Forum sponsored by CML

Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale

build blog

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Adrian Hazeldine08/07/2020 20:06:28
23 forum posts
1 photos

Quick question - have the majority of models built retained the castoring tailwheel as per the plan?

Steve Dunne08/07/2020 20:41:31
170 forum posts
94 photos

Hi Adrian,

I retained the castering tailwheel on both of my Stampes, and have very few issues in ground handling (no problems at all in the air... cheeky).
The only time that the rudder is not enough is when trying to turn back out of wind at the end of the landing roll out, but then I find the same problem with my 1/4 Jungmeister and 1/4 Christen eagle both of which have steerable tailwheels.

They can all manage it if I retain enough draught over the fin&rudder, but sometimes ground conditions make that difficult...

Go with it!

Steve.

Nick Somerville08/07/2020 20:53:43
109 forum posts
68 photos

Mine is as per plan and also no issues and behaves as Steve said. I recall that on my first Stampe I put a pin into the underside of the rudder and connected it to the tailwheel with a rubber band for increased steering authority.

John Bisset08/07/2020 21:15:25
226 forum posts
5 photos

What Steve describes is how I recall the full size Stampe behaved too.

Serious crosswinds were 'challenging' = best avoided and even in light crosswinds sometimes accepting a gentle, slow, groundloop was the safe option when taxying. On hard surfaces sometimes that wee burst of power to get rudder authority could be a headache causing speed build up, and real Stampes mostly have light tail weight so using the brakes is best avoided. Lots of fun - thinking ahead mattered.

John B

cymaz08/07/2020 21:53:54
9281 forum posts
1200 photos

Steerable tailwheel on mine. Taxiing is easy

Adrian Hazeldine09/07/2020 17:23:06
23 forum posts
1 photos

thanks for the info everyone.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!