1886 photos

Graham,

The blue sky really shows off your excellent colour schemesmile d

Rich

Stephen Jones08/08/2016 23:18:39
2654 forum posts
1503 photos

Blue Skies, Where in the UK,

All i`ve seen is Gray clouds No summer sun for me, Mind you i do live in Manchester.

You Lucky Person.

Steve

Steve Jones 213/08/2016 15:09:31
501 forum posts
369 photos

Head platesFollowing success with Graham's double head plates, until Rich finds the best single plate set up, thanks Malcolm at Coolwind for these - 0.8 & 0.4 head plates and a 0.8 circular strike plate

Steve

Steve Jones 220/08/2016 22:44:58
501 forum posts
369 photos

image.jpegThank again Malcolm at Coolwind for the prototype adjustable engine mount. Fitted easily to the motor and gives 8mm of adjustment to set motor position and rudder trim.

image.jpeg

Steve Jones 220/08/2016 22:45:03
501 forum posts
369 photos

image.jpegThank again Malcolm at Coolwind for the prototype adjustable engine mount. Fitted easily to the motor and gives 8mm of adjustment to set motor position and rudder trim.

image.jpeg

Graham L21/08/2016 20:57:28
30 forum posts
8 photos

rev.jpgTried a throttle rudder mix to compensate for permanent rudder offset but made matters worse as I discovered that most of the rudder offset is caused by spiral slipstream from the prop hitting the fin on one side . This is unfortunately not linear with increase or decrease of throttle and proved to be a very scary short flight. Have now made a new motor plate from a lamination of 1.6mm and 1mm fibreglass plate ( to use my existing bulkhead mounting holes) epoxied together and have offset the motor 10 mm from the bulkhead centreline, which is just overlapping the fuselage side by approx. 1mm. Have not flown it yet due to high winds but hanging it by the head and steadily increasing throttle seems to show no undue nose swing.in either direction.with rudder centered. Will report back after testing. Malcolms plate looks good with even more adjustment and is well thought out.

img_0070.jpg

Steve Jones 221/08/2016 21:19:06
501 forum posts
369 photos

Very interesting Graham, mine was 6mm and still had all the rudder trim. Malcolm's mount allows 9 to 10mm which I will try next weekend

Steve

Graham L28/08/2016 16:47:02
30 forum posts
8 photos

Tried the revolver with the10mm motor offset in the previous post which is as far across as you can go without significantly overlapping the side of the bulkhead ( mine overlaps 1mm). Still needs 5mm of left rudder to fly straight ( was 10mm before ) but at this there are no significant major trim changes when opening or closing the throttle which there was before with the motor at 5mm offset. . Will now leave at this as is comfortable to fly now at all throttle settings. May however experiment with props to see if this allows trim to be reduced further. . Given this is mostly the effect of spiral slipstream from the prop hitting the left hand side of the tailfin, by reducing or increasing the pitch of the prop ( currently using APCE9x6) then should be able to reduce the flow over the tail. However a larger pitch gives more thrust and less gives more speed so currently not sure which way to go.

However have now got a well behaved gyro with no surprises.

Look forward to hearing how you get on Steve.

Graham

Steve Jones 228/08/2016 18:41:32
501 forum posts
369 photos

Hi Graham ,

Yes been out too and first tried Malcolm's head plates and no trim change compared to you. Will stick with them.

motor offset was initially 6mm as with Winterton and again no trim change. Moved the motor to 8mm then 10mm and rudder offset reduced but still there like yours. Any more motor offset it will start to look really odd so I will stick with 10mm.

I suspect offsetting the motor helps but it seems to have limited effect . My prop is a 10x6.

Left it at that then entertained all several flights with some fun flying, light winds and it was a blast . Tim took a video I will try and post

Steve

Steve Jones 228/08/2016 20:35:15
501 forum posts
369 photos

Added some covers to the under cart legs like Graham's

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Steve

Steve Jones 228/08/2016 20:42:30
501 forum posts
369 photos

Uploaded a short video to utube flying during motor offset testing ..... its called " Revolver 2 autogyro SJ at Banbury"

Not sure how to post here but go have a look or if

someone could post please

Graham L29/08/2016 23:30:25
30 forum posts
8 photos

Steve . I am glad the head plates worked ok. Also The new undercarriage legs finish it off well.

As a matter of interest used a 1mm and 0.4mm plate together on the 2 blade atom with an anti strike plate and it flies ! Just need to increase the hang angle a bit as the blades are starting to stall on a downwind leg. Hopefully it should then fly as well as yours.

Graham

Richard Harris02/09/2016 23:03:02
2046 forum posts
1886 photos

Here you go Steve,

I have also fitted Malcolm's new adjustable plate, just haven't had time to take it out to try as yet. Weather looks a touch wet tomorrow but Sunday is more promising. Also have a couple of 1.5mm head plates to trial along with a two blade set up so should be busy if I can get away from nappy changing! wink 2

Rich

Steve Jones 203/09/2016 10:22:22
501 forum posts
369 photos

Great thanks Rich, I'm going to stick with my setup as it flys so well. Will be very interesting to sehow you get on tho, we will try that on Toms when completed, keep us posted

Steve

Steve Jones 203/09/2016 10:22:36
501 forum posts
369 photos

Great thanks Rich, I'm going to stick with my setup as it flys so well. Will be very interesting to sehow you get on tho, we will try that on Toms when completed, keep us posted

Steve

Disciple of Autogyros30/12/2016 17:56:32
25 forum posts
15 photos

Hi Rich, Where can I get the Revolver 2 plans from?

Cheers

Mike

Richard Harris06/01/2017 16:45:08
2046 forum posts
1886 photos

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the delayed reply. The plans are nearing completion and will be submitted soon to RCM&E, I have received what I think will be the final head plate from Coolwind yesterday. Just hoping the weather will play ball so I can go and test it, I am sure it will be fine.

I found this photo on a memory card taken last year just to wet your appetite wink 2

img_9787.jpg

Rich

Disciple of Autogyros07/01/2017 10:52:23
25 forum posts
15 photos

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your reply and the appetite wetting photos. This is excellent news, I'm really looking forward to building the Revolver when published in RCM&E. I'm a big fan of your designs and instructional information (and that of all the other on-line autogyro contributors), I've built several (then crashed) then rebuilt (and crashed again) but I'm just so into autogyros. However I'm slowly learning and grateful for your committment to the dark art.

Cheers

Mike

Richard Elliot07/01/2017 11:37:19
180 forum posts
118 photos

Hi Mike

I don't know where you are based but if you are into autogyros the best thing you can do is to get yourself along to one of the many little Autogyronut gatherings we have during the year. They are hosted by various of us all over the country throuout the year and the dates are posted here on the Autogyronut pages and other forums.

You really won't meet a friendlier more welcoming group of modellers and you will fly more and crash less because we all learn from each other, and have a great time into the bargain. Promisesmile

Cheers

Rich E

Steve Jones 207/01/2017 14:10:37
501 forum posts
369 photos

Completely agree with Rich and he beat me to it...over 20 years modelling and I too struggled to start. However , with such generous help from the Uk Autonuts I cracked it and 3 years later I have far too many now ...love it.

Get yourself to our events and there will be a rush to help.

The revolver is one of my favourites and as you see on Rich nose to nose pic it's a joy

Good luck and see you this year

Steve

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Addlestone Models
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us