By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

New Ripmax Jive

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
LYKA23/03/2013 09:36:41
89 forum posts

Very keen to buy the new Ripmax Jive, anyone out there got around to flying one yet???Very interested to find out what they are like

ken anderson.23/03/2013 10:06:33
8481 forum posts
773 photos

hello lyka....there's a review of the jive in next months mag.....

ken anderson......jive dept.

weasel24/03/2013 18:33:12
381 forum posts
6 photos

Hiya Lyka, i have just assembled my ripmax jive with western 36 t1r engine havnt had time to fly yet going to try flying against the cougar which flys extremely well but will keep you posted on the progress. Regards Weasel NE66

img-20130324-wa0001.jpg

img-20130324-wa0000.jpg

weasel29/03/2013 21:53:41
381 forum posts
6 photos

Going to test fly the Jive tomorrow if weather ok. will give full report on the event...

Weaz with the Jive NE66 ..... !!!!!

LYKA30/03/2013 09:34:57
89 forum posts

I am waiting on the weather ,mine all ready for the maiden flight , how did you get on with the CG .I had to add 80 grams of lead up front to get the CG right. Hope all goes well on your maiden flight ,I will be interested to know how she flys

simon burch30/03/2013 10:44:01
754 forum posts
19 photos

Been looking to get one of these with the Irvine 36. What servos did you go for?

LYKA30/03/2013 12:25:36
89 forum posts

I went for 4 Futaba 148 for the ailerons, elevator and Rudder but you need a New power XL 16 HM servo for the small recess hole in the Jive 's fuse

weasel30/03/2013 19:28:36
381 forum posts
6 photos

Hello Lyka,

I never got to fly the Jive today had other commitments on. I will maiden her tomorrow.

The C/G is 10mm rear of the suggested settings. I don't think it will make alot of difference on this type of plane. As like the Cougar is 115mm up to 135mm my Cougar is also rearward C/G.

I will find out if the C/G is ok tomorrow.

Regards Weasel NE66

1364671231125.jpg

weasel31/03/2013 20:46:18
381 forum posts
6 photos

Hiya Lyka,

I did the test flight this afternoon. It took off and flew pretty well but due to the cold day i only had about 4 mins flight as the claws were blue. The C/G seemed fine and i had the side force generators fitted whilst turning. The plane was buffering around maybe due to the brisk wind with these on?

Will give her full wring out when the weather is warmer. Picture is of grandson Craig holding the Jive after flight.

Regards Weaz

img-20130331-wa0000.jpg

Chris Jenkins01/04/2013 11:58:34
9 forum posts
51 photos
Hi All
I have been flying my jive since new years day and would like to share a few ideas.
I had the CG problem every one else is commenting on and I also took out the square RX batt and sliped a flat one down the side of the tank.
I bought my plane with the Irvine engine deal. Fantastic deal and a good engine also.
The only gripe with the model I had was with orientation and have since owning the Jive covered it in floresent sticky plastic.
I will add some pics when I get on my PC.
Chris Jenkins01/04/2013 18:09:31
9 forum posts
51 photos

Hi All

I have Uploaded some photos of my Florescent Jive. Let me know what you think..

jive 003.jpg

jive 006.jpg

All the colours used were sign writers sticky back plastic bought from Ebay, this works out cheap and I personally find because it is very thick, I find it easier to cut and apply.

Those with sharp eyes will notice a domed nut on the prop, I'm going to remove this and go back to the original Irvine nut next time out. I don't even think I will notice the difference.

As Lyka experienced, I also stuck well over 100g of lead to my fire wall before moving the battery and adding a domed nut. This still left a good 60g or 80g of lead on my fire wall. I had sticky back wheel balance weights as lead and I cut one off (10g) every flight until they were all gone. If you ask me it made no noticeable difference to my flying at all.

As said, I am using the Irvine 36 that came with the airframe and engine deal. This would appear to be a helicopter engine with an aero head and the black jet stream carb. I belive this because the crank shaft is short for bolting on props so Irvine have cleverly made a special alloy prop nut that sits down inside the prop.

What ever this engine is, It starts well, has loads of power for my flying and most importantly cost an extra £34.00 (Quote Kings lynn models) on top the Airframe only price.

I'm using an APC 11X4 prop and I am very pleased with the results. It would be nice to here from others to here what props they are running with this engine.

I am not by any means good at flying, but this little plane has given me the confidence to stall turn again, something I last did 13 years ago. I am finding my self flying slower and closer, it's low wing loading allowing me to try things that I would not normally attempt.

Defiantly my favourite model at present.

Devcon102/04/2013 21:20:37
1383 forum posts
487 photos

Hi Chris,

The Jive looks great, I bet you've no problem telling which way up it is now on those low inverted passes....

With those tiplets it looks a bit like an X wing fighter ready to attack the Death Star.

Regards

SBTG

Vinmonkey02/04/2013 22:24:31
14 forum posts
1 photos

I'm still torn between a cougar and a jive, have a thunder tiger 42 to pull it along, so keen to hear about the jive

LYKA03/04/2013 15:43:45
89 forum posts

Weather permitting I hope to do the maiden flight on my Jive on Sunday. watch this space!!!!!!

Chris Jenkins05/04/2013 13:49:50
9 forum posts
51 photos

Hi All

I have just measured the C of G with my Jive and it is currently flying at 125MM from the leading edge.

I have used a flat Rx battery, next to the fuel tank, to gain this.

Devcon105/04/2013 14:32:27
1383 forum posts
487 photos

Hi Chris,

How does yours fly inverted with that COG?

Did you manage to defeat the death star this week.

Regards

SBTG

weasel05/04/2013 20:49:59
381 forum posts
6 photos

Hello S.B.G.
My Jive is also set at 125mm/130mm rear of the sugested mark of 1100mm like chris J's Jive. and when flying inverted it needs almost no foward stick movment so i would say it's about spot on there.. also fitted my batterys next to the fuel tank as in the third picture down.. 6v AAA 5 cell

Weaz wink 2

LYKA08/04/2013 10:07:08
89 forum posts

Did my maiden flight on the the Jive Sunday ,decided to take the 80g of lead out of the nose which put the C of G at 120mm instead of the recommended 110mm and it flew fine , looks strange in the air but fly's OK .The windy conditions did not seem to affect it and am happy with the Jive , nice little kit and good value with the irvine 36 included in the price. .

Boos Boy24/05/2013 23:24:41
13 forum posts

Any more reviews for the Jive?

I was seon getting the Cougar with the electric set-up, but want to get into ic again really. What is it like compared to the Cougar?

What is the knife edge really like?

Can the colour be changed, looks a bit dull, why so dull

What run time do people get please on a tank of fuel?

I usually use Contest 10 fuel. I like how Ripmax suggest their own servos, hope it flies as well as they say. I was considering a seggull funfly but this type of funfly may be more my thing.

Will it have unliited vertical with the irvine 36 and 11x4 prop?

Thank you.

Boos Boy24/05/2013 23:27:12
13 forum posts

Be good good to know the RX battery people use too to get that CofG right. I'm using a Spektrum DX8 radio, have a ar8000 rx, might be a bit big, any other suggestions?

I cannot seem to find anything much on this plane when searching, is that a worry?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
CML
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us