DB Sport and Scale Corben Baby Ace build

My first ever CNC kit

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Major21/01/2013 17:07:45
610 forum posts
213 photos

Eddie

yes, it is my first serious build. Before this I built 2x Sharkface (both flying well), Scamp, Mini Tyro and some Guillow's kits. Baby Ace is huge compared to any of those, there was a lot of new things and techniques to use (like fairingswink, dowels as pushrods, metal struts glued by paper tape and aliphatic, using thread etc...). Overall effect is nice, I am happy with it anyway, but I see what could be done better, I learnt new things to incorporate in future builds. I'm not hard on myself, just try to do my best smiley.

Thanks for the advice on flying her. However I don't think I will maiden her myself, instead I think about going to the club. I did fly Spitfire from ParkZone, but never had a proper landing - just on the belly, and that of course had its price. Anyway - with this engine I wouldn't try to fly her in public park in city centre - don't even want to think what could happen if things go pear shaped.

Regards
Tom

PS I wish I could purchase form You CNC kit of Cessna 182, but have not seen any on Your website... Instead, I have an Auster in mind...

Eddie Stocker - Formerly, DB Sport and Scale21/01/2013 19:09:51
94 forum posts
1 photos

Nice one Tom,

About the flying, if you can already take off, do circuits and land, fly it yourself. The reason I say that is because we know of a few others that have entrusted their beloved new build to who they consider to be (an experienced pilot) only to end up with a pile of bits and a comment like "Ugh, the radio failed". That is not to say that there aren't good pilots out there who can and do maiden fly other peoples aircraft, and they are very good at it, but please do your homework on whoever it is first to be sure of a satisfactory outcome. Here is a section of the instructions for flying the Auster, you will see what we mean, the Baby Ace can be compared to it.

FLYING

Do wait for a calmish day for the test flights, and if you have only limited experience in flying R/C models, get a proficient modeller to carry out the test flights. There is no point in ruining many hours of work in a few minutes through being too shy or too proud to ask. That said, it is very IMPORTANT to try to avoid asking someone who regularly flies in prop hanging fashion, as this person may well have a tendency to do the same with your new model. While this person may well be a very accomplished flier, your aircraft will not fly this way, and attempts to do so will definitely result in disaster. Your aircraft needs to be flown in a normal fixed wing manner of long take off’s & landings.

If you have flown a high wing trainer model and you should have learned to fly R/C models before entering into ANY scale model, you will find the flying of the Auster to be absolutely straightforward. It is difficult to write very much about the flying characteristics of the Auster, it performs similarly to the original aircraft slow, leisurely and predictable. Slow fly-pasts, touch and go’s, three point landings are achievable and it is capable of performing all the maneuvers of the prototype i.e / loops and stall turns. It will do more exotic maneuvers but the Auster is not the type of aircraft that looks right cavorting around the sky. You will get ample satisfaction from flying slowly and accurately and giving yourself a chance to watch the model in flight.

Regarding a Cessna, it is something that we wouldn't undertake, we already have a very large range of aircraft, more than enough for just me & Jude to keep up with (sorry).

Eddie.

Edited By Eddie Stocker - DB Sport and Scale on 21/01/2013 19:13:33

Major21/01/2013 19:44:08
610 forum posts
213 photos

You have a good point here, Eddie. But this stick has two ends - I will not kich my butt if something goes wrong, and from other side - I may not perform as good as somebody more experienced. Hmm, we'll see yet, I got timewink.

From this description it doesn't look too hard to perform, I had few take-offs with my FMS Cessna, no problems whatsoever with it. I also trained approaches with and without flapperons with my PZ Spit, and if I only chose weather wisely - everything would be ok, sometimes wind was just far too strong, but no way I'm gonna be so reckless with Babywink.

I was looking for Cessna kit as 182 is my favourite, but You do have some kits for me anyway, so expect call from me anytime wink.

Cheers
Tom

Eddie Stocker - Formerly, DB Sport and Scale21/01/2013 20:24:27
94 forum posts
1 photos

"Top Tip" Tom,

IMMEDIATELY before flying, stand with behind your plane with the aircraft aiming away from you, check all of your control directions:- If on mode 2, push right stick to the right, the starboard (right) aileron should come up, the port (left) down, push the same stick left for the exact opposite effect on the ailerons.

Pull the right stick back, the elevator should come up, push it forward and it goes down. Now using your left stick, push it to the right, the rudder should move to the right, and left for left.

OK, you may well already know this, but very often, excitement & a little nervousness overcomes these checks on the field (even long time fliers make such mistakes). If all is as it should be, go ahead.

Eddie.

Concorde Speedbird21/01/2013 20:50:09
2730 forum posts
649 photos

You've done a great job on her, she looks lovely! Whether or not you undertake the maiden is your decision, I'm lucky enough to have test pilot Dad to fly my ones before I crash them! Nice job on the covering, the white over the stringers reminds me of when I was covering my Domino, somehow...

CS

Major21/01/2013 20:53:53
610 forum posts
213 photos

That is thing to remember. I almost always do perform pre-flight checks, at home and on the field. I forgot once and found reverse ailerons - my daughter was playing with Tx at home. That was a good lessonblush.

What makes me nervous is just the landing alone - belly landing in tall, often wet grass is a bit different than normal 2-pointer, which I done just few times before blush. But till then I will have some training with my Spit, before taking electronics from it.

Tom

Major21/01/2013 20:56:36
610 forum posts
213 photos

Thanks CSB.

Covering looks really amazing, I am very happy with the effect, but some vinyls will need to be placed onto the fuselage, to cover the signs of tuitionwink.

Dale Gibson22/01/2013 12:21:01
123 forum posts
26 photos

Looking good Tom, really coming together now.....great progress!!

Dale.

Major22/01/2013 12:38:13
610 forum posts
213 photos

Thank You Dale.

Now also bottom of fuselage is covered, currently I'm working on cockpit - floor, instrument panel (not any scale one, just a sticker) and connecting switch harness. By the way, Eddie, could you tell me please, how to make windscreen? In particular - what glue should I use, or how to attach it to the fuse?

Tonight I'm gonna order some servos for wing, and if my lady doesn't moan - additional 3m of Solartex.There is chance she (I mean Corbencool) will be RTF by the end of this weekcheeky.

Regards
Tom

Eddie Stocker - Formerly, DB Sport and Scale22/01/2013 14:05:59
94 forum posts
1 photos

Hi Tom,

To do the screen, cut a template from a ceareal box and test fit it before cutting the screen material. One way is to cut a basic hollowed out half moon shape (with the straight line of the half moon, curved slightly towards the outer curvarure). It is good to incorporate little tabs as you cut the inner curve so that these can be inserted & glued into small knife slits in the top coaming.

Remember, get the template right first.

Gorrilla glue is good, or you can use cyano, it will hold the tabs tight as well.

Eddie

Edited By Eddie Stocker - DB Sport and Scale on 22/01/2013 14:06:48

Major23/01/2013 02:00:06
610 forum posts
213 photos

Once more thank You very much for help Eddie!! Now I have to find material, as it has gone missing in my workshopwink.

Just purchased three servos. Not what I wanted (Savox), but still good TowerPro wink. Cockpit is already fitted and doped, instrument panel cut to size, everything ready for painting and fuel proofing. Most probably I will get 'tex this week and try to get her finished. Will upload some photos later.

Cheers

Tom

Roger M.23/01/2013 16:32:45
2 forum posts

Hi Major,

santa did deliver and I have started, I may have missed a comment, but notice no tank included and no mention of a recommended size or make, any suggestions???

Regards

Roger .

Major23/01/2013 17:11:21
610 forum posts
213 photos

Hello Roger!

I'm glad You're doing her as well. Will be nice to see how others will get on.

Regarding the tank - I have been advised by Eddie to use 6oz (180ml) tank, and that's what I have installed. Fitts nicely in its place, just as a side note - do not forget to glue the tank floor before finishing fuselagecheeky. I have of course ("will do it later", now it is done, but it was not very comfortable to docheeky.

Also please do not forget to start thread and post some pics regularly. If I may be of help, will do it gladly, but support from DB is much more than enough.

Best regards!
Tom

Eddie Stocker - Formerly, DB Sport and Scale23/01/2013 17:15:40
94 forum posts
1 photos

Hi Roger,

Nicely pointed out, we don't include a tank as more & more people are preferring to fly electric these days, so it is often a non needed item. However, if you wish to use one, we suggest a 6oz square tank to fit in nicely (I have just amended our web page to the same effect).

Eddie

Edited By Eddie Stocker - DB Sport and Scale on 23/01/2013 17:16:19

Major23/01/2013 17:24:57
610 forum posts
213 photos

Personally I think it's a crime to electrify models like this... The smell of fuel, sound and exhaust tube sticking out of the cowl add a lot magic to it :D.

Eddie Stocker - Formerly, DB Sport and Scale24/01/2013 10:15:27
94 forum posts
1 photos

Well Tom,

Nice thought, and we all have our preferences, but from where Judy & I stand, we can't pass any judgement either way, our opinions on what customers do with the aircraft would possibly be seen to be a bit biased. As you know, we try to help and asdvise in whichever direction the modeller chooses to go, we seem to get some useful feedback as a result.

Are you going to any shows this year Tom?

Eddie

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator24/01/2013 10:30:45
6744 forum posts
191 photos

Wow....great job there Tom.....how could I have missed your build!!!

Where are you going to fly her? I think this one is a bit too big for the park.....wink 2

Major24/01/2013 11:07:34
610 forum posts
213 photos

Eddie

Of course I do understand Your position and have nothing against it. Lambo dealers can not tell to the customers "no! your lambo won't be painted in pink with white flowers", same situation here. And from retailer point, it was nice move to supply info and links to electric setup, this is so often missing part of any sale, and so might cut the choice/divert it somewhere else.

I do appreciate all Your help as it is, especially when Judy told me on the phone "the full size was covered in fabric, so you can use cloth or Solartex". Wow, women here in UK keep supprising mewink.

For example my personal girl knows very little about planes - green - Spitfire, yellow - Cub, triangular - military, white with stripes - Cessna, white - Concorde, broken - Dreamlinerwink. She has moments of enlightment, then I can hear a lot about models and full size planes, but not often, she hates itwink. I try to put her back on course thowink...

Re shows - I really would like to go, but now can not say anything. Time will show...

Steve

Thank You for kind comment. I don't know yet where she'll be flown, but 1000% not local park, not maiden at least. It is too big risk - I am still newbie pilot and Baby Ace is nearly three times heavier than the heaviest plane I have flown before. So no way. I already got two spots in Preston, but I am more and more tempted to join club and maiden her there. It would be about time to join and start more "pro" modellingcheeky

Cheers

Tom

Edited By Major on 24/01/2013 11:08:20

Concorde Speedbird24/01/2013 16:37:10
2730 forum posts
649 photos

'white- Concorde', ha ha, brilliant!

I often prefer it when kits don't come with some items, that way I can fit my own for my preference.

I would reccommend flying her at a club (even if I am not in one) because then you could have an experienced modeller watch over as you fly your prized plane.

I am planning to go to Rougham and maybe North Weald.

CS

PS. I agree Tom, this plane is just made for a 40 four stroke! It'll be great on a low slow pass, then throttle up into a climb, ahhh...!

Major26/01/2013 10:55:40
610 forum posts
213 photos

I hope it's gona survive untill its first pass CSBblush.

A little more done... Cockpit painted in blue, panel sticker on, switch harness installed, same as throttle servo and remote glow plug adapter, everything fuel proofed, now I am seriously stuck with the cowl. It is glued together, trimmed, but is seems to be a little too long. My fault is - I drilled engine mounting holes 5 mm further than I should, but drilled additional holes as far forward as I could, and even then cowl is too long and I can't get prop to spin freely. So next question to Eddie - was the cowl produced to be trimmed lenghtwise as well?

Some pictures to be added later.

PS. Yesterday I received three servos (TPSG5010) and remote glow adapter, but mrs gave me clearance to get more 'tex and few other bits. I placed order already, so next week she'll be finished for sure - if I get my stuff from Blackburn on Tuesday, by the afternoon I have Corben RTFcheeky.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
CADMA
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us