By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Learn to Make Models that Fly

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Ramsay-Fraser13/05/2013 22:59:33
210 forum posts

When I was into aeromodeling last time round , I bought a book called 'Aircraft Workshop' 'Learn to make models that fly' by Kevin Shacklock.

Stating off with a small chuck glider, the book took the scratch builder through various models including a rubber powered Piper Cub, i.c. engined Spirit of St Louis all the way to a 88" span Spitfire with flaps & retracts.

In all the modeling websites I've visited, I've never seen any mention of either the book of the models for which plans are provided. Maybe I have the only copy?

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has:- 1) read the book or 2) Built any of the planes featured. If the latter, how did they go. I ask because there is a rather nice looking 67" span DH 71 which I wouldn't mind trying some time in the future and any feedback would be much appreciated.

Tom Wright 214/05/2013 00:41:19
3908 forum posts
297 photos

Michael.

Is this the book you have ?

Tom.

Michael Ramsay-Fraser14/05/2013 09:19:09
210 forum posts

Yep, that's the one. Some really nice plans in it. They have to be scaled up but include drawings for all the parts and are very well detailed.

Brian Lambert14/05/2013 10:40:58
335 forum posts
6 photos

We have been here before ...Kelvin Shacklock's book **LINK**

Michael Ramsay-Fraser14/05/2013 12:01:20
210 forum posts

Mmmm. I did a search before posting and nothing came up.

I was more interested in finding out if anyone had attempted any of the scale models and what the results were.

The Micro T model that others have built seems to work well but I'm more interested in sacle and potentially converting to electric.

Brian Lambert14/05/2013 13:10:20
335 forum posts
6 photos

Hi Michael, yes it must be one of the worst search engines on the web, it only searches the thread title, so if you don't know that you get nothing! Good luck with your quest.

Michael Ramsay-Fraser14/05/2013 14:28:56
210 forum posts
Posted by Brian Lambert on 14/05/2013 13:10:20:

Hi Michael, yes it must be one of the worst search engines on the web,

That must be why most of my searches bring up nothing.

Brian Lambert14/05/2013 16:58:20
335 forum posts
6 photos

Hi Michael, yes it must be one of the worst search engines on the web, it only searches the thread title, so if you don't know that you get nothing! Good luck with your quest.

Peter Miller14/05/2013 18:23:41
9911 forum posts
1160 photos
10 articles

I read about this book on this forum and found that Amazon have it for about a tenner.

Very good indeed. An impressive book.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Motion RC
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
CML
Revoc
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us