By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

New Shed

Similar to what BEB did last year, but not.....

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
kevin b10/03/2013 22:00:34
1777 forum posts
140 photos

Better make sure you fit a moisture trap in the airline then !

Teeheehee.

Olly P11/03/2013 11:04:18
3215 forum posts
181 photos

Boom Boom!!

Olly P14/03/2013 13:00:20
3215 forum posts
181 photos

Or should that be squelch, squelch?

Picking up 10 flagstones tonight from a fellow free-cycler, thats £30 saved. It also appear that SWMBOs uncle may have spare insulation in the garage, so thats a fair bit saved too.

In other news the CH header tank gave up all pretense of being water tight sometime last night, and the CH system is now drained and offline until the new boiler goes in next week....

just what I wanted to do before a full day at work....

Olly P16/03/2013 16:37:33
3215 forum posts
181 photos

Well, good nes in the post - permission letter from council, the build will begin (at easter, after the landscaping).......

David Gilder16/03/2013 17:27:46
1859 forum posts
673 photos

When's that retaining wall going in again?

I'm off all next week so can spend afternoon backfilling and levelling if you want!

wink

Olly P18/03/2013 13:14:59
3215 forum posts
181 photos

Nah, week too soon Dave!

The new boiler is going in as I type, the retaining wall is going in next week, with the Landscapers doing all the hard work and the shed bas is going down over easter.

I had a lucky email last week, I now have kitchen cabinets to outfit the bit of the kitchen that needed them and the Shed...Oh, and they have some spare, brand new, worktops, which are coming to me also...

I like this doing stuff on the cheap thing!

kevin b18/03/2013 13:30:03
1777 forum posts
140 photos
Posted by Olly P on 18/03/2013 13:14:59
I like this doing stuff on the cheap thing!

So you're becoming a proper aeromodeller then !

kevinb financial care dept

Olly P18/03/2013 14:27:08
3215 forum posts
181 photos

Kevin - Save where you can, and spend when you need to - I ain't scrimping on the structural materials!

Olly P21/03/2013 09:12:08
3215 forum posts
181 photos

Hmm.....Retaining wall delay for 3 days - now not starting until Thursday. He is going to start early and work through Friday, so i can see me doing a lot of shovelling Friday! Hopefully we will be able to mark out and start laying the base Sat, but this may cause a delay. Darn.

Olly P02/04/2013 12:51:03
3215 forum posts
181 photos

Delay was indeed caused - the shed base is currently piled up on the 'spare' bit of the garden. Most of Friday was spent with wrestling tree stumps out of the ground, and 2 full skips of soil have already been removed.

The retaining wall should be going in now, it may be finished off tomorrow. Photos will be up tomorrow with any luck!

The base will be going in and levelled this weekend with any luck, but the structure won't be built til may - after my bonus.

Chris Bott - Moderator02/04/2013 13:41:24
6724 forum posts
1392 photos
1 articles

It's all sounding good Olly.

I have a new shed . Nothing on your scale but I've cleared an area that was overgrown with shrubs which in turn were causing a lot of green to grow on surfaces. The shed is near two retaining walls too but again smaller than yours.

Apologies for all the debris still in shot.

dsc00364.jpg

This is for storage for the time being while my eldest is "between flats".
But you never know what might go in there if she does ever leave home properly..

An issue I'm left with is the water that runs off the roof, that becomes standing puddles around the shed until it's deep enough to runn off down the slope, so some slight remodelling of the slopes and drainage is required, along with some guttering I think.

As you can see here, some infrastructure is going in for future uses.

dsc09750.jpg

Luther Oswalt02/04/2013 15:01:06
138 forum posts

Olly,

You are making progress no matter the pain so to speak! I notice that some sheds are insulated and some are not, so, do you all heat the sheds. I would think you would, tho you guys are a heardy lot!

Leo

Olly P02/04/2013 15:06:10
3215 forum posts
181 photos

I plan to insulate and heat the shed. Looks like I might be able to get some 'roll type' insulation for free, and this will be going into the walls. I am planning on using 10mm BORG sheet for the roof, which is a 4 ply poly carbonate sheet designed for greenhouses. This is apparently very good for insulation and so on, as well as being semi-transparent for any natural light to get through and very difficult to damage without the right tools.

The floor is currently under re-planning with insulation probably going in in the form of 25 or 50mm foam sheet, but this is funding dependant - the external cladding and roof are currently competing for the most expensive element prizes!

Olly P02/04/2013 22:16:06
3215 forum posts
181 photos

Photos then, sorry they appear to be side on!

garden 7

garden 4

garden 5

garden 6

garden 7

Olly

kevin b02/04/2013 22:31:57
1777 forum posts
140 photos

Hi Olly.

If the floor is supended at all it really should have 100mm insulation under it. It may work out cheaper to put netting underneath and use loft insulation between the joists. 100mm kingspan is expensive, but it works. Ask me how I know !

Having sorted out what I need to complete my workshops and garage I now have a problem of what to do with all the gardening and building equipment. Hmm I wonder.............

kevinb shed pondering

Codename-John02/04/2013 22:48:02
1087 forum posts
18 photos

Chris, your consumer unit doesnt appear to have any RCD protection from the photo, which is a big no-no for feeding sockets and anything for use outside etc kulou

Ben B02/04/2013 23:08:18
1421 forum posts
4 photos
Rcd on the main CU feed perhaps?
Chris Bott - Moderator03/04/2013 08:09:31
6724 forum posts
1392 photos
1 articles

Thanks for noticing Codename John, Ben is right though. But it's worth checking here if anyone can answer?

The feed end of the 3 core armoured cable terminates in a metal junction box in the garage. From there I have a 3 core 2.5mm flex, terminating in an RCD plugtop, plugged into a 13A socket in the garage. This 13A socket is on a ring main which comes from the main RCD consumer unit. Is this OK?

So to my mind, everything outdoors is plugged into a 13A socket using that RCD plugtop. It's further protected by the RCD in the CU. In fact, I'm not sure which would trip first?

Sorry Olly, off your shed topic, but it's still about a new shed.

Your latest photos really give scale to your project! Lots going on there.

Olly P03/04/2013 08:30:59
3215 forum posts
181 photos

That should be enough RCD protection Chris!

My current plan (get it) with the power is to come off the 'spare' trip which used to be for the immersion heater. with the new boiler we dont need it, so that will spur out to the armoured in the garden, via an external wall socket, then into the shed. in the shed I will have an RCD and twin trip box, with one being used for lights and sockets and one for 'heavy' machine circuit.

The plan is to have EM stops for each heavy machine, ie lathe, pillar drill, sander, etc and one 'all off' EM button by the door.

The scale....the banking with the concrete fence on it is level with my shoulder - I'm 6 foot tall....

Codename-John03/04/2013 10:33:44
1087 forum posts
18 photos
Your not meant to feed an rcd from another rcd of the same mA rating, like with fuse and mcb ratings etc its called discrimination, your meant to go to the next size up further up the line, so if its all fed from a 13A fused supply your socket circuit in the shed should be a 10A mcb, if the circuit its fed from is already protected in the consumer unit theres no need for the rcd plugtop, it may cause unwanted tripping too.
The metal junction box you mentioned should be earthed too

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
CADMA
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us