Forum sponsored by CML

Tiger Moth power plant.

Engine and propeller combination

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Levanter21/06/2013 14:08:24
883 forum posts
437 photos

I am pricing up a short kit Tiger Moth. The wingspan is 60" Weight is approximately 8lb and as far as I can work out the wing loading is in the region of 17oz per sq ft. The figures state 60 - 90 two stroke and 80 - 90 four stroke which seem a bit low to my from what I have read on other threads. I would like to fit a four stroke and have lively performance potential but nothing outrageous so would a 120 four stroke be more realistic? Does anyone know of an inline twin around this capacity? Finally what sort of size propeller would be a good compromise?

Bob.....21/06/2013 14:41:31
69 forum posts
12 photos

80-90 fs on a 60" span tiggie. seems a bit ott to be honest. i'm in the process of finishing a DB tiggie of 59" span and sticking a saito 50fa four stroke in it.

used to have a similar sized cirrus moth with a 52 fs in it and used to fly comfortably at half throttle.

a 120 would more than be ott.probs rip wings off in a full throttle steep dive and pull out!!

rob.

Former Member21/06/2013 15:18:21

[This posting has been removed]

Turbycat21/06/2013 17:29:00
594 forum posts
55 photos

I've got the large perkins Tiger Moth. About 78" span. That flies very well on an ASP 91 fs. It will, in fact, loop from level flight with this power plant! I wouldn't have thought you'd need any more than a good 60 size four stroke at most.

Andy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!