Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Anybody else see "Dust Up"?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Romeo Whisky30/11/2012 08:47:49
724 forum posts
202 photos

I'm surprised no-one else has commented on the programme "Dust Up" which was aired on the Quest Channel last Tuesday night. There were two episodes back-to-back about crop dusters in Canada flying Piper Pawnees - which I know are often modelled. Made you realise how deadly dangerous this job is. One crashed in a swampy wood and was lucky not be killed. Another was shown flying under power lines at the end of his run, before stall-turning to go around for the next section. Then a bird strike at zero altitude! One hit a duck and had to force land. Often had to land on narrow dirt roads in high crosswind, dodging vehicles. And all in old 'planes that aren't even made any more! It's on again next Tuseday - worth watching out for.

Ian Jones30/11/2012 13:11:36
3219 forum posts
1397 photos

I knew it was going to be on - hadn't realised I'd missed it though. My sister used to do power cable checks and cloud seeding across there so this sort of program takes my interest.

I'll try and get it next time around.

Foamie Dave30/11/2012 13:43:57
530 forum posts
866 photos

Good find RW.

Setting up on the TIVO as we speak - should make good alternative crimbo veiwing !yes

Bob Cotsford30/11/2012 15:09:48
8261 forum posts
454 photos

series link set - thanks!

Turbycat30/11/2012 16:18:36
594 forum posts
55 photos

Gonna be recording that. Forgot it was on first time round.

Andy

Prop Nut30/11/2012 17:09:24
336 forum posts
1 photos

Having had my appetite whetted by the trailer, I made sure to see the programme (10 pm, Freeview channel 38, Tuesday). I have the Hangar 9 Piper Pawnee (40 size), and had a similar scale Kyosho Cessna 188 AgWagon until a few years ago which, to my regret, I sold to someone who had crashed his. I first caught the bug for crop sprayers/dusters about thirty years ago when driving home from work, as I watched an AgWagon dousing a field of crops. Until then, I had no idea that aerial spraying was viable in the home counties (though it might be in, say, Lincolnshire), as the pilot was having to contend with small fields, trees, roads and power lines - but he made it look easy. It's a little different in the huge prairies of Canada, but was well-worth watching. This ranks alongside 'Ice Pilots' and 'Ice Road Truckers', but is even more exciting given the age and maintenance problems of aircraft that haven't been built since 1982 and the one-man band type of business. I like Brennan Jardine's opinion of what makes a good duster pilot - 'Lack of fear, and lack of common sense'!

The TV film 'The Rescue of Flight 771' (1993) is also very good. It's a factual and enthralling story, with lots of close-ups of Cessna dusters. It regularly does the rounds on various television channels. 

Edited By Hellcat on 30/11/2012 17:25:11

Edited By Hellcat on 30/11/2012 17:32:24

Peter Miller30/11/2012 18:29:21
10756 forum posts
1259 photos
10 articles

I saw the trailer but missed it, will get it from now on.

Tony Bennett30/11/2012 18:56:21
5081 forum posts
129 photos

i was going to watch it, but i saw the trailer and the stage managed fight scene and decided against it.

i might have made a mistake and will have a look at the next episode.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CADMA
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us