By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

New Shed

Similar to what BEB did last year, but not.....

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Greybeard03/04/2013 11:39:54
726 forum posts
6 photos

I used Kingspan to insulate my shed and it works very well. The shed is 10 x 12 ft and a 600 watt radiator maintains the internal temperature at 18C even when the external temp went down to -5C recently, so worth considering. I brought mine from a firm that specilised in reselling Kingspan returned from sites, so a lot cheaper than new, do a websearch for such a supplier.

My power supply is a 13amp extension lead from a rcd socket in the house.

Olly P03/04/2013 12:20:49
3215 forum posts
181 photos

Greybeard - It looks like the roll insulation will be free!

Olly

Erfolg03/04/2013 12:53:57
11659 forum posts
1297 photos

Mice love Kingspan, not being snobs any of the polyurethane type foams, making a cosy home, in all. Nice runs can be excavated with a degree of ease, by these lovable creatures. I would guess expanded polystyrene is much the same.

I have no idea about the glass fibre types and mineral wools, other than they are prone to slumping without careful support.

It all seems very negative, if the creatures cannot be kept out.

Greybeard03/04/2013 13:05:07
726 forum posts
6 photos
Posted by Olly P on 03/04/2013 12:20:49:

Greybeard - It looks like the roll insulation will be free!

Olly

That doesn't make it a good material to use.

Olly P03/04/2013 13:08:38
3215 forum posts
181 photos

I agree, however I also have a budget to try and work within. The roll insulation should prove sufficient if installed correctly, I should have sufficient material available for 100mm thickness of insulation on each wall and the floor, as explained earlier the roof will be self-insulated due to the material I'm planning to use.

Olly

Greybeard03/04/2013 13:35:07
726 forum posts
6 photos

100mm of this type of insulation will not do much, 300mm is the recommended minimum for a house roof as an example. If you do use it you should instal a vapour barrier over it on the warm (inside) side to stop moisture going through it and condencing on the cold shed wall. I can understand your concerns about cost but good standard of insulation is an investment in both comfort as well as financial terms.

Olly P03/04/2013 13:39:20
3215 forum posts
181 photos

Vapour Barrier already sorted - planning to use no matter what insulation I choose.

Will see about insulation reclamation places near me, as this might be the way forward depending on the cost.

Greybeard03/04/2013 15:47:29
726 forum posts
6 photos

I found this link which may give you an idea of what I am writing about.

Olly P04/04/2013 10:18:25
3215 forum posts
181 photos

Right Greybeard - your post got me thinking. from the article you linked too they have in-filled the studding with kingspan, and then used another sheet to complete the wall.

I will look at in-filling and then skinning with either thin OSB or leaving as insulation face. This will depend on the cost!

In filling will be fairly simple, but how much it costs will depend on final sizes - I will be measuring up tonight as the wall should be finished by then!

Olly

Olly P04/04/2013 15:59:07
3215 forum posts
181 photos

OK, retaiining wall as at last night. Should be finished today, and I will then be measuring up exact size and designing sheds to go into it, with an eye on laying the flags over the coming weekend if the weather is anything like decent. Will need to acquire an angle grinder first though....

wall

David Gilder04/04/2013 16:06:50
1859 forum posts
673 photos

Looking good Olly.

Might be able to pop down for a few hours on Sunday afternoon if you need!!

wink

Olly P04/04/2013 16:55:42
3215 forum posts
181 photos

Will let you know Dave! Offer is much appreciated. Need to sort out the tree chippings on t'other side first though.....

WolstonFlyer04/04/2013 16:55:59
2104 forum posts
189 photos
Don't forget to allow a few drainage points along the base of the wall for water to escape or you can get a build up of water pressure /ice that will crack the wall over time.

I would use plastic weep vents to drain any water away but you could just drill 20mm holes in the joints between blocks at the base after the wall is built.
Olly P04/04/2013 16:58:04
3215 forum posts
181 photos

WF - I am paying a 'proper' landscape gardener to do the wall for me, so will have to see if he does that. If not I will have to figure something out, as I plan to have the wall as part of the shed walls!

Olly

WolstonFlyer04/04/2013 17:02:35
2104 forum posts
189 photos
Unless you tank the wall on the soil side and have a damp proof course (dpc) I really would avoid making it part of your shed structure. Concrete blocks suck up water like a sponge and you may end up with a nice damp wall in your shed.
Erfolg04/04/2013 18:18:29
11659 forum posts
1297 photos

I am guessing that the height difference is so slight that the retaining wall will not be pushed with time?

I have seen with higher differences, the use of soil anchors, to stabilise the higher ground.

I do urge care in ensuring that there is no access to the insulation material, via small gaps, internally or externally for small rodents, including Squirrels.

Olly P05/04/2013 10:27:49
3215 forum posts
181 photos

Thanks for the comments guys.

The soil is level with or just below the level of the wall all the way along. The wall is now finished, photo to follow. Having now measured the completed wall, I will be making the shed larger than originally planned as there is a little more space than first envisaged. I need to arrange payment for the Landscape Gardener, but will wait for him to contact me!

the next thing is to 'walk the ground' with SWMBO and some line marking paint to agree an exact outline of where each shed will be. Remember one will be the 'garden stuff' shed and the other is my workshop shed. One this is done (hopefully tonight) I will be laying out and weighting down some heavy duty weed control fabric, to prevent anything coming up while I do some other bits before laying the flags for the base.

Olly

Olly P05/04/2013 16:33:06
3215 forum posts
181 photos

OK photo as of last night. For scale the distance along the back wall, inside the blocks is about 6.5m, the side wall on the left is about 1.5m

wall.jpg

Olly

Concorde Speedbird05/04/2013 16:45:28
2730 forum posts
649 photos

I like sheds a lot. Everything great has come out of a shed at one point or another, so I thoroughly enjoy spending many an hour in our shed building stuff.

Your one looks like a very sophisticated shed, and it is looking excellent. I will enjoy following along.

CS (Concorde Shedmad!)

Chris Bott - Moderator05/04/2013 16:50:26
6724 forum posts
1392 photos
1 articles

You'll have to learn to hold the camera level Olly! I guess this pic is better than the sideways ones earlier wink.

Looking good though . It will be interesting to see if you can use the wall as part of the shed, I contemplated that for a while, but ended up leaving a narrow walking gap between the shed and my retaining wall.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
CADMA
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us