Forum sponsored by CML

Bomber Boys - Fighting Back 1939 - 45

By Patrick Bishop

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steve Hargreaves - Moderator19/07/2012 12:33:59
6727 forum posts
191 photos

A good book but a little bit long winded.....could have covered the subject a bit quicker.....covers the full 1939 - 45 war with anecdotes from many who served. Also talks about the origins of the Aera Bombing campaign & the disgraceful treatment of the men who served by the polititians after the war had ended.

I particularly liked the last few words, taken from a Monument at a disused Bomber base......a fitting epitaph for all who served

Went the day well…?

We died & never knew....

But well or ill,

Freedom; we died for you

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator19/07/2012 12:39:37
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Its a disgrace in my opinion that its taken 65 years to erect a memorial to the 55,000 who died in bomber command. Whatever the rights and wrongs of the bombing campaign the brave guys who served and died were carrying out their nation's wishes and deserved better from that nation in both thanks and recognition.

BEB

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator19/07/2012 12:47:58
6727 forum posts
191 photos

My feelings exactly BEB......the guys who flew in the planes were volunteers & did the job they were asked to do......& were then abandoned by the polititians & to a certain extent by the people in whose name they had done it......

Interestingly the campaign killed around 600,000 German civillians which is obviously a pretty apalling statistic but apparently the naval blockadeof Germany in the 14 - 18 war killed over 800,000 through starvation......food for thought maybe...

Oldbaldfella19/07/2012 14:06:03
198 forum posts
56 photos

I often wonder what all the lads who died in the 2 world wars would think of this country now.............

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us