuck after lying dormant for years.

Looking at the Rx ariel, it's seen better days (the final 3" are bare wire strands), it needs renewing.

As for the Minilite servo, this is 100% dead so far.

Either bad/broken wiring, bad relay contacts in the Rx, or bad contacts in the servos internal switching gear.

My money is on the latter, and as it has it's' own power pack (4x "AA" centre tapped) I'm going to divorce it from the Rx and overide the relay function with a jump wire next.

Martin Harris24/07/2012 10:41:56
8678 forum posts
214 photos

John Dirke - PM sent a few days ago - no reply seen yet....

Edited By Martin Harris on 24/07/2012 10:42:08

Tony Parkinson 108/09/2013 19:31:13
1 forum posts
3 photos

img_1419.jpghi just bought a RC baot (sorry not a plane) with a minimac RC 40 per attached. Does anybody have any instrrunation manuals for these - would like to try and get it working.

img_1436.jpg

Colin Bernard08/09/2013 22:08:07
478 forum posts
81 photos

Just for info I used a similar setup back in my S/C days. The wires from the Minimite were indeed for a motor control servo which if I remember correctly was called the 'Minimo'.

The servo was fairly simple in that there was simply a set of wipers on one of the gear shafts running over a PC board providing the press/press-press/quick blip decoding, so some contact cleaner should sort out any problems there.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Addlestone Models
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us