Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Another Greenacres contender - The Whizzza

A Whizzza built while we were waiting.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Redex15/01/2013 15:57:37
161 forum posts

Hi Chris, thanks for the response, an upto date video when available would be great - yes I've seen that wood packs are now available and am tempted to have a go.

Andy Muckley23/01/2013 00:25:14
365 forum posts
13 photos

Hi Guys i have built a couple of whizzers and can honestly say its a great model to build and is endless fun. never leave the house without it as they say. To echoe Chris it will handle a good gust and on full rates will keep you on your toes but at the same time wont do anything nasty, just brilliant, it will knife edge, flick, stall turn e.t.c.

I only wish my covering was as good as Chris's

GrahamC08/07/2013 21:47:42
1240 forum posts
196 photos

Despite a fantastic weather forecast for my day off, the day itself turned out to be grey with drizzle on the East coast so... I finally decided to make a start on my Whizzza.

At the end of day one....

I've also cut the rudder and elevators and wing tips. I've decided to fit a rear fire wall, and I'll make a cowl by shrinking a pop bottle over a balsa plug.

If Chris Bott reads this... I'd very much appreciate some hint as to how much side thrust I should plan for! [EDIT: I think I may have found the answer 2.5mm ish sound about right?]

The next job will be the shaping of the wing, and drilling and fitting the captive nuts to the firewall.

Edited By GrahamC on 08/07/2013 21:54:18

Chris Bott - Moderator08/07/2013 22:59:26
6835 forum posts
1429 photos
1 articles

Hi Graham that looks a great start in a day

I'll have a look at mine to see if I can tell thrustlines tomorrow if that's OK and post then?

Colin Leighfield08/07/2013 23:31:05
5996 forum posts
2503 photos

I'd originally hoped that the Whizza would be first choice for the mass-build because of great experiences beyond expectations with my Fizza built from the free plan several years ago. As it's turned out I'm very happy with the Tucano, so no regrets. However, I've kept the Whizza free plan and I wouldn't take a lot of persuading. I've got a couple of other things to knock off first though! I'm definitely going to follow this thread.

Chris Bott - Moderator09/07/2013 17:28:47
6835 forum posts
1429 photos
1 articles

Thrustlines then, I've had a look at mine and think that these older photos show better what I set in. Whatever the angles are, it's proved ideal.

dsc09673 (custom).jpg

dsc09670 (custom).jpg

GrahamC10/07/2013 22:31:20
1240 forum posts
196 photos

Thanks for that Chris. Very Helpful.

I managed to get another couple of hours on the Whizzza tonight. The main wings were profiled, with the razor plane, and then sanded. Then [and only then] the wing tips were fixed on and profiled.

I've also fitted and shaped the rear upper deck

The tail feathers are just sat in place at the moment.

I've also fitted the front servo rail and a pair of snakes with a lightply support. The last job this eveing was fitting the rear bottom decking.

I need to decide now whether I'm going to cover it with film, or use glass/tissue and Ezekote, and order a motor.

I'm thinking about using the undercarriage from a WOT4 Foamy that I have going spare.

GrahamC20/07/2013 19:31:11
1240 forum posts
196 photos

A quick update.... My whizzza is now covered in Ezekote and tissue and in its undercoat....

p1010302.jpg

I made a canopy from a pop bottle...

p1010299.jpg

p1010300.jpg

I'm planning to make a cowl in exactly the same way.

Colin Leighfield21/07/2013 00:03:28
5996 forum posts
2503 photos

You won't go far wrong with that one, very nice.

GrahamC24/07/2013 17:11:06
1240 forum posts
196 photos

I'm getting there.... All painted & Surfaces to hinge next.... I'm very chuffed with the pop bottle canopy!

I've got two projects on the go and its hard to know which to concentrate on!

p1010309.jpg

Andrew76724/07/2013 22:40:54
809 forum posts
4 photos

This one Graham!!!...the canopy is excellent..can't wait to see the cowl.

Andrew

Jack Banner04/09/2013 10:51:38
332 forum posts
43 photos

Any update on this Graham? I may be starting mine in the next few weeks and am keen on the idea of a solid firewall with a pop bottle cowl. Be good to see how you went about it.

Your firewall looks farly heavy duty, is it ply or balsa?

GrahamC04/09/2013 11:15:29
1240 forum posts
196 photos

I'm being lazy Jack!

I've been flying it like this...

The studding from the fire wall was to help get the CofG in the ball park, and my thinking was that once I have got the thrust line right I would make a cowl....

However... I've been finishing off another build, and havn't had time [or relatively calm weather] to fiddle. The firewall is 6mm ply - 3mm would probably be OK [not liteply!] If I were building another, I would go with a built up tail as achieving the CofG on the plan is tricky. HOWEVER... I'm thinking from my flying that even the rear CofG marked on the plan is very conservative and that it could come back further.

My current plan is to try it with the motor mounted on the firewall and see if that takes the C of G back too far. Once I've done that I'll make a cowl... but it might be balsa.. we will see.

I have to say that even though it feels quite heavy, it flies very well indeed and slows down remarkably well. It will be good for the winter as its quick enough to cut through the wind.

Jack Banner04/09/2013 20:35:43
332 forum posts
43 photos

Well, if you are enjoying flying it, where is the motivation to 'finish' it!

Thanks for the details on your firewall and motor mounting. I am planning on having a fairly hefty motor in mine also and will need some down and side thrust to compensate I expect, given that both Chris and you have gone that way. I was planning on laminating two pieces of 3mm ply (with the grain at right angles) to provide a solid mounting for my motor but I like the flexibility that the studding gives for adjustments, if you are fiddling with it in the near future could you take a few close up shots of the mounting? i have only ever mounted direct to ply or to the included fittings before.

My 'plan' is to start mine in the next few weeks with the idea of having it finished before the last of the good weather disappears. To that end I am pleased to hear more confimration that it handles wind well.

Jack Banner17/10/2013 09:33:11
332 forum posts
43 photos

Finally got mine started. Hoping to crack on with it at the weekend.

bare fuselage

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!