Should I sell my DH88 Comet?

I can't decide whether I want to.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris Bott - Moderator10/06/2013 20:40:14
6305 forum posts
1280 photos
1 articles

My beloved DH88 Comet, as seen elsewhere on this forum, seems to sit all forlorn in it's storage position from one month to the next.

I promise myself I'll fly the beauty again soon, always "just after I have a little more practice" on other models.

The last time she flew was just before Christmas, after a long rebuild. So she is proven, as is my ability.

The trouble is, I don't get out to fly that often, and there are other things I'd like to do. So I have a nagging feeling that it will be a long time before she actually graces the skies again.

I think that if I was someone who concentrated on one model, then DH88 and I would know each other intimately and I'd happily fly her anywhere. But that's not my way, I flit from one model to another, and have a little queue of other models I want to fly too.

So, should I leave her up in the corner to revisit another day? Or is it time to move on, and let someone else have the pleasure?

Indeed, would anyone even want to buy a smashed and rebuilt model? In my opinion she's a better model than the original ARTF, but I may just be a little biased. One thing is for sure, the full history is available here in detail, so any buyer would know exactly what they would be getting.

Tim Hooper10/06/2013 20:43:33
2824 forum posts
2346 photos

Sounds like you don't really want to sell her unless you were approached with a reasonable offer, doesn't it?

I suspect that you have too much time and effort invested in her to risk flying her too often.  I have models that I'm really attached to - so much so that they don't actually get much airtime.

tim

Edited By Tim Hooper on 10/06/2013 20:45:38

Tony Bennett10/06/2013 20:45:10
4835 forum posts
117 photos

oh keep it.

you know you want too.

Chris Bott - Moderator10/06/2013 20:53:00
6305 forum posts
1280 photos
1 articles

Thanks chaps, it's something I've been wondering for a good while. I gained a huge amount of pleasure from the rebuild, and am slowly coming round to the fact that I've had my fill, if you see what I mean?

chris edwards 310/06/2013 21:01:28
221 forum posts
64 photos

what you need to do is say that its comming up to fly next time and take it, once you fly a model you havent for a while you soon realise that you want to keep it and won't want to sell it.

Danny Fenton10/06/2013 21:03:15
8516 forum posts
3444 photos

It is a difficult one Chris but I think you should fly it. We fall into a trap sometimes, opting to fly the easier model when the conditions aren't perfect, or you don't feel like all the rigging, or you just don't feel up to it. I think we should push ourselves just a little bit, hark at me I am just as bad embarrassed I have hangar queens, and often opt for my old faithful Chipmunk because I know it.

Give it another year, last year was a washout due mainly to the weather wink 2

Cheers

Danny

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator10/06/2013 21:17:25
15349 forum posts
1409 photos

There is a lot of sense in what has been said - I can particularly identify with Tim's comment on the time you invested in her making it difficult to bring yourself to risk her. But hey, Chris you've been in this game a long time - you know every flight is a risk - hopefully a controlled and minimised one, but a risk none the less.

But aeroplanes are like wild animals - they shouldn't really be kept in captivity! You built her to fly her - so that's what should happen - in an ideal world. But its not ideal is it?

I think Danny's suggestion is a good 'un - give it a little more time - maybe until at least towards the end of the "summer" flying season - say, the Nats. If you still haven't plucked up the umph by then well maybe yes sell it. But hopefully - a few sunny weekends will see you feeling "ready" for her and you'll give it a go.

BEB

PS Now I've said all the nice encouraging things, if you do want to sell her I'm sure I could find it in myself to give her a loving home! smile p

Tom Sharp10/06/2013 21:29:26
387 forum posts

Best to burn her today. Then you wont have the guilt of crashing her on the next outing.

If you should sell her, think of the misery you will heap opon yourself should the buyer terminate her on the first flight.

Chris Bott - Moderator10/06/2013 21:32:13
6305 forum posts
1280 photos
1 articles

yes Thanks Tom.

You know, one of these answers may well help crystalise my thinking.

Cheers all.

Dylan Reynolds LaserCraft Services10/06/2013 21:40:25
1704 forum posts
661 photos

It's certainly a model to be proud of, she looks a beaut!

I pesonally would go with the above suggestion give it till the Nats, if you feel the same then I'll meet you at the RCM&E tent and gladly take her off your hands smile p (seriously)

Paul Marsh10/06/2013 21:40:58
3257 forum posts
904 photos

Sell it to me. Got a few twins and can get them down on one engine - within reason...

I'm selling a twin, as never get to fly it and want to create more space for newer models.

Richard Harris10/06/2013 21:56:26
1916 forum posts
1737 photos

Chris,

Sell it, it has bitten once and may well bite again. You have probably had more enjoyment out of the repair work than you have flying her. put the money towards something more user friendly and predictable.

Rich

Pete B - Moderator10/06/2013 22:32:55
7430 forum posts
708 photos

I think you should have a few more flights before you can really decide if she stays or not - so far you haven't been able to relax and enjoy it as each excursion has been a 'test-flight'.

Whilst we don't plan for expendability and we know the risk is always there, it doesn't stop us putting many long hours into preparing a model for flight, and you deserve a little more reward than a very few brief, nail-biting excursions.

I reckon a couple more flights and you'll be forgetting the work done and be able to enjoy seeing her in the air.

If she goes now, you'll never know....smile

Pete

Chris Bott - Moderator11/06/2013 08:46:14
6305 forum posts
1280 photos
1 articles

Thanks everyone. All comments duly noted.

No hasty decisions will be made. yes

john melia 111/06/2013 09:25:22
1770 forum posts
24 photos

you know this story reminds me of when i was into motorbikes , my last bike was a suzuki 750 srad , with a few modifications wink it never came out unless the weather was good , ie , no sign of rain EVER , and blue skies .

As time progressed repairs were carried out after having binned it twice , and things started to change , and by that i mean every time i went to get the bike out , i got bad vibes , pictures in my head of binning it in a bad way , it got so bad that i would put the bike away again.

One nice sunny day i again attempted to get the bike out , and again i had this forboding feeling in my head ,so on that day i decided there and then to sell it , and two weeks later it was gone .

So i suppose what i'm trying to say is , go with your gut instincts , they are rarely wrong , i'm convinced if i hadn't , the bike would have been a write off , and i may well have not been here today .

TheFlyingCrust11/06/2013 09:50:49
611 forum posts
67 photos

What about retaining ownership but allowing others to get pleasure from viewing her. Would the Shuttleworth Collection be interested in displaying her alongside the real Grosvenor House at Old Warden? You may the be prompted to go down there on model flying open days to give her an airing.

If they're not interested then one of the above suggestions, but as JM1 says, if you're not relaxed flying her then there's no enjoyment. Sell.

Ian

Stephen Grigg11/06/2013 09:54:21
8691 forum posts
1128 photos

Definitely do not sell.She is a beauty just to look at .The effort you put in to rebuild should be yours to enjoy and look at.Ive plenty of models I keep looking at and will fly when I get back into swing of flying and non are for sale,well maybe.

cymaz11/06/2013 10:20:10
7639 forum posts
987 photos

Take it out for a flight and really think about it while she's in the air.

If it doesn't give you a smile or any pleasure then sell it.

Give the new owner all the info you can on it. If he/she is still happy to part with their money and buy it then you can walk away with a clear conscience.

Give the pleasure of flying it to someone else.

ken anderson.11/06/2013 20:17:48
8048 forum posts
729 photos

chris-get rid and spend the dosh on something more forgiving......if you dont enjoy flying it-whats the point of keeping it as an ornament..................ask a reasonable price and thats it history.......

ken anderson ne..1 ...advice dept.

David Ashby - RCME11/06/2013 20:55:30
10795 forum posts
1612 photos
604 articles

I could always start a poll on this? wink 2

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Wings & Wheels 2018
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Overlander
Airtek Hobbies
Expo Tools 14 July
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues