Forum sponsored by CML

Best way to stay focused

Just incase there is a break in the weather

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dylan Reynolds LaserCraft Services06/10/2012 17:39:16
1704 forum posts
661 photos

I am on the verge of taking my A, been told i'm ready for it, landings, take-offs, dead sticks etc etc, I know the BMFA book better than the BMFA

But, its now been 3 weeks since I have managed to get in the air, with the bad weather, even today, weather was perfect but the field is so water logged you can't take off with anything less than monster truck wheels fixed, and landings, well even the best pilots at the club are struggling with touch down, sudden stop, nose over syndrom.

But how do I stay ready for my A without getting the air time in? Simulator I hear yopu all scream....but its not the same, I get very bored with it very quickly and start playing and lose focus, nothing beats real air time, but I can't get any in! and I can't see this weather improving untill the ground is frozen over, but I just got a funny feeling this winter is gonna get wetter

It's all very dis-heartening

Andy Gates06/10/2012 17:55:22
643 forum posts
20 photos

No sweat Dylan, make some skis for your machine to replace the wheels and the ground conditions will be irrelevant.

Then the only fight you will have is the wind and rain.

Dealing with the wind comes with experience, so even if you can't fly your own machine, still go to the field when the experience guys go there and learn how they handle the wind. They may make adjustments to adapt the model to deal with the conditions which may help your machine.

You could even ask them to buddy you in the greater wind conditions with your model so you can get used to the way your machine handles.

Dylan Reynolds LaserCraft Services06/10/2012 18:00:34
1704 forum posts
661 photos

Cheers Andy, wind is no problem, we get a lot of it here in the Lythe Valley, you have to get used to it, its the terrential rain, and stormy winds and water that will not soak away even after a week, but thats not helpde by even more rain. The pitts today were just a mud bath, the strip a lake and the taxi way a river sad

Chris Jones 706/10/2012 18:45:04
282 forum posts

By a float plane?

Dylan Reynolds LaserCraft Services06/10/2012 18:56:01
1704 forum posts
661 photos

lol dont you start! we already have a member from Windermere float club telling us to stick floats on everything wink

ken anderson.06/10/2012 19:05:42
8683 forum posts
808 photos

hello dylan...what about a glider...nowt special.....a foamy...you are surrounded by hills over where you are......

ken anderson....ne...1....... gliders dept....

Dylan Reynolds LaserCraft Services06/10/2012 19:13:14
1704 forum posts
661 photos

Yeah I am thinking about that one Ken, nice idea

Bob Cotsford07/10/2012 10:25:55
8581 forum posts
477 photos

Flight sim? I have to admit I find them like all computer games, they don't hold my attention in the same way that the real thing does, and I find it a bit of a grind using the sim to practise.

MikeS07/10/2012 10:36:16
818 forum posts
240 photos

Pretty much the same at my club. With all the rain I am waiting for the cold calm days to come. I find even after a few weeks of none flying as soon as I am back in the air it's all fine.

I would agree with Ken on buying a small faomie to fly thats easy to hand launch to keep the stick time up.

As good as sims are even I find I go in to practice a new move and then get bored.

Hay why not build a flying boat with retracts best of both worlds.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!