Just Engines JEN range

How good are they?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tony H01/01/2013 20:17:40
846 forum posts
242 photos
Hi guys,

I've been looking at different engines recently and I came across just engines range of fairly lightweight JEN Engines does anyone know how good they are? I was looking at the 37 and 46
FlyinBrian01/01/2013 20:23:01
612 forum posts
4 photos

I only have experience of the early JEN 56 which I found to be very tricky to set up.

Codename-John01/01/2013 20:54:07
1087 forum posts
18 photos

Ive got a 47 and its grand, hasnt missed a beat, may be worth paying the extra 15 quid for their running in service ( I did ), if they run it before sending it to you, youd hope any problems would be found there

Turbycat02/01/2013 00:16:14
594 forum posts
55 photos

I've got a Jen 57 that has been used and abused for a while now. Very powerful flat out but was awkward to set up the transistion from idle to mid range. I could never get a sweet spot. Always had a little hesitancy but it wasn't enough to cause me problems. I'm currently considering a Jen 37 as a replacement for my Thunder Tiger GP25 on my little delta.

Andy

Mondeoman02/01/2013 09:15:13
60 forum posts

They are rubbish,

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator02/01/2013 09:19:15
6756 forum posts
197 photos

A very sweeping statement Mondeoman.....care to elaborate...dont know

GrumpyGnome02/01/2013 09:23:02
528 forum posts
145 photos

I have a Jen 56 or 57 - powerful and quiet........... but I also strruggle to get a good transition from idle. My recollection from the posts at the time was that they are quite difficult to get set up correctly at fiorst, but then decent.

I'd have to contract thyat with my experioence of other 'cheap' engines - ASP's of which I have two that have always performed faultlessly.

GG

RC Plane Flyer02/01/2013 09:26:34
712 forum posts
22 photos

They are a good engine once set from new just two minor points to be aware of The bottom end jet more than likely will need a minor tweek to get decent smooth tickover, double check around the carb to engine area eg the pinch bolt for air leaks. I have fitted an o ring under the carb to eliminate this

GrahamC02/01/2013 09:33:08
1240 forum posts
196 photos

My impression from the other club members who have them is that they take a lot of running in, and the £15 running in service is therefore well worth paying for.

I'm not sure that I would buy one. SC's are only a few quid more, and there are thousands of them serving well. ASP's are also very good value and sometimes stocked by Hobbyking in their UK warehouse.

If Irvine 46's could be had they are the way to go. Fantastic engine for the money, but there don't seem to be any in the country at the moment.

John Muir02/01/2013 09:51:55
379 forum posts
1 photos

I have a J'En 56 (57 nowadays) which is getting on a bit and starting to lose some compression, but has been very powerful and reliable. Power levels are similar to my Irvine 53. It is a ringed engine and takes careful running in - you need to follow the instructions that come with the engine and take your time with it.

I also bought a J'En 37 at the same time as the 56 and it was terrible. Ran well when new but rapidly started to deteriorate. Became difficult to tune and eventually lost compression. I fitted a new piston and liner assembly but that went too. I gave up on it and bought an SC36 to replace it. That seems to fine.

Tartan8107/06/2013 22:08:59
60 forum posts

I just bought a jen 57 hoping to put it on my pc-6.I paid the extra money for the running in service..lets hope it goes great and sounds good too..oh and i bought a pitts muffler also they originaly sent me a super quite silencer ,i waited a few weeks and they sent me a brand new pitts muffler for no extra charge...well impressed..lets hope it goes like stink lol

Former Member08/06/2013 08:45:11

[This posting has been removed]

Stevo08/06/2013 16:57:15
2699 forum posts
419 photos

Not had good experiences.. difficult to set up, and not as powerful or reliable. Pensioned it off on ebaY, got an SC 46 and all my problems were solved. I never buy a new engine, all of mine are S/H, I know I take a risk on whet I get , but thoroughly researched (i.e. are spares available!!*) beforehand and I've always done well.

Rather than a JEN I'll go for an SC, or a S/H OS.

* Beware of the OS FS70, spares are VERY thin on the ground...

Hogster08/06/2013 22:21:31
506 forum posts
48 photos

I have had a Jen'57 for about 18mths now . The transition through mid throttle is a bit lumpy but apart from that it has proved very reliable and very powerful. I did add a shim as JEN suggest if you use 10% nitro. I have it installed in my most popular model so it gets plenty of use and I have been very happy with it so far.

Reno Racer09/06/2013 07:12:38
1138 forum posts
168 photos

I have a JEN 47. In comparison with the other resonably priced engines, its the worst i've owned, sadly. I say sadly because i really wanted this little engine to work and support an old fashioned English manufacturing company. A shame really, because their exhausts an other bits are really top notch.

I've used SC, ASP, Magnum and Evolution 2 and 4 strokes. Even though (i think its the same factory, just different lines), the SC and Magnum have not been a patch on the ASP. The ASP engines are inexpensive, easy to run in and set up and super relieble. I've never had any trouble with ASP. Their four strokes are particulry nice.

The JEN however, will not tune. I like to run my engines in then properly set the neddles and then not touch if i can help it (Not a fan of needle fiddlers, who IMHO cause 99% of their problems by constantly fiddling). Run in the JEN with over 5-6 tanks of fuel, as recommended, and it will run and transistion nicely, but then quits abbruptly. If i richen it up, it struggles to transistion but will run all day, neither of which setting do i trust to run in an aeroplane.

I recently took a punt on an evolution 52 2 stroke engine (and latterly thier 10cc petrol). The Evolution (as stated) did not need a run in, it ran nicely, with full responsive transition, lots of power and slightly rich straight from the box. It has ran faultlessly in my WOT4 for 6 months flying, never misses a beat.

When I compare this to my slime covered JEN 47 on its equally slimed up run up bench mount, that i bought before the Evolution and still not happy enough to put it into an airframe, then their is no comparision. The JEN 47 has now been cleaned off and put back in its box on the shelf, not even worth selling.

Just my 2p. And taking money, an ASP is only a few quid more than a JEN (less if you get the ASP from HobbyKing). An evolution is about 15 quid more, but on a par with OS for quality. 

Edited By Reno Racer on 09/06/2013 07:15:49

Former Member09/06/2013 08:48:15

[This posting has been removed]

Mondeoman09/06/2013 09:15:57
60 forum posts

I've had 3 Jen's, (they are actually Vmar engines, remember them !!) one had the front bearing fail after ten minutes on Model Tech' 5% nitro, another one straight out of the box was so tight a Sullivan starter could.not turn it over and I don't mean the normal ABC nip ! , this was replaced, third one ran reasonably well but as previous posts mention the throttling on all of them was very poor.

BAD,BAD,BAD....

Stevo09/06/2013 09:23:31
2699 forum posts
419 photos

As Reno says,

It's a shame as we all like to support a British company, of course JE offer an excellent service to us modellers - I just don't think they should have ventured into engines themselves. I wonder if they will read this thread?

I'm not sure this is a "get what you pay for" scenario - ASP and SC all have their fans (including me) - one of the best 2S I've had was an SC46 - started straight into an idle, after 30 warm up the throttle response was almost instantaneous. never had a duff Saito or Laser though devil

Edited By Stevo on 09/06/2013 09:23:52

Greybeard09/06/2013 10:09:55
726 forum posts
6 photos

I thought all these cheap engines came out of the same Indian factory but may be not. Does anyone know where and by whom they are made?

Reno Racer09/06/2013 10:56:47
1138 forum posts
168 photos

All distributed by Shenzhen Golden-River Industrial Co., Ltd. All

Magnum, ASP and SC engines are exactly equivalent. They all made by the same Chinese factory, SANYE, which is in Shenzhen, China, near Hong Kong.

MAGNUM is a OEM brand, the SANYE factory produced engines as the request by this US company in the name of MAGNUM.

SANYE produce engines in their own name, that is ASP and SC (ASP in everywhere less the US (Magnum branded) and Commonwealth (SC branded).

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!