By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Revolver Pusher type Autogyro trainer

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gene Graber26/10/2020 18:18:21
16 forum posts
6 photos

Rich: you must have been asked this before - sorry. In the RCM&E article, you state the blade bolt hole is to be 500 mm from the blade tip. On the plan, the 4 mm dia bolt hole is to be 530mm from the tip. It measures this on the plan. Which is correct? Thanks. Gene

Richard Harris26/10/2020 23:06:33
2223 forum posts
2054 photos

Gene,

The plan is correct embarrassed

Rich

Gene Graber12/11/2020 01:04:38
16 forum posts
6 photos

Rich: I've completed the rotor blades but still have to cover with film. Here are the weights and measures: Blade #1 - 37 gms; 530 mm length end to bolt centerline - 530.4 mm. Blade #2 - 36 gms; 530.75 mm. Blade #3 - 36 gms; 530.0 mm. The spanwise C of G of the three blades is within 6 mm. I checked the balance of the three combinations and all are almost perfect - just slightly down on one side. When I assemble the rotor with the Coolwind head, one blade (#3) always ends up DOWN. So my lightest and shortest blade behaves like the heaviest. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Gene

Chris Dowell12/11/2020 08:46:30
143 forum posts
52 photos

Even when all blades have been made to identical weights ...you will find that the entire head assembly has to be balances as one unit. This usually requires small strips tape to be added to the tips of the lighter blades .

This is a critical part of the set up.

Chris...

Chris Dowell12/11/2020 08:57:55
143 forum posts
52 photos

Unfortunately I have always had problems adding my videos to this forum BUT if you were to go to my you tube channel " britinozoz" you will find plenty of autogiro clips and there are two on balancing the head assembly .I think that the more recent one "balancing the C30 " may be the better of the two. I think there may also be a couple of videos of this particular model.

Happy landings

Chris...

Big T17/11/2020 17:54:43
224 forum posts
202 photos
Posted by Chris Dowell on 12/11/2020 08:46:30:

Even when all blades have been made to identical weights ...you will find that the entire head assembly has to be balances as one unit. This usually requires small strips tape to be added to the tips of the lighter blades .

This is a critical part of the set up.

Chris...

Chris I am sure you are correct but.....I have always added weight to the blades lengthwise CofG to get them to the same weight. Then I make sure to cover them with the exactly the same size of film, then double check the weights again. Lately I have experimented with using the thin heat shrink tubing that is used by the food and lipo manufacturers, widely available on eBay. Works very well and is stronger than silly film

Chris Dowell17/11/2020 23:47:10
143 forum posts
52 photos

Yes Tim … I always do all the initial balancing along the center line. Its only when using a prop balancer on its final balance that I add the tape to the tips ...at this stage ..I believe that the tape will not effect the final set up.,and my head assemblies always run true. I have also used the heat shrink tape that you mention.it makes a very quick and sturdy skin to the blade....although ...just a little heavier than film and care must be taken by not applying to much heat as the T/E may be vulnerable.

Chris...

Gene Graber18/11/2020 03:02:38
16 forum posts
6 photos

dscf4429.jpgRich: here is my Revolver as of today. The blades balance quite well. Tomorrow I start covering the blades and install the motor, cockpit canopy, and rudder servo. Gene

Richard Harris18/11/2020 12:42:06
2223 forum posts
2054 photos

That's coming together nicely Gene smile d

Which ever method you choose to balance your blades it is always wise to recheck once they are covered.

Here is a good video Chris made of how he balances his, I'm sure there is one somewhere I made of how I do it, just cant find it.

Edited By Richard Harris on 18/11/2020 12:43:31

Chris Dowell19/11/2020 08:42:45
143 forum posts
52 photos

Thanks again for the posting Rich.

I'm sure some of you will have found it very boring....but it was made to show those amongst us the fact that the entire head/blade assembly has to be balanced as one unit. I have come across several modelers that had only balanced the blades individually . I also made it to show that you can be chasing your tail to get a good balance .The unit I use is a DUBRO 499 that is very sensitive to any variations.

Happy Landings

Chris...

Trevor19/11/2020 14:01:44
522 forum posts
61 photos

Maybe I’ve just been lucky but I’ve so far always found that balancing the blades in pairs has been enough to give vibration-free operation. I do agree though that checking balance after covering is important. Indeed, sometimes adjusting the overlap area can be enough for that final balancing tweak.

Trevor

Chris Dowell20/11/2020 03:43:50
143 forum posts
52 photos

Trevor I do agree that the balancing of blades in pairs or the using of a heli balancer are both very good methods although It does appears to me that we consistently see questions from those just getting into this side of the hobby ,that is completely different to what the may have encountered previously.

So showing , sometimes is easier than telling. I still believe that balancing as one unit takes out all the variances that may creep in regarding differences in bolts, washers ,packing that may have an influence on the final balance .

I know that Rich had a video for balancing in pairs many years ago ...but I cant find it.

Happy Landings

Chris...

Aviatormax28/11/2020 14:58:01
6 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Rich, today I finally tested the rebolver, but it crah luckly without big damages.

Without wind the rotor spin quickly once in air it pitch up with an angle of around 20 degrees and roll toward left doing a half tonneaux and then hit the gtound. Do you have any suggestion?

Cheers Max

Richard Harris28/11/2020 17:19:10
2223 forum posts
2054 photos

Hi Max,

Could you take a couple of photos?

The first one a side view of your Revolver powered up as you flew it ( to get an idea of what your reward tilt is).

The second with the model hung from the rotor shaft ( with lipo fitted) so I can see the hang angle.

Rich

Aviatormax28/11/2020 20:13:43
6 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Rich I have to fix some minor damage and I will post pictures, many thanks

Aviatormax29/11/2020 08:33:04
6 forum posts
2 photos

20201129_085823 (copia).jpgHi Rich here the pictures.20201129_085239 (copia).jpg

Steve Jones 229/11/2020 09:20:07
613 forum posts
477 photos

First picture head back angle looks excessive. Second picture hang angle looks ok . Can you measure it on the boom . Mine is 16 deg

steveStatic3.jpeg

Steve Jones 229/11/2020 09:20:11
613 forum posts
477 photos

First picture head back angle looks excessive. Second picture hang angle looks ok . Can you measure it on the boom . Mine is 16 deg

steveStatic3.jpeg

Aviatormax29/11/2020 12:11:21
6 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Steve thanks for suggestion. I have to shorten a little bit the two rods.

Aviatormax29/11/2020 12:11:23
6 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Steve thanks for suggestion. I have to shorten a little bit the two rods.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Subscribe now
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!