386 forum posts
54 photos

First monthly instalment of my Revolver build diary is now online:

**LINK**

Trevor

Cuban801/10/2019 09:53:33
2758 forum posts
13 photos

Nice one Trevor. My Revolver is 95% complete but other distractions have slowed the finish and delayed the first flight. I tinted my pop bottle canopy with Tamiya smoke canopy (model car body ) spray. Works really well and you can adjust the depth of tint to your exact taste. A facinating build that's introduced so many new skills to be mastered and that's without the flying!  See that you've been at the gyros for a while - so not so much of a culture shock for you laugh

You went with balsa for the tail.............I've never used depron before and I'm amazed at it, so easy to use and dead easy to sand to shape. I found a tin of red acrylic in my LMC  that matched the Ferrari Red Profilm that I used on the rest of the fuz - the depron took the colour very well. Will certainly be incorporating it into other builds where appropriate.

Edited By Cuban8 on 01/10/2019 10:04:28

Trevor01/10/2019 10:23:54
386 forum posts
54 photos

Thanks for the response Cuban. Interestingly I’ve been given a can of Tamiya Smoke by a car racing friend. I’m usually a disaster area when it comes to paint so any tips you have on applying it would be much appreciated. I was thinking of masking the outside of the canopy with cling film in the hope that it might make it easier to see how the colour is building up. However I’m not sure how to hold the canopy open to spray the inside.

Trevor

Richard Harris01/10/2019 21:10:49
2058 forum posts
1892 photos

I have been looking forward to this Trevor, well documented as usual. You will have to find another 'winter project' at this rate.

Rich

Steve Jones 202/10/2019 12:45:45
520 forum posts
382 photos

Both mine are with Depron tails covered completely in film, not at issue at all, just need to get the iron temp correct.

Balsa I am sure will be fine but maybe the resultant weight could be higher than depron.

Both my models needs nose weight and with a balsa tail it would have probably needed more.

Great build log Trevor yes

img_1560[1].jpg

Motor view

Steve

Big T02/10/2019 13:34:58
217 forum posts
202 photos

Both of mine have had a variety of tail components: depron with balsa stuck on to give a better hinge mount, dollar board, all balsa. No change to cg needed.

Gary Fentiman02/10/2019 15:05:41
24 forum posts

This looks like a great build Anyone know where I can get a set of plans from please?

Cuban802/10/2019 15:18:59
2758 forum posts
13 photos
Posted by Trevor on 01/10/2019 10:23:54:

Thanks for the response Cuban. Interestingly I’ve been given a can of Tamiya Smoke by a car racing friend. I’m usually a disaster area when it comes to paint so any tips you have on applying it would be much appreciated. I was thinking of masking the outside of the canopy with cling film in the hope that it might make it easier to see how the colour is building up. However I’m not sure how to hold the canopy open to spray the inside.

Trevor

First time I've used canopy spray, so I sort of made it up as I went along. I took care to clean the canopy of grease and finger marks with Washing up liquid and simply held the canopy by hand on the outside. Built up the depth of colour to what I wanted and that took around five very light coats. I didn't need to hold the canopy open any more than what it was naturally and the spray found its way inside ok. Does look good, will post a pic when I get a moment.

Richard Harris02/10/2019 16:35:31
2058 forum posts
1892 photos
Posted by Gary Fentiman on 02/10/2019 15:05:41:

This looks like a great build Anyone know where I can get a set of plans from please?

Gary,

Sometimes back issues are still available which include the plan and write up, best person to guide you in the right direction is David Ashby, if he doesn't see this send him a PM.

Failing that Sarik hobbies sell the plan, part kit and canopy if you look HERE.

Rich

Trevor22/10/2019 19:50:13
386 forum posts
54 photos

Well, my Revolver is finished - colour scheme inspired by Steve J’s example.

a2db8870-4035-4a34-907a-7f20f1859238.jpeg

I took it to the field today, the main aim being to see if the head would spin up without any shims under the blades. With practically no wind, it took a long slow takeoff run but the head got going and it did its first brief hop. There was no sign of any rolling or instability so I brought it back for another go. Again the blades spun up okay and it lifted off smoothly. However it immediately became clear that I was holding the stick hard back to hold the nose up, so I settled it back on the ground again. Apart from that, it felt very stable, albeit for a flight of what must have been all of three seconds!

Im pretty sure that the head angle is set more or less right (at right angles to the mast). The hang angle is though at the upper end of the recommended range i.e. on the nose heavy side. So my plan is to move the battery back an inch or so, extend the pushrods slightly then have another go.

Any other suggestions or recommendations.

Trevor

Chris Dowell23/10/2019 03:18:36
102 forum posts
47 photos

I think that my model fly's with about 4-5 deg back tilt.

Be VERY careful not to pull back to get your model into the air

Tilt head back fully to get head up to speed and as that happens slowly open throttle to get the model moving into the wind...so with head coming up to speed reduce back tilt and increase throttle so the model should be moving faster with head spinning fast . continue to increase throttle and when the model is ready it should lift by itself... and then you can apply back tilt if necessary.

If your not happy at any time … pullout

Pulling back on the head at low speed will only end in grief....been there done that.

Happy landings

Chris...

Chris Dowell23/10/2019 04:25:00
102 forum posts
47 photos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3hVgcSCcY8
Graham L23/10/2019 09:40:54
31 forum posts
8 photos

Trevor

Aim for a hang angle of around 16/17 degrees. That is a safe c of g at which it flies well. That is what it is on mine and I needed 5 clicks of up trim ( dx8) for it to fly level with the 5 degree backtilt. A heavier nose will need more backtilt on the head and it will not fly as well as it should as the blades will not be as efficient with a higher angle of attack

Graham

Richard Harris23/10/2019 21:43:04
2058 forum posts
1892 photos

Nice one Trevor,

It may be worth reducing the thickness of your shims on the blades as well as moving your battery back. More rearward tilt means more drag which requires extra power to push it forwards.

Rich

Trevor23/10/2019 22:00:22
386 forum posts
54 photos

Thanks Rich (and Chris and Graham too). The blades have no shims. This decision was based on experience with my Panther where it was vastly improved by removing the shims. I took care when shaping the blades to keep the leading edge low, which I suspect is the key to shimless operation.

A quick play today established that moving the battery back by about four inches is enough to move the hang angle through the recommended range so I’ll put it somewhere in the middle for the next attempt. I’ll keep you posted!

Trevor

Steve Jones 224/10/2019 06:34:59
520 forum posts
382 photos

Looks great Trevor, I bet the blades look good in the air !!

Both my models run 0.8mm shims. Getting the right amount of nose weigh was important... taking it high, into wind and cutting the throttle the model then drops its nose gently and comes down with a nose down attitude. Initially they did not and would 'sit up' when the power was cut... more nose weight sorted it

Steve

Trevor28/10/2019 16:38:25
386 forum posts
54 photos

Okay, this morning saw the second foray with the Revolver. With the battery re-located rearwards by a couple of inches the hang angle was reduced from 18 to 15 degrees. No other changes were made. The full flight report is in my updated online diary (scroll down to October entry): **LINK**

Having just flown the Panther and the Revolver back to back, one clubmate remarked that, although the Revolver seemed to fly very nicely, it lacked the (to him pleasing) 'thwack, thwack' from the rotors. I must confess that the auditory side of things wasn't really commanding much of my limited mental capacity at the time so I can't corroborate this impression but can only imagine that, since the blades are very similar on the two models with the Revolver being a pound and a half lighter, the blades just aren't having to work so hard. I did get the impression that the head seemed to be a little 'lazy' - maybe I should put the RPM sensor on it some time and try to confirm this. If this is an indication that the blades have lift to spare, maybe there would be some merit in trying some thin shims after all, with a view to getting the head speed up a bit and aiding the initial spin up?

Anyway, meanwhile, congratulations to the designer chappy on another winner!

Trevor

img_2503.jpg

Richard Harris28/10/2019 21:41:37
2058 forum posts
1892 photos

Congratulations Trevor, an enjoyable blog that is sure to encourage others to have a go at these fascinating flying machines.

Rich

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
CML
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us