Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

RCM&E February 2013 issue preview

RCM&E February 2013 issue preview

in the shops 18 Jan!

Terry Walters15/01/2013 15:04:33
1829 forum posts
1068 photos

Is it me or does the subscriber copy of the mag seem a bit later than usual? I tend to get mine about a week before the publication date but we are now down to 3 days away.

The digital (Subs Only) version is live on the site so a quick glance at that has occurred! Should I feel guilty? It does look good.

Can't find the proposed article on setting up twin needle four strokes which I (as a fallen from grace leccy flier) was looking forward to quite a bit. Any idea when it will appear?

Terry No1 Waiting Patiently Dept - French Office

Pete B - Moderator15/01/2013 15:08:59
7675 forum posts
734 photos

Mine arrived yesterday - yaa-boo!!!teeth 2

Pete

Martyn K15/01/2013 15:21:11
5088 forum posts
3681 photos

Mine arrived this morning. I was really looking forward to Pete (Totally Traditional) Lowes review of the 1/4 scale Tiger Moth "Kit", only to find that it was a totally untraditional review on another ARTF amd not a proper "kit" at all.

Give me some ribs to look at please.. Grahams 2 pages of SE5 construction was far more interesting...

Glad to see the Prof is back as well. A bit of science mixed in with some building = a very unscientific heaven.

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 15/01/2013 15:21:50

Terry Walters15/01/2013 15:35:41
1829 forum posts
1068 photos
Posted by Pete B on 15/01/2013 15:08:59:

Mine arrived yesterday - yaa-boo!!!teeth 2

Pete

You haven't got time to read it! Can you drop it in for me overnight and I'll let you have it back when you've finished your DH60 next week?wink

Terry

Nev Haycox15/01/2013 15:48:55
327 forum posts
20 photos

Just put the finishing touches to my Acro Wot foam-e, so now I need something to read but sadly the letter box is emptysad

Nev

Danny Fenton15/01/2013 20:57:51
9725 forum posts
4547 photos

my copy hasnt arrived yet either, which is unusual. had a look at the online copy, looks good thumbs up

cheers

Danny

Adrian Day15/01/2013 23:04:26
351 forum posts
101 photos

neither has my one it came 3 days before the shop date last month
but waited in today (building the pix-e) and still the post box is empty will be like a waiting dog tomorrow .... i hope it comes looking forward to it..

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator15/01/2013 23:19:47
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Mine arrived today - so they are certainly on their way!

BEB

Adrian Day15/01/2013 23:30:20
351 forum posts
101 photos

thanks BEB good to hear be a happy chappy if it come tomorrow

Regards Adrian

Ian Jones16/01/2013 00:00:31
3229 forum posts
1401 photos

Trying not to read mine - going on my hols at the end of the week and want something decent to read during the flight.

Greybeard16/01/2013 08:06:45
726 forum posts
6 photos

I was pleased to see that the digital version was posted promptly for a change; keep that up.

bouncebounce crunch16/01/2013 08:19:42
1739 forum posts
212 photos

Should get a copy on newsagency shelves in May (Australia)

we still have your rabbits, foxes and mosquitos if you want them back.

Terry Walters16/01/2013 09:14:57
1829 forum posts
1068 photos
Posted by bouncebouncecrunch on 16/01/2013 08:19:42:

Should get a copy on newsagency shelves in May (Australia)

we still have your rabbits, foxes and mosquitos if you want them back.

If it helps I saw a nice pic of Miss Australia the other day - you can send her back if you like no problem - glad to help. (If she has a sister Pete B will help out too!)

Terry

Dylan Reynolds LaserCraft Services16/01/2013 09:50:25
1704 forum posts
661 photos

Been expecting my copy all week, still nothing this morning crying, being off work sick is very boring without it

Andy Green16/01/2013 12:50:56
2279 forum posts
67 photos
2 articles

So what it Tim Hoopers day job?

Tim?

Andy

Edited By Andy Green on 16/01/2013 12:51:13

Pete B - Moderator16/01/2013 13:11:48
7675 forum posts
734 photos
Posted by Andy Green on 16/01/2013 12:50:56:

So what is Tim Hoopers day job?

He is being coy, I think - just enough to keep the wolf from the door.........and not interfere with his principal occupationwink 2

Pete

Erfolg16/01/2013 13:45:39
11803 forum posts
1346 photos

Well the first thing I noticed that the Autogyro plan will be published next month, and free. It will be interesting how many will get built. I have a C30 rotor head ready! I am sure this is a winner.

I also thought that the editorial comment was very interesting. With my selfish head on, I tend not to care to much about attracting youngsters. Although I have another Multiplex Fox to purchase for one of my other granddaughters (the elder) and a repair on the existing model (the middle one), with the youngest telling my wife, tell grandad, me to. The excitement of ground braking new aircraft developments may have gone, yet the excitement of flight does continue just as much as with Otto Lilienthal when they experienced the thoughts and excitment of flight.

I doe have an issue with P42 Stall Stuff. Models may fly in a air where when left to their own devices the air appearing to be still. What is omitted from the situation, is that the model in RC is flown relative to the aeromodeller. The model not being allowed to fly along in a static body of air relative to the model. It is accelerated and decelerated, turned etc, in a speed range that modeller thinks it should be travelling, almost irrespective of the wind. Then there is an assumption that the wind is essentially travelling at a constant velocity relative to the ground. We all know about the velocity gradient, from ground level, that the air velocity changes with time and that there is also turbulence in the air etc. The relative speed of a model to the mass of air, is to simple a model, missing out to many important factors. It is a vector issue, with the model being assessed relative to the ground, not the air (which is a component of the vectors).

I am really into this now.P41 Nats scale. The idea that any profit should be used to support UK teams on foreign travel, I find questionable. Until the organisers are able to attract a bigger audience, by enhancing the paying publics and competitors experience, by providing better viewing opportunities etc. No consideration should be given to spending money outside of the competition. Reinvest, to build a better competition experience, that should be more important, than supporting foreign adventures.

As for the other content, I am happy, having read Zoom Zoom and scanning other articles, which I do think have the right sort of personal interests and diversity, to keep me happy.

Edited By Erfolg on 16/01/2013 13:50:20

Concorde Speedbird16/01/2013 22:57:10
2735 forum posts
650 photos

Well my report.

The first thing that caught my eye was THAT plane! Oh yes, CONCORDE!!! Page 14, very very nice, what a lovely model! It looks like some scale concessions have been made, increased sized nacelles for example (those 593's did have tremendous power to weight!), but it is not a problem at all, she is brilliant and looks superb in the air. Well done Tony Murray, I am sure anyone who had something to do with Concorde would be proud, great to see something that I plan to do in the future (but bigger!)!

I also like the way in the description of the plane it is 'our' Concorde, lovely touch of the everlasting effect of the aircraft. Nice one AW!

The Editorial was interesting. I suppose I am like the editor in youth in that I always get excited and look when an aeroplane flies over, and get amazed every time. Also, the old British planes- Vulcan, Harrier, Spits and Hurris and most of all, Concorde (thanks for mentioning her!) and many more- interest and inspire me much more than any modern planes (which still do). I am one of the 'exceptions', a plane flies over I look and stare.

I must admit though, as much as I hate to say it, most youths these days are simply not that interested in aviation (there are exceptions, like moi!). I think it is partially because in the 50's 60's and 70's you had amazing ground breaking aircraft being made that could fly you over the Atlantic in 3 hours, or operate from your back garden and they were publicised, whereas nowadays you get aircraft which look the same but use a tad less fuel every time, and if I asked any young person I know what an F35 Lightning was they'd probably ask if it was a type of USB stick! But I agree in that when people get a bit older, they can and do take an interest, and some get into the hobby. Interesting.

Good article from Danny Fenton as per usual, nice Tiggy review (tad pricey though!) and I like the What goes up articles since I am a budding aircraft engineer (although I claim to be one because of these models!), so thanks to Dave Burton. Good mag! I am looking forwards to Steve Hargreave's article on glow engines, no pressure!

CS (Over obsessed with pointy white supersonic airliners!)

Danny Fenton17/01/2013 09:40:20
9725 forum posts
4547 photos

I think it is great that the likes of Ian Pallister and Graham Kennedy wrote in to the magazine and stated the arguments for better visibilty of the scale models. I thought it was a well put argument and I completely agree with the points raised. The most important point imo is right at the end, "the bottom line is that the competitors are there to compete for national titles and this must be their priority"

I also think that it is important to keep a presence at international level, and have no problem with the subsidising of the British Team, I am pretty certain the competitors still have to dig deeply in the pockets to represent their country. We no longer have a Control Line Scale team due to a lack of interest at International level, which I think is a shame, but perhaps due to a lack of exposure which I have tried to give a little boost. I will do my best to attend a CL event this year and get some flying pics this time embarrassed again to maybe raise the profile.

I think that if the main arena was re designed (I know massive change, nobody likes that!) but that large BMFA marquee could be better utilised if it were placed on the opposite side of the arena to where it is currently, positioning it close to the back of the F4C line. The rear half facing the F4C flightline used to display and static judge F4C and Free flight, the front half facing the arena, used to promote the BMFA. The BMFA section would be able to view the Scale area as a "shop window" and surely would attract more people into the tent, benefitting all. Now I haven't studied a map of the layout so not sure if this is totally feasible, but some means of better utilising what is already available seems sensible to me.

Anyway, if nothing else, Ian/Graham has agreed that as a minimum the models will be closer and more accesible even if still on the grass.

Cheers

Danny

Andy Green17/01/2013 10:13:00
2279 forum posts
67 photos
2 articles

Thanks Pete. I missed that one. Very good Tim.

Andy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!