Which Engine do I buy for my TM

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dai Fledermaus02/11/2012 14:46:29
1041 forum posts
52 photos

tyro major.jpg

Hello again I need your advice,

I mentioned in a previous thread that as someone returning to the hobby after forty odd years, I'm building a Tyro Major from a plan by DB Sport & Scale. My problem is that I need to make a decision about which engine to buy before I can go much further with the fuz. The plan suggests 0.19 to 0.30 cu ins but the design dates from the early 1970's, and engines, I think ,have become more powerful since then. Also, I'm aware that this design can be a bit on the heavy side, if you are not careful, so I'm trying to keep it as light as I can. I see on previous threads, someone built one, years ago, which flew O.K. on an Enya 19 whilst someone else with an RM Trainer, another Boddington design and very similar to the Tyro Major, found it struggled to get off the grass with an OS 25 but he did admit he was inexperienced when it came to choosing the right grade of Balsa for it. Someone else said that his nylon covered TM with a 0.30 engine was the ideal trainer.

My budget is a bit limited and whilst I would prefer a four stroke, I'm going to have content myself with a two stroke. The ASP 25 or 32 from just Engines are in my price range, but which one should I buy? My gut feeling is to have a bit more power rather than a bit less and after all you do have a throttle to keep the speed down if it turn out to be quicker than the reactions of this 65 year old.

Cols

ken anderson.02/11/2012 17:22:39
8527 forum posts
773 photos

hello colin...either of the engine's you have managed will do the trick for you......as you say......they will have more power than the older design's...me i would pick the 32.....have fun.....

ken anderson...ne..1........... 32 ... dept..

Reno Racer02/11/2012 19:07:02
1138 forum posts
168 photos

I second the ASP. I simply love them to bits. Super reliable and best of all cheap (from HobbyKing anyway). i'd also go for the 32, easier to thottle back than run out of throttle and little difference in price.

Edited By Christian Ackroyd on 02/11/2012 19:19:18

Doug Campbell03/11/2012 03:17:14
97 forum posts
2 photos

A modern 32 would be a bit much unless you are proficient with the throttle stick.

Second hand four strokes are dropping in price - there is an as new ASP FS30 on the BMFA classified for £40.

Alternatively you could go for a period engine, lower revving which would be better suited to the model. Some really good OS Max 30 regularly come up on ebay very cheaply.

Cheers

Doug

Doug Campbell03/11/2012 03:20:21
97 forum posts
2 photos

Colin,

Forgot to say, great choice of model. I am currently flying a Mini Tyro, 049 powered on rudder only, and am building a Tyro, which will probably be Mils 1.3 powered as per the original. All fly very very well. Your build looks top notch - a credit to you.

Doug

cymaz03/11/2012 06:59:00
8924 forum posts
1180 photos

SC 32fs. got one in a Junior 60...love it

Jim Carss03/11/2012 08:18:22
2076 forum posts
82 photos

MIne flew well on a bog standard OS20,got SC30 fs in scaled up Gamine 60" span and its spot on

bouncebounce crunch03/11/2012 08:34:46
1739 forum posts
212 photos

C.Ashman i hate this type of question, as I always seem to have one way too big or one a little underpowered (keep your jokes to yourself.) so then it is back to the negotiations with the wife. that bleeding diamond ring is getting bigger with each deal. blaassst.

Richard Wood03/11/2012 17:46:46
1094 forum posts
164 photos

Very nice model Colinthumbs up.

Another vote here for the ASP32 2 stroke.

As stated, you can always throttle back a touch if necessary.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CADMA
Sussex Model Centre
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us