By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Hi, new to RC planes

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
andy33519/10/2012 20:15:54
9 forum posts

Hi, i'm new to RC planes and i've been lurking on here for about a week trying to absorb a little knowledge to get me started in this new hobby.

Thanks for all the info kindly provided on this forum and thanks in advance for all the newbie questions i'm bound to have smiley

I've probably gone at it slightly the wrong way around but i've found my local club via the internet but i've not been in touch with them yet but i have just ordered an AMTF(?) plane.

After browsing the forum for a IC trainer i've gone for the seagull arrising star which comes with a SC46A IC.

I've still got quite a big to do/buy list to get through but atleast i'll have my plane on monday to play with.

This is going to be a fairly slow build up though as i've probably got to spread the costs over a couple of months.

Whats the next logical thing i should buy for this build ?

Club subs

servos

RX/TX

accessories

other ?

Thanks

Andy

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator19/10/2012 21:44:26
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Hi Andy,

welcome on board and well done for taking the plunge!

The Arising Star is a good choice of trainer. A nice, solid, well behaved model and I'm sure you'll have great fun and learn a lot with it.

What next eh? Well I'd suggest getting down to the club and a chat with the guys there before you invest in some radio gear. They wont make you pay subs just to ask a few questions! What you want to know is "is there any prefered radio system that their instructors use or within reason can you pick your own?"

The most likely answer will be either Specktrum or Futaba, or either if my club is typical!

Then you need to save up to get the radio gear - because quite soon you going to need servos and an Rx to put in the Arising Star. Most traders will do a good deal on a basic tranny, 4 servos and a receiver as a package.

Don't forget, any questions don't hesitate to post! You'll probably be able to find quite a few threads on here about various aspects of the Arising Star anyway as its a pretty popular trainer.

BEB

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator19/10/2012 21:48:25
6765 forum posts
199 photos

Welcome from me too Andy....enjoy the forum & your new hobby.

As BEB says fire away with the questions...there are literally centuries of experience on here & remember the only daft question is the one you don't ask....

Don't forget to try the search function too.....chances are it's been discussed before.....

Greybeard20/10/2012 08:10:35
726 forum posts
6 photos

Welcome to the forum Andy, seems like you have made a good start. I second the advice to visit your local club soon, in fact if you have the luxury of more than one club in your area then I should visit them all and see which you prefer.

Most clubs have their own trainer aircraft so you may be able to get a little stick time in whilst you are sorting your kit out. smile

andy33520/10/2012 08:18:52
9 forum posts

Thanks for the warm welcome chaps.

I'll get in touch with the club to let them know i'd like to attend their next weekly meet, best give them a little warning i'm coming rather than just turning up i guess ?

Just trying to figure how many chanel RX/TX i need to get so i can buget for it. I know i need 4 chanels for my trainer and it's best to buy more chanels to future proof your self for more advanced/subsequent planes but more chanels ratchets up the price a lot !

Would six be ok ?

Make of RX/TX TBC depending on what's used at the club of course.

Do you pay the clubs subs which gets you your BMFA membership or do you buy them separetely ?

I bought my model from kings lynn model shop online so i'll see if they can do me a RX/TX/servo deal.

Thanks

Andy

Prop Nut20/10/2012 08:50:26
336 forum posts
1 photos

BEB's club is not necessarily typical, so don't be easily led down the path of just two choices of radio system. Kings Lynn Models are a great retailer, with lots of choice of radio. If you want and can afford something better, look at JR Macgregor - but don't buy anything until you've had a chance to hold it in your hands to get a feel for balance and comfort. Some clubs, with a strong training ethic, will provide both trainer and Tx/buddy box to start, albeit at a hire charge to you. After, you can choose whatever radio grabs you. Six channels is a good choice for a 'club' flyer but, again, if you can afford it, go for more.

It is probably better-mannered to make contact with a club committee member so that they can welcome you properly to your first meeting, but most clubs are very informal and will hopefully welcome you warmly whatever way you turn up.

If your club is BMFA-affiliated, they will deal with all the admin for you; you don't need to join the BMFA separately - although you may if you wish (in which case they will take only club membership subs from you). As most clubs renew membership from 1st January, you may want to hold off joining until December.

Peter Miller20/10/2012 08:54:13
11771 forum posts
1416 photos
10 articles

Hi and well done on your approach to the hobby.

Yes, see the club to find out their favourite radio make, because if you go with the most popular radio you will have more chance of getting training on a buddy box for dual control.

To be honest you will not need more that six channel radio. Even when you get well into the hobby you will only need the four basic controls plus (possibly) flaps and retracting under carriage.

MikeS20/10/2012 08:54:24
818 forum posts
240 photos

Andy.

Bmfa and club are separate payments. Some clubs will sort it all out for you when you join. Best to ask your club.

Six channels are fine, if you can get seven or eight channels then even better but its a balance of cost over setting up your first plane or course you may find you decide to get into helicopters and your six channels will all be used.

For a trainer model you normally need the following servo's:

1 x throttle, 1 x aileron, 1 x elevator, 1 x rudder, so a six channel radio is fine.

Later on should you move on to a low wing model with separate ailerons then you would need:

1 x throttle, 2 x aileron, 1 x elevator, 1 x rudder so a six channel radio is fine.

Following on from a low trainer you may move on to a model with flaps and retracts. This is where it gets interesting.

My P47 requires some nine servos and as I have a seven channel DX7 radio so unless I upgrade my radio to more channels I would have to set it up as follows:

2 x ailerons, 2 x flaps, 1 x throttle, 1 x rudder, 2 x elevator, 1 x retract, so to get round the problem with seven channels I would have to set it up as follows:

2 x ailerons on separate channels,

2 x flaps on a y lead to one channel

1 x throttle to one channel

1 x rudder to one channel

2 x elevator on a y lead to one channel

1 x retract to one channel

I first brought a DX6I and soon ran out of channels so then brought a DX7.

Buy the best you can with the money you have available.

You may decide the hobby is not for you.

Mike

Edited By MikeS on 20/10/2012 09:09:20

andy33520/10/2012 09:24:50
9 forum posts

Wow, very quick and informative replies, thanks !

I've definately got to get my self to the club and check out the differing TX's as just browsing online they look very complicated.

Edited By andy335 on 20/10/2012 09:26:15

Andy Gates20/10/2012 19:29:56
645 forum posts
20 photos

Welcome to the hobby Andy, looks like you are already making all the right decissions to get you on your way. Congratulations in making the first correct step.

All the advice above is pretty good and I would follow it.

From your first post I do wonder if you are a little cash strapped like many of us are at the moment - I do not expect a response from this statement. The reason I make that statement it is that a lot of people are making the move from 35MHz to 2.4GHz radio frequency.

Both are perfectly legal for aircraft flying and both work well, most people I believe are making the move for reasons of not having to check the channel number that you and others are flying on (2.4GHz does not work on a fixed channel but sort of changes around all the time where as 35MHz relies on a fixed frequency being used).

With this in mind, those moving from 35MHz to 2.4GHz are selling their gear off which means perfectly servicable 35MHz gear can be aquired for not an awfull lot of money. I picked up an 8 channel Futaba transmitter for around £50, recievers can be had for as little as £10.

Again consult the fellows at your regular flying site / club and see what they say, your instructor may well fly a 2.4GHz system but it is possible that a 35MHz transmitter can be used as a buddy box when you learn and then you can carry on using it after as a stand alone unit.

Mike your P47 can run on 6 channels, no necessity for split aileron channels. If the reason is for aileron differential, then simple servo / control surface horn geometery will allow this to occur without the need for the split.

Josip Vrandecic -Mes20/10/2012 19:41:43
2993 forum posts
260 photos

Hello Andy,warm welcome from me....face 1

Cheers

Joe

andy33523/10/2012 19:38:11
9 forum posts

Thanks again for your welcomes and info smiley

My kit has arrived safe and sound, i've ordered glues/props x2/servos x4/ect minus the 30min epoxy as it's out of stock from kingslynn models so i'll have to source it else where.

I'll start a build log of sorts once i've got all the little bits together, it might help a fellow newbie in the future ?

Emailed the club and i'm going to their next meeting on friday evening.

So a few dots are starting to join up but still along way to go.smiley

Codename-John23/10/2012 20:40:51
1087 forum posts
18 photos

Araldite is epoxy Andy, theres a slow ( best left overnight, blue and white tubes from memory but check), you can get it from anywhere these days, tesco`s, halfords etc, no need for anything exotic branded stuff (expensive) from a model shop

Peter Miller24/10/2012 08:16:00
11771 forum posts
1416 photos
10 articles

People will tell you that you have to use slow curing epoxy glues for extra strength.

Having done a few tests with glues of various types I can tell that provided the joint is made well the wood breaks in every case, even with plywood and hardwood.

Jim Carss24/10/2012 09:09:14
2169 forum posts
85 photos

Andy,

Rapid Araldite is about £8 and Wilkos rapid epoxy is only £3,and does the job very well.

JIm

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Subscribe now
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!