Corby Starlet project in Malta

RC2107 Corby Starlet Plan

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Edwin van der Maat14/09/2012 20:08:39
69 forum posts
188 photos

Goodevening,

it did not take long to make a decision about a new project, when I came across the article in RCME about the Corby Starlet. A very nice plan designed by Ton.

I mainly build scale models with four strokes or petrol engines, so a electric scale model is still a new area for me. Instead of cutting all the parts myself, I ordered a kit from RBC kits. I have been informed that the kit is posted.

So in mean time, I started to collect some equipment.

dscn8775.jpg

OBL36/11-40A outrunner (1180 RPM/V) for 12x6 prop

3S Lipo 3300 mAh

BLC-65 or 75 regulator (I have both, which to choose?)

dscn8778.jpg

A comparison of my scratchbuild 1:4 Fieseler F.1 with the 1:4.3 Corby plan. I took my (test)pilot out to see how it will look on the plan.

dscn8781.jpg

So part of the project will be to make a suitable pilot (most likely without complete legs).

dscn8786.jpg

So during the weekend (bad weather is forecasted here in Malta), I will start with the preparation of the instrument panel.

Best regards,

Edwin

Alan Cantwell14/09/2012 20:33:34
3039 forum posts

i have been to Malta twice, and visited the ta-quali club, there are a LOT of fine scale models you guys have, considering the size of the island, you have a very active club, the corby should make a fine addition, tell me, (not wanting to nick the thread) how do you get your model goods? the only shop i found had dusty shelves and was in sliema, mind, that was a few years ago now

Edwin van der Maat14/09/2012 21:03:06
69 forum posts
188 photos

Goodevening Alan,

there are a number of good shops on the island, where to buy model goods such as fuel, balsa wood, hardware, batteries, servos etc. More specialized goods for scale models etc, you have to order from abroad.

Yes, our club is still active and the weather is most of the year good (except this weekend) to fly.

Best regards,

Edwin

Ton van Munsteren15/09/2012 20:00:51
1277 forum posts
3301 photos

Edwin,

Have been looking for some data on the motor , prop and Lipo pack combination but could not find any RPM's and Amp's test data , but did see a video of the motor in a TT trainer .40 size with 3320 gram weight and that was flying just fine, so the setup will work just fine for the Corby.

Looking forward seeing the first build pickies.

Ton

Edwin van der Maat15/09/2012 21:14:36
69 forum posts
188 photos

Ton, thanks for the feedback. I bought this set up because it is locally available.

I will build the model as light as possible, but would like to add a scale cockpit as far as possible. The RBC parts have not arrived yet. I started today a bit on the instrument panel. I collected enough photo material of the original which I will model.

**LINK**

Edwin

Edwin van der Maat20/09/2012 17:28:43
69 forum posts
188 photos

party....the box has arrived.....

First dinner thinking, than action yes

Edwin

Ton van Munsteren20/09/2012 20:15:41
1277 forum posts
3301 photos

Edwin,

Thats good news looking forward seeing the first pickies.

Ton

Edwin van der Maat20/09/2012 21:33:36
69 forum posts
188 photos

Well, there we go.

The kit was very nicely packed in an extra carton box, and arrived without any shipping damage.

dscn8787.jpg

The contents of the kit looks very good. I was suprised to find a set of wheels and little hardware kit with hinges etc.

dscn8788.jpg

A CD with the building instructions is provided, so I set up the laptop in the garage, to follow the instructions.

dscn8789.jpg

Started with the fuselage (instruction set part 2 on the CD). The wood is of good quality.

dscn8791.jpg

Tomorrow is a public holiday, so I have some time available this weekend to do some building and flying. Time to stop for tonight.

Best regards,

Edwin

Danny Fenton20/09/2012 21:46:34
9065 forum posts
3928 photos

looks great Edwin, I am sure this will have the usual precision of Ton and Rob (RBC) and slot together perfectly.

cheers

Danny

Concorde Speedbird20/09/2012 22:15:48
2714 forum posts
628 photos

Yes, precise. Has a similar construction to my Funfly, with the tab and slots locking it all together. Very strong, and light as found in my Funfly but it does have to be precise. I personally prefer the more traditional design, but in the end of the day if it is strong and light, who cares?smiley

Lovely job Edwin, very nice plane Ton (although I do think it needs a 60 four stroke!)

CS

PS. Edwin, I LOVE your big Stearman! Beautiful plane, I've always been a sucker for the Stearman with it's supersonic propellor tips and beauty, and that model is FANTASTIC! yesyesyes

Ton van Munsteren21/09/2012 22:21:20
1277 forum posts
3301 photos

CS, a 60 will be to much a 48 to 50 will be more than enough, but just be honest who wants to have an piece of aluminium sticking out of such a lovely Corby nose.

Ton

Concorde Speedbird21/09/2012 22:52:08
2714 forum posts
628 photos

60 would be good for aerobatics and verticals...cheeky

With that big cowl a quick re-design to make it hollow and a Saito 45S or simlar and you won't see it at all really, and it would sound like a Corby!

It's a lovely design, and after reading about the Apache cad design (Danny Fenton's thread) I am massively impressed with your designing skills utilising CAD, something I have learnt a bit about in school but I was always rubbish at it. Keep the designs coming!

CS

Edwin van der Maat22/09/2012 10:15:25
69 forum posts
188 photos

Hi CS, thanks. The Stearman is a dream to fly. Related to the Starlet, please do not change my mind (I have still a new ASP 61FS smiley and a little used Saito 60 boxer cool), but the model is purely designed for electric. I am still new to fly electric, I think the Corby is a good 'step in' scale model, and it is time to expand the horizon.

Are you planning to build a Corby with a four stroke?

Best regards,

Edwin

Edwin van der Maat22/09/2012 10:27:00
69 forum posts
188 photos

Well, yesterday a long day of building (did not feel like to go flying, since I got going on the building).

The kit pats fit nicely together, only small areas needed some extra care. A pitty is that in the RBC kit the instrument former is 'missing' (it is replaced by a sloping former). Did not use that former, and cut a new one for the instrument panel. As well the wings are fully skinned by 1.5mm instead of the drawing with rib caps and 2mm. So I decided to use the 1.5mm of the kit and changed the the skinning as per the RCME drawing and Ton's photos.

Some pictures on the progress of the fuselage:

dscn8793.jpg

dscn8798.jpg

The drawn lines indicate the future cut-out for the cockpit:

dscn8823.jpg

The instrument panel former in place:

dscn8824.jpg

Best regards,

Edwin

Edwin van der Maat22/09/2012 10:35:54
69 forum posts
188 photos

The progress on the wing:

Since I did not use the kit option to fully skin the wing, I deviated a bit from the instructions. Doing so, much more care was required to make sure everything is aligned and straight.

dscn8800.jpg

Added the bottom skins.

dscn8803.jpg

dscn8804.jpg

dscn8807.jpg

Added the capstrips.

dscn8808.jpg

The sheeting at the tip

dscn8811.jpg

And cut back to meet the sloping rib.

dscn8813.jpg

Best regards,

Edwin

Edwin van der Maat22/09/2012 10:52:02
69 forum posts
188 photos

The next steps:

First to sand the tip rib flush.

dscn8814.jpg

Add the temporary 6x6 balsa under the trailing edge at the correct place for the wing wash-out. The wing is firmly pinned to the building board before sheeting the top of the wing.

dscn8816.jpg

Glued the front sheeting with wood glue.

dscn8818.jpg

The ailerons cut off the wing.

dscn8828.jpg

This morning glued the aileron leading edges.

dscn8829.jpg

Wing leadings edges and top and bottom of the wing sanded smooth. The wing strong and light.

dscn8832.jpg

dscn8833.jpg

The tip edges still needs to be rounded off a bit. As well I need to make the cut out for the balance horn.

dscn8837.jpg

dscn8838.jpg

dscn8839.jpg

dscn8841.jpg

Well, that is it for the moment. Now time to go out with the familysmiley. (Maybe tonight a bit of time to carry on work on the ailerons).

Best regards

Ton van Munsteren23/09/2012 10:28:08
1277 forum posts
3301 photos

Edwin,

That is a very quick build and great pics thanks for posting.

Ton

Edwin van der Maat24/09/2012 18:13:50
69 forum posts
188 photos

Hi Ton, you can only build fast when the design is well thought about and correctsmiley, so you done a very excellent job. On top of that RBC cnc parts fit correctly.

Good evening everybody,

Well in the meantime I tried to upload some pictures of the progress, but I did not manage...will try later again. Time to go back and do some building this evening.

Edwin

Edwin van der Maat24/09/2012 20:27:45
69 forum posts
188 photos

Goodevening,

the progress on the ailerons:

Ailerons cut from the wing and leading edges added.

dscn8844.jpg

Sanded level with the wing.

dscn8845.jpg

Then I marked the aileron hinge line.

dscn8847.jpg

Small reference mark to help plotting the hinge positions.

dscn8848.jpg

dscn8852.jpg

Hinges in places. They will be glued after finishing the covering / painting.

dscn8857.jpg

Added small light balsa blocks, because I found the trailing edge a bit thin to hold the hinge.

dscn8859.jpg

Leading edge sanded.

dscn8862.jpg

dscn8864.jpg

Happy with the gap.

dscn8866.jpg

Checked the aileron throw available.

dscn8867.jpg

Made some holders to secure the ailerons while working.

dscn8871.jpg

Best regards,

Edwin

Ton van Munsteren24/09/2012 20:52:12
1277 forum posts
3301 photos

Edwin,

Thats a handig tool the holder for the aileron , thanks for the tip think I will use that on some of my other models for transport.

With the Mini servo's in my Tailwind I did have some damage with transport in the servo gear this will be a great servo safer as well.

Ton

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Revoc
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Motion RC
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us