Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

SAS Wildthing wind speed

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
I_AM_MARKEVANS31/01/2013 10:18:56
117 forum posts

Hi guys,

After flying my 2 Radians (3ch and pro) i think gliders are for me. I love my 3ch Radian in calm days, glides so great!. Although i don't where the pro fits really, doesn't fly as well as the 3ch on calm days and struggles whenever there is a bit of wind.

So i've been thinking what to get next and fancy trying out a SAS Wildthing. I could shove it in my camping rucksack and go out on my R1 somewhere with it here in the midlands (i don't drive a car) or take it down the coast on the weekends in the summer.

But i was wondering what sort of wind speed can they handle? i don't want to be stuck at home on a bright day just because its gusting a bit too much out. I've never slope soared before so thought this would be a good model to start with(plus due to its size to transport). I'm guessing its going to be a lot more responsive than either of my Radians, but i heard they are tough too, so hopefully handle my bad flying until i get used to it! =)

John Muir31/01/2013 10:45:33
370 forum posts
1 photos

If you can launch it, it will fly in it. Brilliant thing the Wild Thing. Last time I took mine out the wind was over forty mph and I couldn't hold on to it when I tried to launch. It kept getting blown out of my hand and disappearing back over the top of the hill. It smacked me in the mouth a couple of times in the passing as well. Still had great fun and the WT was none the worse for it. I was a bit sore. They're as near indestructable as it's possible for a model to be. Get one, you will love it.

John.

P.S. There's a big long thread on this forum somewhere dedicated to the Wild Thing - try a search.

I_AM_MARKEVANS31/01/2013 10:48:58
117 forum posts

The more i read about them the more im getting sold on one.

Just gotta decide now which of my models ill sell off, the wot 4 foam e might have to go, and maybe one of the Radians, but can't decide which one.

Just seen the Fusion 46 too, says its a bit shorter in length than the WT, might fit in the rucksack better =p

John Muir31/01/2013 11:01:38
370 forum posts
1 photos

Mine's a 46. Very handy.

I_AM_MARKEVANS31/01/2013 11:15:14
117 forum posts

Yeah think im gonna go for the wildthing 46, will order one next week =)

Just gotta find somewhere to fly around by me now, i don't know what makes a good slope, i have the Lickey hills close by but just gotta watch out for other clubs flying in that area.

Tim Mackey31/01/2013 11:35:05
20919 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles

You will love it.

Mine has flown in anything from 8mph to 80 ( unballasted ) but of course landing and arriving in 80 mph is a challenge, but once done, its great fun.

Phil May31/01/2013 12:00:19
1520 forum posts
154 photos
Would not be without mine.
Only flown mine up 40 mph.... fantastic
John Muir31/01/2013 16:06:55
370 forum posts
1 photos

Tim, how on earth did you manage to chuck it in an 80 mph wind? I simply couldn't hold onto mine in a 40 mph blow. And landing? I reckon mine would have come down somewhere near my car, which was parked about a mile away round the back of the hill.

John.

Steve Houghton 131/01/2013 16:42:03
1885 forum posts
128 photos

I've flown mine in anything from 8mph - 40mph. Granted in 40mph you have to push a lot of down elevator to get it out there, but what a blast they are. Definitely go for the 46".

Steve

A470Soaring.blogspot.com

Mike Etheridge 131/01/2013 19:29:46
1509 forum posts
408 photos

I built my Wildthing 60 about 3 years ago. I have heard that the smaller model is best but have been pleased with the bigger version and think it might be better for a beginner to slope soaring?

There is a video of my model on its maiden flight at Detling in Kent on this Website. The video was made by club member Peter Bruce with a camera attached to his Wildthing 60. Look under 'Flair Heron makeover'. If you look on the 'Goodwind' Website you may find the video of 3 or so Wildthings being flown to a local pub also at Detling.

From the construction point of view if you are good at wrapping Christmas presents and can handle Sellotape then the Wildthing construction should not be a problem. i have put extra lead on the nose of mine to make it more stable. However it's been stuck in the loft now for over two years.

MJE

Wildthing 60

Paul Adams31/01/2013 20:56:38
217 forum posts
22 photos

For really strong winds you need an original Thing (blue foam veneered wings, plywood fuselage). With its extra weight it penetrates brilliantly and very smooth. Marginal winds it can be a long walk to the bottom of the hill to collect.

TheFlyingCrust31/01/2013 23:34:35
611 forum posts
67 photos

Just click "Slope Soaring combat down the Pub" to see a slope full of the blighters. They're the ideal model for combat due to their indestructability. Wouldn't be without mine.

Ian

Tim Mackey01/02/2013 09:47:31
20919 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles

A few of us have flown in 80MPH at the orme over the past few years - some of the lads added ballast, but of course, they broke their models as they "landed" as they invariably get whipped along the ground head over heels style across the car park and down the road!

Launching is not easy - take a really firm grip ( no gloves ) on the nose area and let the strong wind weathercock the model nose in - dont attempt to hold the model underneath on the COG as you simply wont get enough grip. Throw it like you hate it, and keep pushing out into the cleaner lift.

Landing? Well sort of aim for the ground and close your eyes LOL - ensure you have plenty of CW tape with you surprise

Mike Etheridge 101/02/2013 10:53:40
1509 forum posts
408 photos

Well spotted Rentman, and have you watched the video 'Hitler's foamie' on the 'Goodwind ' site plus Peter Bruce's 'Rescue of Swampy' on 'You Tube' plus the BPMFC site?---very funny!

MJE

I_AM_MARKEVANS01/02/2013 12:12:23
117 forum posts

So, i just got off the phone from ordering my WT 46, what a lovely gentleman!

Could have chatted to him all day!

Excited for it to arrive now and then to find a suitable spot to fly, first slope soarer so i have a lot to learn!

Edited By IAMMARKEVANS on 01/02/2013 12:15:59

Steve Houghton 101/02/2013 15:11:57
1885 forum posts
128 photos

I only took up slope about 18 months ago after flying powered and have hardly flown anything powered since. You'll soon get the hang of it and like the rest of slopers, you'll become addicted, but the WT is a great plane to start with. It's stable, easy to build, easy to fly, will fly in a huge wind range, is very aerobatic and will take just about any punishment you care to give it, especially on landings.

Enjoy, and let us know how you get on.

Peewhit01/02/2013 19:15:54
795 forum posts
264 photos

The Wild Thing is a great first model and will take virtually any abuse that you can throw at it.

One little tip.

The instructions say to cover each wing with CW tape before you join them.

If you join the wing halves first and them cover the whole wing with CW tape, the joint is much much stronger.

Beware that tthis slope soaring thing is highly addictive, and can be expensive!

After four years of it, I only have nine gliders including four mouldies.

TheFlyingCrust01/02/2013 21:09:10
611 forum posts
67 photos

As Peewhit did, I joined mines wing first before covering. Also I didn't cut the mounts off the servo's, just slotted the hole to take them. Mount the servos with the output shaft to the rear IYSWIM. They're a bit mean with the control rods and the other way they're not long enough! Keep the CofG as plan at first but you might need a little extra in the nose just to tame it down a bit. Even so its easy to fly.

Enjoy!

Ian

John Privett02/02/2013 00:46:40
5944 forum posts
236 photos

A bit(!) short of 80mph, but this should give you a bit of an idea of what the WT will handle.

They also bounce quite well, as the dodgy (left) handlaunch at about 2:55 demonstrates! I always thought a touch-and-go was done on landing, not on launching. teeth 2
cymaz02/02/2013 07:01:37
8586 forum posts
1161 photos

You will not regret it...........soooooooo much funsmile p

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Addlestone Models
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us