Forum sponsored by CML

Matt finish for solarfilm

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
GrahamWh15/04/2013 21:36:44
356 forum posts
53 photos

Hello All,

I like using solarfilm, am used to it and find it good value, but want to be able to apply a matt finish to it for my next project. Is there anything I can brush/spray on to give a one coat matt finish?

Thanks.

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator16/04/2013 00:39:05
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Some folks have given films a light going over with a bit of fine wirewool to remove the shine. Worth experimenting with on a test piece first to just the degree of "mattness" you want.

BEB

GrahamC16/04/2013 07:26:02
1233 forum posts
196 photos

Humbrol enamel?

I've not tried it, but seem to remember reading somewhere that this was Tony Nijhuis' preferred method for his warbird prototypes. Silver solarfilm keyed with wire wool and then painted.

I think it may be mentioned in some of his build articles which you can download at his website. Try starting with the 62 inch Spitfire, as that's probably where I read it!

Another alternative would be to use Solatex, which personally I would consider a vastly superior product. It has a matt finish naturally

David Davis16/04/2013 07:39:32
3432 forum posts
611 photos

Wasn't there a Solarfilm product marketed a few years ago which you painted over Solarfilm to turn it matt? I think it was intended to provide a key for painting over the top of Solarfilm. Primol?

Bucksboy16/04/2013 07:45:38
559 forum posts
106 photos
Prymol works well, I use a kitchen scoured instead of wire wool, then Prymol over it. It's got the consistency of water so it's easy to apply. Humbrol paints go on easily after that.
Peter Miller16/04/2013 08:51:26
10258 forum posts
1226 photos
10 articles

If you want camouflage colours Solarfilm actually do Matt finish film in various colours including white. Look at their website. I used it on my Magister.

The yellow was glossy.Sitting in the sun

edwards flyboy16/04/2013 09:57:26
60 forum posts
29 photos

Solarfilm do make a limited range of Polyester film , Ilove the stuff and use it on vintage models.Agood source of supply is Balsa Cabin,they have all the colours available in stock

GrahamWh16/04/2013 10:58:05
356 forum posts
53 photos

Thnak you chaps, plenty of ideas to be getting on with there. Much appreciated.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us