Forum sponsored by CML

Bristol Blenheim Mk1V

Long term design project

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Lindsay Todd10/05/2016 10:40:14
1671 forum posts
1665 photos

Crikey nearly 3 years since I started this project. Anyway can now report she stands on her wheels properly with oleo's fitted to retracts having finally got round to drilling and tapping fixing points to the main retract strut. The wheels retract nicely into the nacelles and all looks pretty good. I need to do a little further reinforcement with some epoxy and micro balloons and a little glass cloth just to satisfy myself really that everything is as solid as it needs to be and I can then move onto making the cowls and getting them fitted. The end is now in sight. Linds

Glasshopper10/05/2016 10:50:28
102 forum posts

Have you seen the Canadian version?

http://www.nms.ac.uk/national-museum-of-flight/discover-the-museum/our-aircraft/military-aircraft/bristol-bolingbroke/

Lindsay Todd10/05/2016 12:46:32
1671 forum posts
1665 photos

Ahh Glasshopper, yes a very kind chap sent me a dvd loaded with images taken of the Bolingbroke in Canada, including lots of scale details and even using a measuring rule to help me discover how many errors I had made (too many so I gave up counting). This version will be in African RAF livery due to family connections as my father had flown, albeit as ballast rather than active crew. His diary recalls taking then so they could go swimming in the sea down the coast from where they were based.

Lindsay Todd01/11/2016 13:36:05
1671 forum posts
1665 photos

Thought I would bump this blog a bit as may come as a surprise but the design has been back on the bench over the weekend getting the removable belly pan glassed that will give access to the inner fuselage and servo area, one of those fiddly jobs that just needed doing so some progress is being made when space and time allows. I hope to get the cowls completed over the next couple of months so come spring she should be ready for the maiden at last. Linds

cymaz01/11/2016 16:59:22
7902 forum posts
1032 photos

3 years!! Cor blimey surpriseIt's been 6 months since your last update....the tea's gone cold and the biscuits are stale, still , look forward to the continuation....kettle is on.

Lindsay Todd02/11/2016 10:44:20
1671 forum posts
1665 photos

I Know, I know I have officially used up every excuse possible so need to just get on with it, now winter is here I hope to have more time free, exterior house restoration projects will be on hold for a little while now at least during the week now we have the dark nights (my wife might decided we can get on with the internal décor though). In truth too many projects / work and not enough time results in getting nothing finished. Linds

Lindsay Todd27/12/2016 18:21:51
1671 forum posts
1665 photos

Well finally made a start on the cowlings. I had the formers cut some time back by Slec and use the technigue as per my Lockheed Vega design a couple of years ago. So I start with two ply rings with slots cut for 6mm square balsa around the perimeter, one cut out being double width wich will be the joint for a 1mm ply wrap later.

s3820010.jpg

The inner ring has a detail with holes which aligns with the nacelles so the cowls can be screw fixed in place.

Next job is to cut a number of 6mm square balsa straights at 125mm long. these need to be done with care to ensure all assembles squarely as possible.

s3820013.jpg

Next to make a double thickness I just glued two strips together but could just as easily have been a wider strip but was easier to cut all to the same size I thought.

s3820014.jpg

Next job is to locate and glued the strips onto the inner ring ensure all sit flush and as square as possible and then glue in place with thin cyno

s3820016.jpg

When dry flip over locate the ends into the front ring again check all flush and square and again glued with thin cyno

s3820017.jpg

Next job is obviously to make a second unit to the same stage then I can measure and cut the strip of ply to make the wrap to go around the perimeter. More soon I hope now its back on the bench. Linds

Lindsay Todd28/12/2016 17:35:05
1671 forum posts
1665 photos

Bit more done this afternoon starting by measuring the circumference and cutting strips of 0.5mm ply to wrap around the cowl frames. Started by gluing half way across the double strip and leaving to dry before gluing and wrapping the remainder and clamp with scrap of ply across the joint. I used aliphatic to glue the ply in place.

s3830002.jpg

s3830009.jpg

With the frames wrapped and put to one side I turned my attention to the front of the cowls which are made up from laminations of 6mm soft balsa. I had these laser cut so it was just a case of gluing all the bits together with aliphatic glue (this should help later when I come to sand to shape).

s3830005.jpg

When dry the front section can be glued onto the front face of the cowl frame.

s3830007.jpg

Time to let these dry completely then its time to carve and sand to a curve shape. he narrow top ring will hopefully assist get the curve about right. more soon. Linds

Edited By Lindsay Todd on 28/12/2016 17:38:14

Lindsay Todd30/12/2016 17:57:39
1671 forum posts
1665 photos

Well a bit more work done today starting with getting the cowl mountings sorted, this was quite straight forward as I had given this some thought up front and lugs with holes were designed into the rear ring of the cowls that would align with the front formers of the nacelles but it was still satisfying to see all align and fix in place with self tapping screws just visible inside. These are sited such that I should be able to access around the motors and the intended dummy engines.

s3840001.jpg

The alignment was pretty good to the nacelle

s3840003.jpg

With both cowls fitted she certainly has a presence now on the bench

s3840005.jpg s3840007.jpg

Next job is to carve and sand the front of the cowls to the radius profile and then take a look at the re vent fins and exhausts. I also managed to finish and pull a mould for the rear turret shown here still on the mould made from blue foam, I use the 'Tim Hooper' technique of pushing the mould through a sheet of heated acetate and seems to work surprisingly well. I use fairy liquid as the release agent just sponged over the plug and left to dry for a bit before making the moulding.

s3840006.jpg

Plenty more to do but there is some light at the end of the tunnel I feel at last. More soon. Linds

Danny Fenton30/12/2016 18:15:40
8748 forum posts
3620 photos
That looks lovely Linds
Martian01/01/2017 13:04:38
1965 forum posts
934 photos

Wow I have just spent the last two days when ever the opportunity has arisen to read this build blog thoroughly and it has been such a pleasure and so informative if a little gut wrenching to realize my skills just do not compare thank you for sharing Linds and I intend to follow to completion

Lindsay Todd09/01/2017 13:24:00
1671 forum posts
1665 photos

Thanks for the encouragement guys, not much to report from the weekends tasks which largely related to carving and sanding the front of the cowls to shape. Still a bit more sanding to do, taking my time to ensure the shape is correct and not have to pile on filler due to errors, once done I'll get some glass cloth down on the outside to stabilise the shape and give them some hanger rash protection before I start cutting away at the insides with a dremel sander to reduce the front cowl wall thickness and give space for dummy radial engines to be fitted.

Lindsay Todd03/02/2017 22:30:02
1671 forum posts
1665 photos

A bit more progress, cowl fronts have now been sanded to the round profile and given a coat of glass cloth with acrylic finishing resin, touch of filler here and there, sand and a coat of primer. This needs sanding fill and final coat of primer but actually pretty close even on first coating which was pleasing, Still need to grind out the insides a little so that's probably the next job on the cowls before final coat I will fuel proof the insides with epoxy laminating resin.s3850003.jpg

The wings have now had first prime coat sanded back and a little more filler added here and there and then the final prime coat put down so are now pretty much ready for marking out panel lines and detailing

s3850001.jpg

Still need to work out the fixings for the hatches but that should not be too difficult and at least every thing fits as it should. Also made a start on a bit of detailing on the rudder with the surface for rib stitching, looks like rivets at the moment but once the solartex strips go down over the top the effect seems to work quite well.

s3850005.jpg

More soon. Linds

john stones 103/02/2017 22:49:47
9975 forum posts
1472 photos

Beautiful yes

Danny Fenton04/02/2017 00:29:06
8748 forum posts
3620 photos

Lovely Linds, really looking forward to seeing this one

Cheers

Danny

richard armstrong 331/03/2017 12:47:16
1 forum posts

Hi lindsey

i been looking for a set of plans for the blenheim bomber would you consider either donating a set or could i purchase a set from you?

pm please

cymaz31/03/2017 17:32:21
7902 forum posts
1032 photos

Looking superb yes

Lindsay Todd19/08/2018 22:58:18
1671 forum posts
1665 photos

Yikes over a year since an update but it still lives and the first of the two DLE20 engines has now been bolted in place. I plan to figure all the throttle linkages and tank positions on the first wing and then repeat for the second in mirror image so to speak. Its amazing even with a reasonably larger model how space starts to disappear once critical components start to go in. I will gets some more photo's updated before to long. I think this is my longest ever project now and its been difficult to sustain progress trying to fit it around other things that have had to take priority but I have made some slow progress in recent weeks at least.

Danny Fenton20/08/2018 07:30:16
8748 forum posts
3620 photos
Excellent news. I am glad you are back on this Linds
Cheers
Danny
Lindsay Todd24/10/2018 01:11:53
1671 forum posts
1665 photos

Well evidence of some work at last, actually more complex than it might look to create the fins around the edge of the cowls. As I am relying on a clearance to aid cooling the plates need to be set at an angle of about 3 degrees. Fortunately this translated into a 3mm spacer but the down side was that each cowl required 28 trapezoidal plates to be glued in place around the circumference, each one being moistened and clamped to create a slight curve. then marked out and glued in two rows, the second row overlapping the first to create the desired effect.

img_4160.jpgThe plates are made from 0.5 ply and equi-spaced around the cowl with a 7mm overhang and glued at the front edge with pva and taped till dry.

img_4156.jpg

Spacers of 3mm were used to set the angle whilst the glue dried

img_4159.jpg

Lets just say it took longer than planned, the second row of plates now goes on and overlaps the first so its a repeat of the process and there were two cowls to do. I'll photo when dry and then give them a coat of epoxy laminating resin on the outside and run a bead of epoxy and micro balloons into the inside gap to fix there position. So glad this job is nearly out of the way, just some blisters and panel details to follow.

Linds

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
Airtek Hobbies
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Slec
CML
Wings & Wheels 2018
Motion RC
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us