Forum sponsored by CML

Building with Depron

A few things I've learned.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Shane Sunday27/07/2012 12:24:42
342 forum posts
160 photos

I just had a thought about the models I've built with depron. There are quite a few of them now. My thoughts are on strengthening. I build an awful lot of park jets. They fit the bill for where I live and are ussualy quick to build. The area that gets damaged the most is the nose and forward fuse. They tend to tear off real easy like. the answer to this is to infuse carbon rod into the depron. Just the sides and the bottom will do, extending roughly 10 inches or so. I did this to a resent model and it stands up to the nose crash test from about 2 meters. Not indestrctable but more durable for sure.

The next is built up models from plans. it's basicaly the same thing as above. You see I love depron for how light it is but something has to give and even a simple hard landing can manage to bend a rather weighty nose and therefore weaken the airframe. But you can build a Brian Taylor mustang, a Jitterbug by Allex Whitaker and soon an FW190 by Tony Nijhuis out of depron. The answer is to run 6mm of either spruce or carbon fiber from the fire wall down the box of the fuse to roughly half way of the wing on all four corners. My BT mustang flies beautifuly, just has a real groove to it but that depron has proven to be weak up front where the weight is. With the above changes she is back in the air and I can relax when landing her. The wieght gain is marginal the added strength is astronomical.

Hope this helps.

Nev03/10/2012 17:06:21
592 forum posts
221 photos

Shane. Thanks for that.

I’ve seen your Jitterbug build and Glenn’s Spitfire and am keen to have a go myself. I’m thinking of the smaller of the TN spitfires, (obviously) but may start on something simpler. Trying to fathom how I could stick a heave motor and battery right up front and not just have it tear out of the foam has stopped me getting started ( I like to work out the details first ). That and joining the wings together but the jitterbug build sorted that one.

I am much happier with a prudent mix of depron and spruce as you suggest. I will give it some more thinking time and have a go, thanks.

gliggsy03/10/2012 20:03:09
96 forum posts
4 photos

Hi fellas, have just completed a self-design thingymajobby in Depron with a 38" wingspan, would post a pic but unfortunately am working away ATM, in theShetlands Brrrrrrrrr ! What I tend to do is build full fuze with depron but start with a basic sub-structure of the wall insulation foam that's 50mm thick. I stick a firewall/motormount ply sqare to the front of the builders foam and with clever planning mount the u/c in there as well then cover with Depron to the desired shape, basically the first 2/3 of the fuze is Kingspan with all the hardware mounted but the wings and tail-plane are all Depron......G

gliggsy03/10/2012 20:03:10
96 forum posts
4 photos

Hi fellas, have just completed a self-design thingymajobby in Depron with a 38" wingspan, would post a pic but unfortunately am working away ATM, in theShetlands Brrrrrrrrr ! What I tend to do is build full fuze with depron but start with a basic sub-structure of the wall insulation foam that's 50mm thick. I stick a firewall/motormount ply sqare to the front of the builders foam and with clever planning mount the u/c in there as well then cover with Depron to the desired shape, basically the first 2/3 of the fuze is Kingspan with all the hardware mounted but the wings and tail-plane are all Depron......G

fly boy303/10/2012 20:15:52
3529 forum posts
18 photos

Hi Shane, would this 6mm spruce you speak of, for fuz. corners be 6mmx6mm ? cheers.ps I think you could build and equip a foam model cheaper than the price of covering material (Profilm) for a 40 size model these days. Cheers

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us