Forum sponsored by CML

Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale

build blog

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Nick Somerville20/02/2020 15:35:32
50 forum posts
34 photos

Thanks Steve, Semi retirement helps the build time immensely, though I had a months break recently due to building a Sauna in our garage for my other half. What colour scheme are you planning? I like my mostly white but reckon it will be a pain to keep clean.

Steve Dunne20/02/2020 15:55:40
132 forum posts
57 photos

Nick - almost completely retired but seem to have less time than when I was working full time!surprise.

Started last August, just starting to cover...
Using Oratex for the first time, Cub Yellow, and discovered that Oracolor paint has three different versions of Cub Yellow.
One shade for Oracover film, one marked "scale", and one to match Oratex. Guess which one is not in stock at LMS?face 14.

Steve.

g-awef.jpg

Nick Somerville20/02/2020 16:53:39
50 forum posts
34 photos

Well that is going to look very nice Steve. I seem to remember looking at some pictures of that aircraft.... black underside I think it was.

Steve Dunne20/02/2020 17:32:58
132 forum posts
57 photos

Yes, all black underside. At least it will show up against a blue sky (I vaguely remember those!).

Glenn Ryan20/02/2020 21:39:44
54 forum posts
1 photos

If I am correct G-AWEF now resides in Australia and is registered as VH-WEF. When I get around to my Stampe I had planned on doing it as VH-WEF. It is hangared in a town that is about 5 hours from my house so I plan to go and see it. I saw it in person in at the end of 2017. Lovely plane smiley

Glenn Ryan20/02/2020 21:46:15
54 forum posts
1 photos

Scrap that above. I've just come to the realisation that there is 2 near identical Stampe's that have very similar registrations. Go figure haha.

So it looks like G-AWEF is still in the UK and VH-WEF is still here in Australia. Interesting.

cymaz21/02/2020 05:47:37
9019 forum posts
1187 photos

Still, whatever the colour scheme, an excellent build yes

David Davis21/02/2020 07:48:15
3584 forum posts
655 photos

I last saw G-AWEF dismantled in a shed near Eggesford, North Devon, and there is or was a 1/3 scale version of the aircraft at the Shropshire Model Flying Club.

bill sewards stampe.jpg

Edited By David Davis on 21/02/2020 07:57:22

Nick Somerville26/02/2020 16:51:38
50 forum posts
34 photos

stampe 5.jpgstampe 2.jpgWell almost there now. Just waiting on two packs of clevises so I can attach the rigging wires and the aileron connecting rods.

Had a mishap yesterday trying to bend the first windshield as I made the grave error of scoring the fold line and off course it snapped! Should have heated the fold.

A call to the very nice people at SLEC and for the cost of £2.10 plus postage I had not one but a pair of replacements and two packs of white nylon bolts thrown in, next day, as the ones I had in the kit were red. Thanks SLEC.

So I put it on the scales and the AUW is a shade under 15lbs. At the moment it balances dead level with my fingers under the rear wing bolts. Suggestions please as to whether this needs moving forward. Also those nylon bolts really are a devil to screw in what with the cabana struts in the way and the general friction of them. Any tips on how to make that part of rigging easier much appreciated too.

With luck some better weather next week and I will spend some time running the Laser 180 up to check fuel lines and set the throttle; then no excuses.

stampe 1.jpg

stampe 3.jpg

cymaz26/02/2020 16:57:22
9019 forum posts
1187 photos

You’ve done well with the weight....mine is about 17-18 lbs. The cg has been covered in this thread a some length but I can’t remember which page

Steve Dunne26/02/2020 17:20:44
132 forum posts
57 photos

Very nice indeed, Nick!

Just to ask a silly question (caused by conversations with clubmates a little while ago):

Did you measure the CG with the tailplane level, or with the fuselage datum stringers level?
It can make quite a difference to the balance point...

Steve.

Steve Dunne26/02/2020 17:21:53
132 forum posts
57 photos

A question, Nick:

How did you fasten the windscreen to the fuselage? Not a lot of meat to fasten to...

Jon - Laser Engines26/02/2020 17:28:05
5203 forum posts
237 photos

Looks great! Mine is 16lbs with a heavy undercarriage so ignoring that yours is the same as mine. Takeoff at 1/2 throttle, its all you need. Full power for loops/stall turns and thats all

Nick Somerville26/02/2020 17:30:37
50 forum posts
34 photos

Steve,

The tailplane comes up level with a finger on each of the rear bolts.

The windshields were very decent quality/thick plastic so I simply drilled four pilot holes, held in place and drilled again into the model and used the little self tappers that Slec had put in the kit to mount the plastic strut brackets. Perfect size and plenty strong enough into the fuselage top deck due to the glass cloth finish. I had folded a strip of sticky backed foil tape around the bottom edge to add some bling.

Martin McIntosh26/02/2020 17:46:23
3148 forum posts
1133 photos

Following advice on here, mine balances at 1" forward of the upper wing TE. Never tried moving it. Weight as built 6.2kg so yours should be fine. 18x8 on the Laser works well for me.

Nick Somerville26/02/2020 18:13:43
50 forum posts
34 photos

Thanks Martin, 6.2kg is a lightweight build! Yes thats a 18 x 8 I have for the first few hours of running but plan to change to a 20 x 6 later.

Jon - Laser Engines26/02/2020 18:29:55
5203 forum posts
237 photos

mine balances a bit nose down at the rear bolts. I also have a smidge of down trim. I wouldnt recommend going too far forward as mine will run out of elevator on landing if i get too slow. I use a higher rate on landing to protect against this

Nick Somerville26/02/2020 18:55:29
50 forum posts
34 photos

Good to know Jon. I have set up rates on the elevator. I haven’t measured any incidences and will just see what elevator trim I have used after the maiden.

Martin McIntosh26/02/2020 19:15:19
3148 forum posts
1133 photos

I believe that I got a duff version of the plan. Mine flies with an unbelievable amount of down trim, it looks like full down elevator but does not affect the model in any way. Tried packing up the top wing TE a little but that made little difference so I have left as it is. Since the fus. sides are constructed over the plan with 1/4 sq. spruce it would have been difficult for me to have got this wrong but just be warned. I understand that mine is not the only one to turn out like that.

The only changes I made were to replace the nasty die crunched wing ribs with light 1/8th balsa ones and strengthen the wing centre sections with 1/8th birch ply.

cymaz26/02/2020 20:00:46
9019 forum posts
1187 photos

I too added to the top wing TE and added nose weight. Flew well after that....if you can forget looking at the down elevator.

For Nick’s piece of mind, I will try and find the cg page.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
CADMA
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us