Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

RCM&E April 2013 issue preview!

RCM&E April 2013 issue preview!

in the shops 8th March

Shane Sunday27/03/2014 08:43:48
342 forum posts
160 photos

Thanks D I thought she was pretty fast myself. Nothing I can't handle. Actually I rather like the speed. Have you got any photos of yours? perhaps some video? The stall is almost a non event, I've put washout in the wing and it really helps. I know I can get that landing speed down its just about getting to know her at the moment.

Peter you're the designer yours should have performed perfectsmiley. It truely is a fantastic model to fly and looks great in the sky too. The fellas at the field were quite interested as to what it was as they thought it was and arf. D if you can put a bigger engine in there then I highly recommend it. The model can handle it and the extra power far exceeds the weight gain. I really think this thing should be built by more people as it's a pretty easy build and such a joy to fly.

Peter I just got it. You were flying the pants off it!!! sorry its early.

Edited By Shane Sunday on 27/03/2014 08:48:11

Peter Miller27/03/2014 08:58:26
9703 forum posts
1152 photos
10 articles

Hi Shane.

My SC .32 was plenty. Probably more powerful than the OS 40LA by a long way. I build all my models to fly on the wing, not on masses of power.

Anyway, I am very glad that you like your so much. I know that you will have a lot of fun with it from now on.

Peter

Rob Tothill29/03/2014 15:13:09
111 forum posts
8 photos

Hi,

I have now very nearly got my oodalally ready for covering. I'm just trying to sort out the wing seating as my wing does not exactly match the seat in the fuselage. I'm sure this is due to my inexperience and dodgy building skills and not the design! I'm wondering if Peter would be able to tell me what the incidence should be, as I've been told as long as I get this about right it should fly ok.

I've tried to measure it from the plan and as far as I can tell the t/e is about 2mm lower that the l/e, which gives a positive incidence of about 1.2 degrees. Am I in the right ball park?

Rob

Peter Miller29/03/2014 18:35:06
9703 forum posts
1152 photos
10 articles

The incidence should be Zero degrees. A little positive incidence will not hurt although it may make inverted flight interesting.

Negative incidence is a definite NO NO.

Gary Vinten 129/03/2014 18:39:58
520 forum posts
326 photos
1 articles

Hi Rob

Peters models are normally 0/0 ,if the wing seat is not fitting try using An incident meter to get it correct or take a measurement from the data line enlightened good luck

Gary

Rob Tothill29/03/2014 20:49:05
111 forum posts
8 photos

Thanks for your responses Gary and Peter. I'll try to borrow an incidence meter to measure it.

Peter Miller30/03/2014 08:46:32
9703 forum posts
1152 photos
10 articles

Don't worry about an incidence meter.

Set the model up on a level surface. Push in pins along the top line of the fuselage side out side the wing.

Push pins into the trailing edge of the wing and the centre of curvature of the leading edge.

The distance from the pins in the fuselage to the ground (level surface) should be equal, the Distance from the two pins in the wing to the surface should be equal.

I have an incidence meter. It takes more setting up that the simple pin method because I have to start off making sure that the surface that the model is standing on is dead horizontal.

D for Donald02/04/2014 16:21:04
68 forum posts
8 photos

oodalally 004.jpgYou asked me for some pics of my effort Shane - here they are. I thought Ood looked a bit Mustang-esque so my colour scheme it taken from one.oodalally 003.jpg

Luther Oswalt02/04/2014 18:08:31
136 forum posts

D for Donald - I really like the colors and the graphics. Beautiful plane ... well done!

Leo

Peter Miller02/04/2014 18:34:08
9703 forum posts
1152 photos
10 articles

Very smart

Terry Walters02/04/2014 19:43:09
1831 forum posts
1068 photos

That's a good looking finish D for Donald! Well done. yes

Actually got some work done on mine this week but off now for a few days again so no more until I'm back. Hope to have it finished by the end of April. I'm going for the 'Longest Build Time for an Oodallay Award' as I started it last August as a quick build!!clockno

Terry

Shane Sunday05/04/2014 14:22:24
342 forum posts
160 photos

She looks brilliant D. Tell me do you find her difficult to see in the skies? Absolute cracker!

Thanks for sharing.

D for Donald05/04/2014 18:10:35
68 forum posts
8 photos

Thanks very much all for your kind comments - I'm glad you like it. It's not difficult to see Shane, with the invasion markings just on the top of the wing . The wings are silver on the bottom but I've not had a problem so far even on cloudy days. By the way with the FP40 now on song mine shifts too!!

AJ10/04/2014 10:53:23
143 forum posts
12 photos

Finally completed my new 4 channel wing.

002.jpg

And from the top.-

003.jpg

I have set up the inboard surfaces on a 3 way switch so they can be either used as flaps, added to the outboard ailerons or disabled. Flaps are controlled on a slider so I can wind them up or down, once I have worked out the best positions I will move them onto another 3 pos switch.

The servos are connected via a 4 channel sbus to cppm adapter so there is only a single connection required to the rx. The second lead you can see is for lights which are on a separate channel.

I have built it so the two outer ailerons are on channels 2 & 5 which are the same channels I use on my 2 channel wing, that way I can swap between wings without having to change the Tx settings, assuming the trims are all correctly centred The two inboard surfaces are on channels 9 & 10 so I can control/trim them independently from the Tx.

Just off to the field to give it a try.

Andrew

Peter Miller10/04/2014 11:14:42
9703 forum posts
1152 photos
10 articles

I will be very interested to hear how they work. It looks very good.

I am about to design a new model and may be incorporating flaps as I ahev some telemetry to play with...I hope,

D for Donald10/04/2014 14:01:53
68 forum posts
8 photos

Very good stuff Andrew.

Will12320/06/2014 21:16:23
21 forum posts

Gentlemen,

I am coming to the end of my Oodalally build, my first build, and it has been an adventure. I need one final piece of advice - is there an easy way to get the correct shape of the wind screen or is it a case of drawing and cutting it out free hand?

Peter Miller21/06/2014 08:21:41
9703 forum posts
1152 photos
10 articles

Basically it is the old "cut and try" method. I suggest using an old cereal box for card. Should give you plenty of material.

Once happy cut it out of clear plastic.

I use really tiny screws to hold it down in about three palces and then glue with canopy glue. I have found that Zap canopy glue is the best but MD products Procan is just about as good.

D for Donald21/06/2014 09:57:33
68 forum posts
8 photos

If you want a canopy rather than a screen, I cut one out from a Lidl fresh orange bottle -see my pics earlier.

Rob Tothill16/07/2014 20:38:32
111 forum posts
8 photos
I finally finished mine and it was Maidened yesterday.

It flew very well on an Enya 25 ss bb, and the small engine kept it slow enough for me to handle despite my relative inexperience.

I'm very pleased with how she turned out, and thoroughly enjoyed building her
Many thanks Peter! Thanks too for all the advice and info others have added to this thread.

I will add some photos when I've time to read how.

Rob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
Revoc
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Motion RC
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us