DB Sport and Scale Corben Baby Ace build

My first ever CNC kit

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Major09/10/2012 19:45:35
610 forum posts
213 photos

Hi everybody.

As promissed, I'm starting build blog of my new kit.

Just a slight correction - I know, that "my lady ordered as birthday gift" and "I ordered" does not sound the same, so to explain my language mistake - "my lady ordered me to order kit as my birthday giftcheeky ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page."

First impressions are very positive. Here is a few pics of box contents
img00104.jpg

img00106.jpg

img00108.jpg

img00109.jpg

Here is the "pocket version" of the plan

img00113.jpg

I already cut tail, cause simply do not have that big workbenchangry ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page..

After visual examination and lecture of instructions, I started to play with wood. It takes me long, first time I use aliphatic glue without any "help" (CA), so the horizontal stab has slowly appeared

img00103.jpg

All I can see now - it's gonna be long build, a bit challenging, but very enjoyable. Luckily my enthusiasm came back as this plane is not as ugly as I've seen on some photoscheeky ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page..

More to follow soon.

Cheers

Tom

Dale Gibson09/10/2012 20:25:28
123 forum posts
26 photos

Great to see you've made a start on the build Tom and please keep the pics coming. I shall be following this with much interest as I have been thinking seriously about ordering one. thumbs up

Dale.

Concorde Speedbird09/10/2012 20:32:48
2717 forum posts
631 photos

I'll follow this one, looks like an interesting build!

By the way, what's going up front to power her?

CS

Major09/10/2012 20:32:50
610 forum posts
213 photos

No problem at all Dale!

Tonight I want to make elevators and start to work on vertical stab and rudder, but we'll see yet how it goes.

If You want to know my opinion - order one. Plan, instructions, quality of wood and other materials supplied is very good.

Tom

Edit: two seconds faster CSBwink ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

As to the power - I don't know yet. I have an OS .25FP, which could be ok, but the fuel nipple is broken and I can not find repleacement. Other than that - OS .40FS or electric, but would prefer IC.  Will think about it seriously when my fus will not be banana-shaped cheeky ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

Edited By Major on 09/10/2012 20:36:45

Major10/10/2012 01:12:12
610 forum posts
213 photos

Kids are asleep, house manager too, so I could get a bit more done.

img00120.jpg

img00114.jpg

It's amazing how the time passes with this kit... I would say that for rudder and fin I needed about 5 minutes, in fact it took me about 45. Now, when the tail dries, I started to prepare parts for fuselage and already disassembled half of the dining table to make bigger workbenchcheeky ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page..

Greybeard10/10/2012 08:08:34
726 forum posts
6 photos

Looks like good progress from where I sit. surprise

Eck10/10/2012 09:43:05
660 forum posts
124 photos

Looking good, Tom!

Major10/10/2012 11:13:57
610 forum posts
213 photos

Thanks gentlemen.

I did some more last night. The fuselage frame (one side) is dry now, with some fresh spots of glue (just in casewink ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.). I'm gonna build other side on the first one (just have to remember the shrink wrap - I forgot on the plan once...)

So here it comes
img00125.jpg

Dale Gibson10/10/2012 18:32:41
123 forum posts
26 photos

Blimey, no stopping you now Tom, great start.

Dale.

Major10/10/2012 20:46:37
610 forum posts
213 photos

img00138.jpg

By now both sides of fuselage drying - I added internal doublers and nose formers, so I'm ready to add formers at last. I must admit, aliphatic glue is fantastic - much better to work with than CA.

Probably today (or very early tomorrow) fus will be built-up.

Noteworthy fact - I have found a few pieces that do not match to the plan - quite suprissing to me as I thought CNC kit will be perfect, BUT it's nothing bad at all - method "sand here, fill there" will sort it with no noticeable signs. So far - very good kit, a big pleasure to play with!

More to follow as soon as glue dries.

Tom

Concorde Speedbird10/10/2012 20:58:54
2717 forum posts
631 photos

Great job! Nice building there, keep it up!

Just seen your edit, a 40 four stroke would be perfect and it would sound great! But a 25 two stroke would fly it nicely as well. Up to you really.

CS

Major11/10/2012 13:41:04
610 forum posts
213 photos

Thanks CSB!

I am more and more likely to electrify her - for the price of the engine I can have full setup with lipo, also it won't be needed to fuel proof her. I Don't know yet.

Last night I had a bit confusion - about 2 hours I was sure that whole fus is built incorectly. Thanks god for side and plan view drawingsdevil ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page..

So the fuselage looks like this now

img00142.jpg

And the first "dry match" - couldn't prevent myself from doing thischeeky ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

First dry match

Getting back to work now... I might change few things, like use one one servo for each aileron and elastic snakes or some wire for tail controls instead of 1/4dowel.

Tom

Concorde Speedbird11/10/2012 17:49:39
2717 forum posts
631 photos

Looking lovely! Nice building there!

As for engine prices, take a look at these SC two strokes. A four stroke is more desirable and will cost more, but second hand could be the way as well. It will sound so much nicer with an engine flying around on low throttle!

CS

Major13/10/2012 16:39:19
610 forum posts
213 photos

Thanks CSB!

I still think about the power source and by now I just don't know frown ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.. Probably everything will come together just before covering.

I did a little more. By now fuselage needs just hatches, U/C, cockpit deck and cabane struts. And I have to admit, that to my blind eyes it looks quite straightcheeky ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.. I also started the wings, one is nearly complete, aileron is cut away, so not much left on this one.

The fuselage, just before I started the starboard wing
img00152.jpg

and all I did till now

img00160.jpg

I am sorry for poor quality of pics, but my camera is long gone and I use just the mobile phone.

Next noteworhty fact - there is some elements of the construction that I'd do in a bit different way - I mean ailerons. It would save some time, if ribs are cut to requied shapes. Now to make them, I had to build the wing panel, then cut away control surface and glue sub leading/trailing edges. Nothing hard to do, but care is requied. Once I used too much strenght and one aileron rib is broken, but again - nothing unrepairable.

After all kit comes together really nicely.

Next update soon.

Cheers

Tom

Edited By Major on 13/10/2012 16:43:41

Concorde Speedbird13/10/2012 17:30:28
2717 forum posts
631 photos

I do like all those stringers! Lovely, your building is very neat, well done! The picture quality is fine by the way!

CS

Eddie Stocker - Formerly, DB Sport and Scale15/10/2012 14:10:47
94 forum posts
1 photos

Neat building Tom,

The aileron looks short, or have you placed it there just for the photo?

Eddie

Major15/10/2012 16:12:25
610 forum posts
213 photos

Thank You Eddie!

Exactly as You say - just for photo the aileron was placed there. If You look closely, should be able to spot missing leading edge and one rib broken due to excessive force used to secure it wink ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page..

By now everything is nice and straight, rib is fixed etc. Slowly, but still forward I movelaugh ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page..

Cheers
Tom

FunnyFlyer15/10/2012 20:51:59
269 forum posts
11 photos

Tom - I don't know why, but I love your approach to modelling and always enjoy reading your posts.

Keep them coming!

Major15/10/2012 22:42:10
610 forum posts
213 photos

FunnyFlyer
I don't know why as well, but thank You anyway! wink ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

CSB
I tried to dry-match cockpit decking yesterday - thanks to those stringers Baby looks almost like warbird - of course without wings fittedcheeky ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page..

Today the port wing came to life.

img00165.jpg

Then I cut control surface

img00169.jpg

...and fixed trailing edge

img00170.jpg

... and just finished the aileron :D
img00175.jpg

Right control surface was used as a guide and for comparision.

So now the most important job - sanding and finishing. Of course will post any progress.

Regards

Tom

Major24/10/2012 13:01:40
610 forum posts
213 photos

Little update...

Wing's LE, ailerons, some fairings - all sanded It wasn't the best part of the build - thanks to my alergy. I imagine it looked totally stupid - man holding some wood in one hand, sanding block in other and crying like a babycheeky ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page....

Pushrods, cabane struts, U/C - mostly finished. I didn't take too many pics, but think this one shows very good where I am...

gcjtydity.jpg

Cheers

Tom

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us