Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Model Finishing Question

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Marc Freullet01/09/2012 08:24:12
38 forum posts
7 photos

I have built a slope soarer to my own design I want to use what I have available in the in my DIY cupboard to finish the fuselarge for best results which is made from good old ply sides & balsa. I have some halfords car paint & primer & I have given the whole fuse 1 coat of sanding sealer (none left) I also have some clear varnish I thought I might give it a coat or 2 of varnish rubing down in between with wet & dry before painting would this work?/be a good idea or am I just over complicating things.

Alan Cantwell01/09/2012 08:32:09
3039 forum posts

ply sides? just varnish the fus, i did this on a phase 6, looked superb, then i just put a jazzy red cheat line down the side, and varished over this also, but you dont mention the wings?

Marc Freullet01/09/2012 08:40:04
38 forum posts
7 photos

Thanks The wings are my own cut foam veneer covered in Pearl purple Oracover I had going spare I agree varnish on its own would look good in certain situations but i dont think it would go with the wing covering Ill try & get some pics on here soon

Alan Cantwell01/09/2012 08:42:54
3039 forum posts

varnish some ply, buff it up, hold it against the wing, bet it will look superb,

Mark Powell 201/09/2012 09:03:13
430 forum posts

Care with car sprays over 'varnish'. the car spray can attack many varnishes, causing them to 'crackle' and/or lift.

You have used sanding sealer. That is fine, I would follow up with a couple of coats of clear dope, the non-shrinking variey if you can find it, but any clear dope will do. Gently rub down, DRY, not wet, and then the car spray.

Marc Freullet01/09/2012 20:14:29
38 forum posts
7 photos

Thanks for that Mark I was wondering about the crackle issue ill try a test piece first otherwise dope it is.

Cheers.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CADMA
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us