Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Table Top Circular Saw

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Vic805/08/2012 14:32:48
37 forum posts
3 photos

I am working my way through a repair that entails cutting out from 2mm ply, sections of fuselage formers. In addition, I will be starting on scratch build from a plan with 9 fuselage formers cut from 5mm ply. Initially I used a sawn to make the cuts and then in order to speed work up I used a small bandsaw. However I have recently found out that a small powered circular saw is more suitable than a bandsaw for producing straight cuts. I am in for the long haul on model building and considering buying a small circular saw that can be placed on the workbench in my hobbies room when needed. The circular saw will only be used for my model building and have looked at the Proxxon range of Table Saws, all appear suitable however the prices ranging from £110 to £385. Has anyone any views or suggestions.
Thanks.

Ernie05/08/2012 15:57:08
2528 forum posts
21 photos

Hi Vic8, Proxon tools are expensive, but very good. I've got the KS 230 circular saw, It retails in france from a company called Weymuller for just over €100. Dont know what the exchange rate is, but it's good for you right now.....I would always buy the very best tools I can afford

ernie

Andrew76705/08/2012 16:09:23
809 forum posts
4 photos

Hi Vic8.....I'll second Ernie. I have the same and it is very good....Downsides??....Blade to fence cuts are limited to 60mm or so and you can't angle the blade. Mind you as a modeller you'll soon overcome those shortcomings and it's superb for stripping balsa. If you watch for deals, it's often possible to buy the KS230 for under £90 plus p&p.

Andrew

PatMc05/08/2012 16:22:06
4385 forum posts
524 photos

Vic, I have the Proxxon KS230, as said excellent quality with the limitations Andrew mentions.

I think this one includes postage all in at £82 LINK

Tim Reeves05/08/2012 18:24:08
73 forum posts
15 photos

Vic, I have both of these saw's, the KS230 and the FKS/E. I brought the KS first thinking this would suit my needs, but soon found that it was very limiting, even though it is good for stripping down balsa, as mentioned previously. The FKS/E has a wider bench, adjustable saw blade height, ideal for cutting groves etc and you can also angle of the saw blade. It will also take the finer blade from the KS. The only disavantage the FKS has, is the cost and that it takes up a bit more space, plus I did'nt like the plug so I replaced it.

Tony K07/08/2012 12:28:08
228 forum posts
66 photos

I bought the KS230 when the local DIY shop was offering 15% discount and I am very pleased with it. I have cut 6mm ply without a problem and with nice square edges. The only annoying thing is that with the guard in place I can only cut 11mm thick material.

kc07/08/2012 15:16:20
6423 forum posts
173 photos

Before you spend lots of money on a circular saw, have you tried a Japanese type pull saw ( hand tool of course ) ? The very fine bladed ones cut very cleanly and its easy to cut a straight line. Even B& Q sell these nowadays. Just the job for thin ply.

For birch ply up to 1/16th or even more in lite ply use a Stanley knife and rule for straight cuts. Use a brand new blade and several passes to make the cut.

Use a Permagrit sander ( just one is needed the wedge shaped double sided type ) to sand to exact size if needed.

All this is easier, cheaper, quieter and above all safer than any circular saw.

Vecchio Austriaco07/08/2012 15:38:12
1498 forum posts
707 photos

Vic, if you are interested, I have a used KS 230, it is in good condition but has one small damage on the outer casing (the soldering iron slipped....) I think about 50£. If this is interesting send me a PM. In any case you would need to wait a bit as I am on holiday. I am back in the UK on the 15th of August.

Why I am selling it? Well I invested into her bigger sister FKS-E some years ago - and I am very happy with this bigger and more powerfull model which has also the possibility to tilt the blade 45 deg and has saw depth regulation.

Regards

VA

Dai Fledermaus08/08/2012 10:53:59
1057 forum posts
52 photos

Vic, if you’re in it for the long haul, a band saw is a much more versatile and user friendly machine than a small table saw. I have an Axminster 350 band saw left over from my cabinet making days, it has a 96” long blade and would normally be considerer much too large for model making but with a 14tpi blade it cuts plywood, e.g. 1/8” a treat, with little break out. The edges need dressing with a block plane or a sheet of sand paper laid flat on the bench and they are perfectly straight.

Small bench saws have brush motors and tend to be very noisy, and you can’t cut curved sections with them and you still have the problem of break out unless you are cutting with the grain of the ply.

If a band saw isn't cutting in a straight line and you are using a fence, then the blade is shot .

Regards,

Colin

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator08/08/2012 11:07:02
6756 forum posts
197 photos

A scroll saw is very useful too......not very good at straight lines however......often available on ebay as s/h bargains!!!

Vic824/08/2012 11:22:38
37 forum posts
3 photos
Posted by Vic8 on 05/08/2012 14:32:48:

I am working my way through a repair that entails cutting out from 2mm ply, sections of fuselage formers. In addition, I will be starting on scratch build from a plan with 9 fuselage formers cut from 5mm ply. Initially I used a sawn to make the cuts and then in order to speed work up I used a small bandsaw. However I have recently found out that a small powered circular saw is more suitable than a bandsaw for producing straight cuts. I am in for the long haul on model building and considering buying a small circular saw that can be placed on the workbench in my hobbies room when needed. The circular saw will only be used for my model building and have looked at the Proxxon range of Table Saws, all appear suitable however the prices ranging from £110 to £385. Has anyone any views or suggestions.
Thanks.

...........................................................................................................

Thankyou all. I have been out of commission for some time and now back to catch up.
Whatever I buy to cut the wood has to be easily moved onto a bench and when finished with, removed and put aside. I am fortunate in having a shed in the backyard with a medium size bandsaw which is used to cut curvy bits. Due to my experience/ lack of experience I have found that a bandsaw blade that is used to produce curves will not readily cut along a straight line and the only cure is to change the blade, changing blades is tiresome if nothing else. I therefore thought that a circular saw dedicated for modelling use would be more appropriate in obtaining straight cuts. I have yet to make up my mind however if it is to be a circular saw I have short listed the Proxxon FET and FKS/E rather than the KS230 with its smaller table. This is based on the comments in reply to my request for advice.

bouncebounce crunch24/08/2012 11:31:35
1739 forum posts
212 photos

scroll saw cut close to outline and sand.

Jon Laughton24/08/2012 11:38:57
1209 forum posts
72 photos

Alex Whittaker reviewed one of the Proxxon table saws in a back issue of RCME - might be worth looking through the digital archive to find it?

Jon

Vic825/08/2012 10:48:29
37 forum posts
3 photos
Posted by Jon Laughton on 24/08/2012 11:38:57:

Alex Whittaker reviewed one of the Proxxon table saws in a back issue of RCME - might be worth looking through the digital archive to find it?

Jon

Thanks. I have tried to find the article by submitting a search worded in various ways but not come up with anything. The nearest I got was a list of RCM@E backnumbers but no index and the write up for lathes. I will be grateful if you could point me in the right direction for me to continue the search. Regards

Jon Laughton25/08/2012 10:51:16
1209 forum posts
72 photos

Ok will do what I can in the digital archive of back issues - you can only access these if you are a subscriber to RCME though...

IanN25/08/2012 12:23:11
1675 forum posts
119 photos

The RCM&E downloadable index

**LINK**

is your friend. May 2011, P92 is the article you are after thumbs up

Jon Laughton25/08/2012 12:35:42
1209 forum posts
72 photos

Thanks!

Edited By Jon Laughton on 25/08/2012 12:36:00

IanN25/08/2012 12:45:56
1675 forum posts
119 photos

No problem smiley

I'm as guilty as the next man of spending hours either thumbing through mags, or clicking through the digital archive, to try and track down articles

The indexes - probably an underused resource - aren't perfect but having downloaded them my experience is that they find me what I want pretty quickly 8 times out of every 10

Vic825/08/2012 16:42:44
37 forum posts
3 photos
Posted by IanN on 25/08/2012 12:23:11:

The RCM&E downloadable index

**LINK**

is your friend. May 2011, P92 is the article you are after thumbs up

Thanks, found the article. I was hoping that the digital archive would have the write up rather than the reference where to find it, I now have to think long and hard when to throw out old issues of RCM&E. I am a fully paid up card holding subscriber.

Erfolg25/08/2012 18:09:55
11710 forum posts
1309 photos

I have followed this thread, with interest. I am some what surprised that safety has not been discussed or considered.

I have seen a bandsaw do terrible damage to an unfortunate operative. In our club we have a member who has lost part of a finger to a circular saw. In a hobby where some become apoplectic with respect theoretical hazards from models which might be realised. Not a hint of concern with respect to devices which do real damage each year.

The devices are undoubtedly useful and effective, goes without saying. Perhaps a scroll saw is more appropriate, unless the productivity of industrial type devices are wanted.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!