By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Are you a flyer or a builder?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Q: New Poll - are you mainly a flyer or builder?

Flyer  
15%

Tend fly  
22%

Builder  
7%

Tend build  
27%

Both equal  
28%

(479 votes)

Phil 904/06/2013 09:23:39
4287 forum posts
251 photos

should that be crasher or wood scrapper?

Tony Bennett04/06/2013 09:24:54
5082 forum posts
129 photos

builder most definately.

lose interest once the model is finished and flown.

Olly P04/06/2013 09:26:33
3215 forum posts
181 photos

Tend to build more - mostly as I can do 5 mins here and there when the workshop is set up, unlike flying where I have to get to the field etc...

Nev Haycox04/06/2013 09:28:58
327 forum posts
20 photos

At the moment definitely a flyer but I hope to attempt to build something in the future that vaguely resembles an aircraft laugh

Nev.

Danny Fenton04/06/2013 09:30:58
9481 forum posts
4293 photos

Flying? what's that then wink 2

A rainy day is great for building

A foggy day is great for building

A sunny day is great for painting

A snowy day is great for....... lol more building teeth 2

Simon B04/06/2013 09:31:05
1936 forum posts
284 photos

My answer depends on the time of the year. At the moment I'm mainly flying ARTFs, as the weather is passable and i'm not up for building, but at other times I build more and fly less.

bouncebounce crunch04/06/2013 09:44:12
1739 forum posts
212 photos

I make my own brand of toothpicksembarrassed made of balsa splinters of course.

Building has been slow but doing more of that than flying. Doing less covering than building too. cost, cost, cost.

Dwain Dibley.04/06/2013 10:07:56
1397 forum posts
1393 photos

The opportunity to build summat presents itself more frequently than the opportunity to fly.

Having said that I am flying this afternoon, as I have this week off work. cheeky

D.D.

Martyn K04/06/2013 10:22:04
5077 forum posts
3678 photos

I love designing and building my aeroplanes. However, I see it as a means to an end. The objective is to get something that flies well and that I am proud to say that I built (even if it looks 10 years old before its first flight). Definitely no shortcuts with ARTF/RTF though.

I do not enjoy major repairs though although maintenance repairs are a de facto part of every day flying. I am getting more interested in Scale models - mainly inspired by Danny - but not sure I have the patience or skills to do a scale model justice.

One thing that I forgot to mention was that my interest is not just building and flying R/C Models. I have a couple of FF Peanut scale models on the bench at the moment plus a vintage KK Senator that is waiting to be trimmed and entered into an international postal comp.

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 04/06/2013 10:42:38

Martin Harris04/06/2013 10:38:50
9262 forum posts
245 photos

In pure time terms I spend more building (or thinking about building) than flying - if you count actual air time but I get up to the field at least twice a week all through the year so flying activities occupy a good chunk of my free time.

Building time depends what I've got on the go at the time but when I get my teeth into a job it can be pretty much full time, squeezing work and domestic responsibilities in where unavoidable with the odd hour or two in bed! At other times I hardly go into my workshop except to do the odd bit of (usually self-inflicted!) maintenance...

Roll on retirement!

Danny Fenton04/06/2013 10:40:14
9481 forum posts
4293 photos

Posted by Martyn K on 04/06/2013 10:22:04:

I am getting more interested in Scale models - mainly inspired by Danny - but not sure I have the patience or skills to do a scale model justice.

Martyn

Its very kind of you Martyn, but really I need my friends to perform an intervention wink 2

Cheers

Danny

Bob Cotsford04/06/2013 12:12:54
8390 forum posts
463 photos

it's hard to say after the weather we've had the last couple of years. Up until last winter I would have said it was biased toward building purely because I work prevents me flying most weekdays but I am free to build most evenings.

However, this last year - especially last winter - I'd lost the will to build,maybe because I wasn't flying?

Now I'd say it's pretty even.

Dave Dadson04/06/2013 12:50:40
23 forum posts
18 photos

With this weather more hours building than flying.

Roy Mundy04/06/2013 13:32:40
453 forum posts

I enjoy the building and it takes my mind off of the daily pressure of running your own business, instead of thinking about the figures and daily problems, I am thinking now how the heck does that fit on there lol. I also enjoy the flying and you just cant beat seeing something that you have spent hours working on go crashing to the ground ............................ I mean take to the air blush . In my experience I can see why people fly ARTF as they work out cheaper and they look good and some people just want to fly without spending hours building. But the genereal build quality and strength of making your own makes it all worth it in my book.

Levanter04/06/2013 14:26:31
882 forum posts
437 photos

I have visted one out of the three aeroclubs in Mallorca with a view to joining and all are over 60km drive. Where I live it it is mountainous so no decent flat areas but plenty of nearby sea and sheltered bays. This is why I am very focussed on float and seaplanes. I still have never flown an RC plane and I can't wait to learn but it will be in a Club setting. I don't know enough about Spanish law to risk being uninsured and outside of a federation. Building makes me very happy and not just with planes. I have some static ship models on the go and a couple of powerboats. There is quite a strong RC yacht racing scene which is a lot of fun (IOM Class) so I spread my time quite a bit. Having read the crash statistics and the need to take more than one plane to the airfield I reckon having a bit of a stock of aircraft could be a good idea. My girlfriend wants to learn to fly as well so if you add in the doubled crash and the mid-air risk my proportion of build time is probably about right. The reality more truthfully could be ''Task Avoidance". Which task you might ask but actually I am a bit apprehensive about getting airborne.

Martin Quigley04/06/2013 15:07:24
38 forum posts

Can't build

Shouldn't build.

Fail at building.

All you builders should give me a call - let me fly your models, since I totally suck at building and love flying..

Greybeard04/06/2013 15:13:16
726 forum posts
6 photos

Flying is merely the proof that you built it correctly – or not. embarrassed

Martyn K04/06/2013 15:58:51
5077 forum posts
3678 photos

Interesting to see the responses. My brief interpretation of the question was "Are you a builder, a flyer or a bit of both". There is no time aspect to the question, I understood it as really an attempt to quantify the level of enjoyment you get from the hobby and where the pleasure lies. If we are trying to work out how much time on various parts of the hobby, then I would be about 95% builder, 5% flyer possibly even less time flying.

From an enjoyment point of view then 50:50

Martyn

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator04/06/2013 16:33:24
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

I would class myself as both in equal shares. Weather (and family!) permitting I usually fly three session per week, Sat, Sun and Wednesday evening. I'm in the shed at some time everyday! I try to get an hour or two in the evenings after work. Doesn't always work out!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 04/06/2013 16:33:50

Andrew76704/06/2013 16:43:59
809 forum posts
4 photos

Like Martyn, i enjoy both about the same but the weather has meant more building than flying.

Andrew

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!