Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Hello from West Yorkshire

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Mackie25/09/2012 21:21:09
11 forum posts

Hi,

I have messed about with a cheap toy rc plane and i'm kinda hooked.....

I have my eye on one of these **LINK**

Has any one on here got one? Are they really hard to fly?

Yours Fraternally

Mackie

Chris Bott - Moderator25/09/2012 21:49:06
6724 forum posts
1392 photos
1 articles

Hi Michael and welcome to the forum.

Hopefully someone who has experience of that model will be able to help

Alan Cantwell25/09/2012 22:04:42
3039 forum posts

Welcome to the forum, i hope you learn from the knowlegable on here,  and i hope you take what we say with the knowledge we know what we are doingsmile

You cant fly, you need to learn, this jet, you DONT need, this is a serious hobby, go along to your local club, see what its all about, clubs carry sufficient insurance, and a lot have club trainers you can have a go on, there are also great computer model flying sims, that you can use a model transmitter on, and fly like you are at the flying field, your first toy plane gave you an idea what can be captured from model flying, dont waste money on something else that you will break----very quickly

Edited By Alan Cantwell on 25/09/2012 22:07:31

Codename-John25/09/2012 22:06:38
1087 forum posts
18 photos

I reckon the url In the link you put in your post say`s it all Michael, Its for experienced fliers, I dont want to dampen your enthusiasm but from your description of messing about with a cheap toy, an EDF jet is way out of your league for a while, they are fast, very responsive and only being made of lightweight foam a crash at speed is very ugly, and expensive

If you want to take your flying to the next level, your going to need a decent trainer aircraft to learn the ropes properly, a club membership and tuition is the easist and quickest route to success and more spectacular planes in the future, Even real RAF Tornado pilots learn to fly in a trainer first wink 2

kevin b25/09/2012 22:47:10
1776 forum posts
140 photos

Hi Michael.

Go onto the BMFA website and under "Other services" click on search for a club in your area. Then follow the instructions. There are quite a few good clubs in our area and probably one nearer than you think. I was one of the very early members of the MADMACs, but it was a long while ago and they have probably sobered up by now ! I have now moved further "up the dale".

If you've got the bug it will stay with you for a long while, so you may as well get off to a good start. As the others have said, the "toy planes" are fun, but learning to fly something bigger / faster is lots more fun. With help and encouragement from others in a club environment you will learn quicker (and a lot cheaper) how to control something which behaves more like the real thing.

The buzz you get from a good flight is even better when you turn round to the others and they say it was a good flight as well.

Kevin.

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator26/09/2012 00:10:05
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Hi Michael,

some good advice here mate. Believe me your first flight with that will be very exciting - and last about 5 secs I would suggest. If your lucky you'll just break the model and lose your money. If your unlucky it will do some damage to property (or even worse - somebody) on its way to its demise wink 2

Learning to fly R/C planes is great - but for sucess you're better off being taught and then you can enjoy growing into the models you want to fly ultimately. Until then as the guys say get yourself to your local club and take some advice from them on the best trainer to buy. Believe me you'll be glad to did.

BEB

PS Just in case you think your alone - your not....smile

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 26/09/2012 00:10:51

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 26/09/2012 00:15:13

Josip Vrandecic -Mes26/09/2012 09:34:58
2993 forum posts
260 photos

Hello Michael,Welcome on the right place,...please ,accept the advise of these experts,they know the best....every beginning is difficult...boring but true....face 1

Joe

Michael Mackie27/09/2012 14:33:09
11 forum posts

Hey, Thanks for all your advice!

I looked on the BMFA website and there is only a heli club in Stainforth!

Does any one know of any plane clubs in West Yorkshire? It sound geeky but i am even hooked on the android phone app!!!

BEB, loved your video!

Any advice on a good trainer?

Jon Laughton27/09/2012 14:44:14
1191 forum posts
72 photos

Michael

I know you may not want to come over to the old enemy but as you are in West Yorks you could come over to our club in Oldham.

Aternatively there are loads of good clubs that are listed on the BMFA site under West Yorkshire not just Yorkshire. I was a member at Calderdale for a while and they are a really nice set of lads there who could help you but take your pick!

As stated above: go to a club to learn or if you are flush with cash get yourself to one of the few professionals that teach - Colin Chapman in Northants is the man I would recommend but it is costly!

Good luck and don't buy that Tornado just yet!

Jon

Andy Symons27/09/2012 15:17:32
222 forum posts
Posted by Michael Mackie on 27/09/2012 14:33:09:

Hey, Thanks for all your advice!

I looked on the BMFA website and there is only a heli club in Stainforth!

Does any one know of any plane clubs in West Yorkshire? It sound geeky but i am even hooked on the android phone app!!!

BEB, loved your video!

Any advice on a good trainer?

There are 16 clubs listed on the BMFA website in West Yorkshire, select "West Yorkshire" from the drop down and not "Yorkshire". Alternatively PM me your postcode and I have a way of finding your nearest clubs.

I would suggest finding a club before buying anything too. Personally I would always recommend a standard "40" sized IC engined trainer, with a 46 engine. In my experience over quite a few years instructing beginners those with a standard IC trainer always seem to get more flying in and learn quicker. But find a club first before spending any money!!

Oldbaldfella27/09/2012 15:40:53
198 forum posts
56 photos

Sherburn in Elmet may not be too far away.

Jon Laughton27/09/2012 15:42:58
1191 forum posts
72 photos

Michael look at

http://www.wymfc.org.uk/Index.html

Seems to be what you need?

ken anderson.27/09/2012 16:17:50
8554 forum posts
776 photos

wellcome from me michael.....

ken anderson ne..1... wellcome dept

Andy Symons27/09/2012 16:33:07
222 forum posts

You can also look on the Northern Area website.

**LINK**

CARPERFECT27/09/2012 17:47:16
504 forum posts
9 photos

Where in West Yorkshire are you. ?

Michael Mackie27/09/2012 19:44:01
11 forum posts

BD18 1HF (shipley) or LS19 6NE (rawdon)

is any one a member of **LINK** ?

Michael Mackie27/09/2012 19:47:00
11 forum posts

or **LINK**

Michael Mackie27/09/2012 19:52:34
11 forum posts

or **LINK**

Malcolm Fisher27/09/2012 20:08:53
630 forum posts
7 photos

Michael,

If you are in Shipley, you are not far from Baildon Moor where I and others fly slope soarers. This can be a good way to start flying and gliders don't have the extra complication of engines and the fuel, gravity, is free.

I would be happy to let you have stir of the sticks with one of my models if we can arrange to be there together. Send me a PM if you would like to try this route.

Malcolm

Olly P28/09/2012 10:07:48
3215 forum posts
181 photos

Hi Michael and welcome.

Malcolm - I might just see about flying with you on one of my many trans-pennine expeditions!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CADMA
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us