By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

New Shed

Similar to what BEB did last year, but not.....

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
kevin b26/01/2013 17:51:40
1777 forum posts
140 photos

Hi Olly.

I have had more than a little experience with planning departments and have learnt a few things from dealing with them. Unless you are being stupid or extremely greedy they usually try to be helpful.

Decide what you really want and then up the specifications, ie you want 12ft x 10ft. Draw it out 16ft x 14ft. If they agree the larger size they won't complain if it ends up smaller.

Draw it built up at the lower side. the argument is that it is cheaper to build than excavate, also with less potential to affect local drainage.

As it is a little out of the ordinary type of construction try and get the planning officer to make a site visit (without charging !). They usually have a lot of experience and want to be seen as helpful these days. H(Sh)e may even come up with something that could save you money. That has happened to me recently with my business relocation.

Just remember. It is a shed for storing things in and NOT a workshop, so no power points, insulation etc on the plans. Just 4 walls (maybe a window) a roof and a very secure door. Of course you would prefer a loft alteration, but a very large "shed" is going to be cheaper to build as funds are limited at the moment, Right ? Oh, and hope the planning officer doesn't subscribe to this forum.

Kevinb aka Bob the Builder's mate

Olly P06/02/2013 14:29:06
3215 forum posts
181 photos

Well, Large tree removal was delayed due to snow and motorway closures....

I collected the first materials for the shed though, last night. Some bricks free from freecycle. I will be picking up more tonight/tomorrow, along with some flags. The letter to the council is written, I am simply explaining that it is allowed under permitted development rights and that the request for approval is due to the need to have permission from the terms of the house sale from the council.

Olly.

Olly P07/02/2013 16:57:17
3215 forum posts
181 photos

OK, so a freecycle post is up asking for materials.

Having priced up, at current design of shed I'm looking at nearly 2K, excluding electrics.

I am going to have a re-think, having saved £70 on the windows by being a little imaginative with materials, I may be able to do the same on the roof, and save a bit more.

I doubt that I'll get it much below the 2k mark, but every penny counts!

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator07/02/2013 17:05:18
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Keep beavering away Olly - you'll get there mate. Just imagine what it will feel like when you first sit down at the building board in your new shed!

BEB

Olly P22/02/2013 15:02:44
3215 forum posts
181 photos

Well, Ladders hired for tomorrow, got to collect them on the roof rack at 8am, hopefully roads will be quiet!

Trees will be down by end of tomorrow, landscaping is happening in the week leading up to easter, then work starts in earnest - digging of found pits and floor area.

Once SWMBO decides what she wants to do with the rest of the garden the soil will be re-used with a generous mix of well rotted beefburger infill meat droppings (or manure if you prefere) and Coffee grounds. In the mean time I am still awaiting a decision on the path position, ready for planning of power. The letter to the council will be away tonight.

The next potential big saving is via a family friend who may be able to get some (most) of the carcassing material for free. If that works I am going with the alternative roof which is about £30 more, but will be a lot easier to build and allow a lot more light in too.

Oh, and the floor and interior cladding looks like it might be free too - Freecycle is wonderful! I must make time to call round and see what they have.....

Luther Oswalt25/02/2013 17:51:51
138 forum posts

Way to GO .... We'll be smelling Diesel soon!
Leo

Olly P26/02/2013 15:36:37
3215 forum posts
181 photos

Leo - not for a month or 2 yet I'm afraid - 2 jobs can slow down anyones building!

Well, trees came out, photos will go up at some point, got loads of wood to get rid off, but none of it suitable for building!

Panther27/02/2013 23:53:42
76 forum posts
9 photos

Doesn't matter where you are it seems, there are regulations you never heard of until you want to do something. We have to have a permit and approval to build a shed if it is over 10' x 10'. (ft) I just put a new one up and the wife has filled it with hay and chook food.

Me? I bought 2 x 20' x 8' shipping containers. They were new (had done 1 trip from China) and were 3 months old when I got them. I keep the dune and 4x4 buggies in one of them and the other is used for storage and my workshop. We don't need a permit for them as they are transportable. They can be modified to suit your needs, eg glass sliding doors in the end and windows etc. At around $2500 they are a bargain.

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i424/vinniereno/01462a23.jpg

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i424/vinniereno/112820f2.jpg

Edited By Panther on 28/02/2013 00:06:24

Panther01/03/2013 09:25:00
76 forum posts
9 photos

Edited By Panther on 01/03/2013 09:25:46

Olly P06/03/2013 14:51:15
3215 forum posts
181 photos

Well, have done some internal desing on a free floorplanner website, the reference drawings are here:

shedplan.jpg

shedplan2.jpg

All the machines are approx the correct size, and I have used an image of a bandsaw instead of a scrollsaw, but you get the idea.

The fishtank (near the door) indicates my small compressor, and I need to add more detail.

Luther Oswalt07/03/2013 14:45:53
138 forum posts

Olly,

You are going to have a very nice shop. I hope all goes as you plan!

Leo

Olly P08/03/2013 11:09:57
3215 forum posts
181 photos

Right after some negotiation with SWMBO I have a budget limit figure. Please remember that the shed is actually 2 sheds and only one is 'mine' the other is for storage of various garden parafinalia.

The deal is that if I can build the shed under budget then I can spend the remainder of the funds on stuff to go into the shed.

The current total expendature is under £100, but I haven't got a huge amount - some locks, screws/nails, hinges, the window 'glass' and some bricks have been acquired, and the wiring, gutter supports (not guttering) and rain butt are on a promise, as is some of the wood (maybe...).

I am keeping an eye on the local free-cycle and freegle posts for anything else of use, as well as having some alerts on ebay for some things. I hope to be under budget by a reasonable amount, and so be able to buy the tools I don't yet have....

Anyone within 50 miles of stockport who has spare ply or chipboard in a good thickness, 50mm foam insulation or timber cladding, please let me know!!

Olly P08/03/2013 22:42:47
3215 forum posts
181 photos
Ok, tree shredding tomorrow. Chipped Hawthorn for anyone who wants it from tomorrow. Photos up tomorrow I hope...
Chris Bott - Moderator08/03/2013 23:11:57
6724 forum posts
1392 photos
1 articles

Olly looking at your layout I'm envious of the space, but I'm not sure I'd put the machines in the middle. If a machine is generally used from the front, put it at the edge of the room.

I think I'd prefer to have the centre island as a building area so I could have unrestricted access all around a model, especially if it's a big one that might suffer hangar rash if I had to turn it around too often.

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator09/03/2013 13:57:05
6744 forum posts
191 photos
Yep I agree with Chris....machines around the outside benches & a walkaround bench in the middle......
Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator09/03/2013 14:00:22
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

I have a table on castors that I have against the wall most of the time, but I can drag it out to the middle so I can all round a model. Very handy. For example when gluing on tail planes and yoou want to chaecj square and level against the wings and at "set up" time when you first assemble the model and want to set the throws etc.

BEB

Olly P09/03/2013 18:46:29
3215 forum posts
181 photos

BEB - the central bench will be on locking castors, which I will buil myself.

OK the Garden - first a reminder of what it looked like after the trees came down:

garden

And this afternoon:

garden2

Edited By Olly P on 09/03/2013 18:46:45

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 09/03/2013 22:50:54

Olly P09/03/2013 18:49:53
3215 forum posts
181 photos

OK, there is a rather large bag of chippings to remove, the only tree stump that still has to come out is the one in the back left, but the others are either out or not in the way.

I have also found a timber and building material reclamation yard nearby who are much cheaper than , the suppliers i had priced,,,

Chuck Plains10/03/2013 13:48:10
1096 forum posts
244 photos

Olly, this is a fascinationg thread, (I've read every post). But I'm almost happy to say that my sde is exactly the same size and in the same location as my house. Though I think I've been inspured enough to replace the tool store on my patio with something large enough for a lathe/mill, saw, grinder etc. The biggest prob with that type of tooling is that they require a proper DRY place to survive. So the moisture blocking and insulation are definitely required to be of good quality. First though, I have to lift my flagstones and level out the sag on one side of the patio.

Looking forward to the rest of your project. face 1

Olly P10/03/2013 21:34:24
3215 forum posts
181 photos

Thanks.

Right, I have redone the plans, with the machines on the bench, and the central table reserved for building. I haven't placed the monitor for the computer yet, as I'm not sure where I'm going to put it.

shed floor

and

shed floor2

Remember the fish tank is my small compressor.....

Olly

Edited lots to get photos working

Edited By Olly P on 10/03/2013 21:37:48

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
CADMA
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us