Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Balance charging

A123

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
alan bates27/12/2012 21:29:53
6 forum posts

Hi could some one help and tell me how i balance charge my 2c A123 batteries,there is only one cable a JR discharge plug so i am a little confused?

Many thanks

Martin Harris27/12/2012 23:57:32
9154 forum posts
229 photos

I see 2 possible actions:

a) Add a balance lead to the pack if you are competent.

b) Send the pack back and ask them to supply one fit for purpose!

Allan Bennett28/12/2012 08:46:03
1602 forum posts
44 photos

A123s are more robust, and tolerant of over-voltage, than LiPos; so many people consider they don't need balancing while charging -- especially if they are "only" 2S.

To balance-charge you'll need 3 leads coming from the battery; one each from the + and - terminals, and the third from the junction between the two cells. If the cells are side-by-side, it should be quite easy to add the third one if you're any good at soldering, for all the ends of the cells will be easily accessible.

Then, you use the original 2 leads when powering your model, but you use all three when balance-charging, if you have the right kind of charger. The simplest way to achieve this is to put all three leads into a new balance plug of the appropriate kind to match your charger, then use a matching socket in your model with only the two outer wires (the + and -) connected.

Alternatively, but more work, you add three new leads with their own dedicated balance plug.

John Cole28/12/2012 16:45:43
615 forum posts
24 photos
Posted by Allan Bennett on 28/12/2012 08:46:03:

A123s are more robust, and tolerant of over-voltage, than LiPos; so many people consider they don't need balancing while charging -- especially if they are "only" 2S.

Alan Bates said his were 2C not 2S. I expect they are 3S.

Allan Bennett28/12/2012 19:49:43
1602 forum posts
44 photos

I assumed he meant "2S" because there's no such thing as an A123 that's rated at only 2C ... unless it's really on its last legssmiley

Many people say "2c", for "2-cell", when they really mean "2S". And because he says it's got a JR discharge plug on it, I suspect it's being used as a receiver battery.

Anyway, alan bates, please clarify that point.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
CADMA
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us