Search for:  in Thread Title in  
KingKade11/10/2012 20:04:38
512 forum posts
22 photos

Heros of the skies on channel 5

Turbycat11/10/2012 20:35:32
594 forum posts
55 photos

Got it recording as the telly is being monopolised for Waterloo road!!

Dale Gibson11/10/2012 22:59:03
123 forum posts
26 photos

Has anyone seen the Red Tails movie that was released last year?

Bob Moore12/10/2012 00:09:52
736 forum posts
124 photos

I watched it. Interesting and nice to see the P51 etc. What shocked me was when they said the USAF considered black people weren't 'clever' enough, or wouldn't be able to learn to fly. And the comment that no black officer could give an order to a white man so thet created a squadron which was totally black. Engineers/ground crew/pilots etc. Such racism and it wasn't that long ago.

Tony K12/10/2012 23:58:27
228 forum posts
66 photos

Just watched it but I wished I hadn't bothered. What point were they trying to make?

Stephen Grigg13/10/2012 00:04:22
8691 forum posts
1128 photos

I thoroughly enjoyed the programme,The point made was that Black pilots were considered inferior but proved they were so good that the bomber crews they supported always requested them because they were best at the job of support and there identity was kept secret,but after a bomber crew crash landed an were brought to there base,the truth was out.They returned to the US and were treated as second citizens once more.Because a black person at that time could not give any ahite man an order,the whole squadren was black and highly successful.

Andy Ennis13/10/2012 09:43:47
148 forum posts
4 photos

I've just watched this episode (had it recorded) and although it was interesting in that it highlighted the terrible racism they had to endure, I personally would have preferred it to concentrate more on the personal tales of heroism in the skies, as the rest of the series has done.

Still a watchable program though

Tony K13/10/2012 09:52:03
228 forum posts
66 photos
Posted by Stephen Grigg on 13/10/2012 00:04:22:

I thoroughly enjoyed the programme,The point made was that Black pilots were considered inferior but proved they were so good that the bomber crews they supported always requested them because they were best at the job of support and there identity was kept secret,but after a bomber crew crash landed an were brought to there base,the truth was out.They returned to the US and were treated as second citizens once more.Because a black person at that time could not give any ahite man an order,the whole squadren was black and highly successful.

Stephen, good synopsis. My view is that the program is called "Heroes of the skies" and all pilots who flew in a war are heroes (whatever country they flew for) but shouldn't this program focus on those who were particularly heroic, whose deeds stood out from the standard heroism?

It is my understanding that the featured fighter group used the tactic of staying with the bombers they were defending rather than chasing the enemy's fighters and that is the reason they were favoured by the bomber crews. Despite this, many bombers were lost to enemy fire.

I may be wrong but I also understand that not one pilot of the 332 group was ever given the title of "ace".

I am not denigrating any of that partcular group of heroes but the program should be about flying not racism.

Dai Fledermaus13/10/2012 18:23:37
1030 forum posts
52 photos

I don’t want to seem to be to picky chaps, but I’m surprised that no one commented on the Hawker Hurricane used in the background in one or two scenes, and the ground crew working on the Merlin engine of said Hurricane. Did the production team think no one would spot it?

Cols

Stephen Grigg13/10/2012 19:41:53
8691 forum posts
1128 photos

Yes I agree with you but they were a collection of heroes and all aces in my book,.I did learn this evening that the first troops to arrive on our shores were black Americans,and we welcomed them npenly and they brought with then the jive.When the White troops arrivedthey wanted the black troops segregated but they were soon put in place by the British public.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us