Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Flying with others

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
GrahamC10/05/2013 12:29:39
1240 forum posts
196 photos

I used to fly alone on the beach... I'm now a member of a great club, and much prefer the fun of the club. [Most] Human beings are social animals! I have to say that I'm quite disappointed if I get to the field and I'm the only one there!

On good flying day, its great because people genuinely help one another out.

I'm glad to be able to fly with my son. It's such a priviledge to be able to go off and spend the day together flying. He is in his first year of 'A' levels - [and vising a certain university in Cambridgeshire tomorrow as he plans his applications]

I would observe that for all the talk of dumbing down - 'A' levels are hard work and increasingly we have to cut and run on a Saturday becasue we have to get back so that he can do homework. They seem more demanding than when I was at 6th form. The plus side is that he genuinely enjoys flying and its good to get a break from the studying from time to time!

Concorde Speedbird10/05/2013 16:57:08
2730 forum posts
649 photos

Great response, and an interesting one so thank you. It appears that most of us would fly anyway, which perhaps shows that the 'flight' effect has gripped us all! I think that is great, shows that these balsa/foam contraptions are a little bit special in their own way.

BEB, thanks for explaining that parallel. One thing's for sure, Dad is a much better flyer than I am! I suppose I'll probably end up in a similar situation to that, so I don't think it will be too bad. And yes Of Mice and Men is boring, and JB Priestley's An Inspector Calls is also boring!

Avtur, sounds like you had a great career, thanks for the advice also. The Wright Stuff, you have a PM heading your way!

Thanks,

CS

Josip Vrandecic -Mes10/05/2013 19:59:55
2993 forum posts
260 photos

Dear CSB , Your time comes !.....Your father is a smart and experience person..You are proof of it...so , Your father will not be lonely , although hi will sometimes fly solo...cool..All the best

Rgds

Joe

Tim Hooper10/05/2013 21:22:03
2876 forum posts
2380 photos

Good thread CS!

I'm a pretty sociable bloke, so I enjoy the banter at the club nearly as much as the actual flying. In fact, if there's nobody else at the field when I arrive, then I'm quite likely to wander off home again (it's only 5 minutes drive so no biggie).

Concur on the Steinbeck. Not sure about the Priestley though; I haven't read the book, but I have seen the play, which was brilliantly staged and held my attention for the duration.

tim

Concorde Speedbird10/05/2013 23:03:10
2730 forum posts
649 photos

I have also seen the play itself, and I really enjoyed it. But after reading the script a million times it gets a bit dull! But the play itself is good.

Thanks Josip, your posts always make me smile!

CS

riverlandgirl.11/05/2013 08:08:16
462 forum posts
281 photos

Hi CS. I prefer to fly alone. I like doing my own thing, with out feeling pressured to follow the crowd. Having said that, when I first started slope soaring, back in 2000, there was a real craze going on , and there would often be 6 or 7 planes air borne on one of our very small slopes. I rather enjoyed this and met a lot of good folks. It was quite common, if you wernt flying, to have a transmitter shoved in your hands if some ones cell phone rang. You could normally figure out what plane you were flying in time! I have belonged to two clubs, one a good experience, one not.

Turbycat11/05/2013 08:39:34
594 forum posts
55 photos

Hi CS, I tend to do more of my flying alone than with other people. Mainly because of the shift pattern i work. I tend to be off a lot during the week. So if it's a nice day I drop my youngest at school and then head off to the field about 5 mins away.

I do belong to a club but our field is so under-used it's unbelievable. We can fly from sunrise to sunset 7 days a week. The only restriction is Saturday mornings during the shooting season. There are different groups of people who turn up on differing days! You have a couple who fly Tuesdays, the Wednesday crowd, the Thursday clan and the Weekend boys! I tend to be there on any day off I get.

I like flying alone and with others. I find I fly more when on my own and can get through more fuel that I expect. When with a group I fly a lot less and chat a lot more.

Andy

Gordon Tarling13/05/2013 12:52:52
236 forum posts
4 photos

CS - I often used to fly on my own when I worked shifts - it just so happened that my free time didn't often coincide with that of others. However, safety must be taken seriously and now I rarely fly on my own. If you're alone at the field and have an accident, think about how you'd cope.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Cambridge Gliding Club
CADMA
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us