Forum sponsored by CML

Two stroke oil

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Spice Cat20/05/2013 22:16:56
1304 forum posts
129 photos

Good evening everyone,

I have just purchased a Turnigy 26cc petrol engine for my new project and having paid Halfords a visit for two stroke oil, I came away with the cheaper version for garden petrol power tools and other such similar appliances.

The other stuff, for moped and motorcycles, was twice the price and seemed a bit high end for an engine that seems to resemble a strimmer engine.

Is the cheaper stuff ok, what do you use and how best to mix a 30 to 1 mixture?

As ever; your thoughts please.

Regards

Martin McIntosh20/05/2013 22:35:36
3332 forum posts
1178 photos

The cheap stuff is ideal for running in the motor for an hour or two then you must change to the synthetic or it will wear out very quickly.

Dwain Dibley.21/05/2013 00:38:28
1408 forum posts
1405 photos

I use Bel-Ray H1R in my Zenoahs.

Expensive, but my motto is buy the best you can afford. If you have just invested a wedge into a Gas engine, and don't want to waste it, then it needs looking after.

D.D.

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 21/05/2013 00:40:04

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator21/05/2013 12:50:01
6756 forum posts
197 photos

You can use this calculator SC....or plenty of mixing bottles around like this one.

Bottom line regarding the oil is that you won't be using very much....it has a hard job to do & is pretty essential....so why risk using cheap stuff. Do take some care mixing it to0....30:1 is about 3% oil which is not a lot compared with the 18% in glow fuel. Add to that the fact that petrol engines use less than half the fuel of a glow motor & you realise just how little oil is actually reaching the moving parts...smile o

Fully synthetic 2 stroke oil is the way ahead in my view.....

Spice Cat21/05/2013 14:12:51
1304 forum posts
129 photos

Superb stuff. As of now I relied upon three litres of fuel to 100ml of oil. Should be 30:1.

If not the engine is about to blow up.dont know

Just off to Ebay to buy one of those mixing bottles.

Regards

Mark a21/05/2013 15:20:41
321 forum posts
3 photos

I use fully synthetic oil in my JC 28 motor in my Sbach i buy it from machine mart and mix it 40:1 and the engine runs as sweat as a nut.

Martin McIntosh21/05/2013 15:21:38
3332 forum posts
1178 photos

Trouble is that assuming your motor needs a running in period you can run it on synthetic until you are blue in the face and nothing much will happen, which is why I said to use mineral oil (the cheap stuff) for this and this only.

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator21/05/2013 15:33:22
6756 forum posts
197 photos

I've heard that before Martin & find it hard to understand the logic behind it.

During running it we are attempting to get the surfaces of each moving component to rub against each other & bed in slightly....this assumes a slight wearing of the parts as they rub together. What you are effectively saying is that cheaper oils will allow this in spades whilst synthetic oils will stop it happening altogether.....surely that can't be right......no oil on the planet will create a 100% friction free surface?

Personally I believe that synthetic oils are significantly better than mineral oils & well worth the extra cost but I cannot believe that any oil will stop an engine "bedding in".....

Martin McIntosh21/05/2013 16:45:38
3332 forum posts
1178 photos

Hi Steve, I seem to remember Brian Winch saying the same as me somewhere in the past. Synthetic is effectively too good to get a reasonable run-in time. Similar to putting a couple of tanks of castor through a glow to build up a seal.

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator21/05/2013 17:00:03
6756 forum posts
197 photos

Yeah as I say Martin I've heard it before but I'm very sceptical......any oil that allows a rapid "wearing in" will surely allow just as rapid "wearing out" & if an oil is so good as to stop any parts bedding in then surely they don't need to bed in as they are already a perfect fit.....wink 2

I suspect its one of those aeromodelling myths that build up over time....

Martin McIntosh21/05/2013 23:28:11
3332 forum posts
1178 photos

You are right to be sceptical but it is far from a myth. Many of the (cheaper end) current petrol motors use a standard piston and liner incorporated into a model engine case.These are not exactly a perfect, modern, CNC fit and require running in as did old car engines, i.e. run for a while at low speed, let it cool for a few hours then repeat a few times to bed in the rings/liner and harden off the surface. Synthetic will just not allow this initial smoothing off of the surfaces and you will end up with them hardened but without a good seal. My last petrol acquisition had zero compression from new but it started and is now tiptop. Of course a quality high end motor should not really need this.

ABC motors come with a perfect seal generally and need no running in but I once bought a bad example of a very popular glow which took two hours to start the first time but after much running became very good and reliable.

Dwain Dibley.21/05/2013 23:35:21
1408 forum posts
1405 photos

1 Ltr of Bel Ray = £17.00 ish

A mixture of 50:1( for my Zenoah 45) = 20ml per litr of gas

1 ltr of oil gives me 50 X 20ml

thats 50 ltrs of gas

17 quid / 50 = 34 pence per litre of gas =17p per flight

I do not consider that expensive to keep a £300 engine in good nick.

I ran her in on 40:1 with 4 Ltrs of the same oil/gas mix. When I changed to 50:1 the power increased like crazy and I still have to lean her out some.

D.D.

Tom Sharp22/05/2013 16:21:17
387 forum posts

My DLE 30 runs on 30 to 1. It says use ordinary two stroke oil but don't mix brands as they may react and block the carb. Dosn't mention synthetic.

Rich too23/05/2013 12:30:31
3060 forum posts
1070 photos

I use synthetic on the advice of my supplier (Glens Models) - he also said start them from the get go on 50:1. Rich ps I am running mine in on sythetic

Steve Dorling26/05/2013 09:34:28
41 forum posts
1 articles

Coo - there is a lot of 'waffle and bluster' mused and written about oils

Next time you pass a guy chopping a hole in the street with a bloody gert angle grinder, ask him which oil he uses................

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!