Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Futaba 14SG chat

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
A.A. Barry09/09/2014 08:53:10
1922 forum posts
186 photos

Thanks Malcom, disappointing but understandable, well it looks like I'll just have to buy an Ereader to absorb your procedures, the other Q about the ratchet being applied, any possiblity???

Cheers

Barry

Malcolm Holt09/09/2014 09:27:25
84 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Barry,

The ratchet is a hardware issue so your guess is as good as mine. I'm sure it can be done but suggest you contact Futaba support.

A.A. Barry10/09/2014 22:58:23
1922 forum posts
186 photos

Malcom, I took your advice, on the book, and I added it to my laptop,very good explanations you have written, nice and simple , yesyesyes

Cheers

Barry

A.A. Barry12/09/2014 02:14:34
1922 forum posts
186 photos

Hi all, for those of you that wish to have a ratchet on your 14Sg throttle stick, here is the procedure, be aware that once the rear cover is removed your warranty flies out the door

With a small Ellen key, remove the 2 top screws holding the antenna trim on

remove the rubber side pads, battery and cover

remove back cover. your throttle gimble will have a plastic small cover over the ratchet device,a small thin metal arm is the part to be removed along with the that plastic covering, now you will notice there is no indent in that thin metal strip, which causes the ratcheting

Get a nice thin sharp small chisel and with the metal strip laying on top of vice jaws, ( opened slightly ) tap an indent into the end of the strip, you can file the indentation to a sharper profile, but i left mine as it came out.

replace all the bits in reverse order and there ya have it............easy hey wink

Cheers

Barry

Edited By A.A. Barry on 12/09/2014 02:15:55

Terence Moore24/05/2015 10:06:10
145 forum posts
94 photos

Which student transmitters are compatable with the 14SG as instructor. I have the square to square buddy lead, without the voltage "chip".

Alternatively is the new wireless adaptor more easily used with a wider list of tx's????

Adrian Smith 131/05/2015 10:40:24
2134 forum posts
831 photos

Quick question for all you experts. I have be working my way around the programming and have reached the point of switch assignment. On my petrol models I usually put the Opto kill switch unit on switch A and the choke on switch B on my old Futaba 7C. Now they are two position switches whereas on the 14SG all the switches bar one are three position switches. I have successfully assigned the appropriate channels I want to use for these switches, but before I start connecting servos, will the fact the switches on the 14SG are 3 position cause any problems? I did think of PM Malcolm Holt here as he has been very helpful in my setting up downloading his book, but I don't want to be a pain with too many questions.

Dave Bran31/05/2015 11:53:21
1898 forum posts
5 photos

Where I have had to use a three pos switch for a two pos use, I have always put the switched state on both middle and "down", just in case of operating through.

Adrian Smith 131/05/2015 12:09:10
2134 forum posts
831 photos

Hmmm…. Dave. Does that mean I have programme the switch state? I know you can alter the direction of which way is on or off. Sorry sound a bit thick.

Malcolm Holt31/05/2015 14:50:10
84 forum posts
2 photos

Adrian. On the kill switch a 3-position switch should be OK. Up and down will give Off and On. The mid position will give one or the other depending on the type of kill switch. If the choke is driven by a servo then the middle switch position will give approximately half choke.

The 14SG provides plenty of scope for altering these by programming switch states but it can be a bit daunting when you encounter the radio for the first time. If you want any help please PM me, saying exactly what you want to achieve with each switch position.

Personally I always use one of the dials (RD or LD) for my kill switch on the basis that I am far less likely to activate it by accident than a toggle switch. The disadvantage, compared to a toggle switch, is that it is less easy to see whether the switch is ON or OFF though the Opto-kill light still indicates this. The sliders (RS and LS can also be used as switches.

Adrian Smith 131/05/2015 16:03:08
2134 forum posts
831 photos

Thanks Malcolm. I have put the kill switch and choke on A an B switches purely out of habit as this is the case with all my models on the 7C. Although I take your point with using the dials. The Opto Kill SW has a warning light. The Opto requires channel movement 140% either way to be sure of working, hence my initial concerns of a 3 position toggle. I have attached servos to the assigned channels/switches just to see how they move, but obviously until I connect the Opto in the place of 1 servo I won't know for sure. With choke I can live with the 50% per click. As ever, your are a gent Malcolm and will probably PM you with what I decide what want to do with these switches. By the way I have used the Ailevator mix to use for 2 elevator servos (CH2 & CH 7)and that seems to work fine by zeroing the aileron mix and leaving the elevators with the movement I want.

Malcolm Holt31/05/2015 16:24:51
84 forum posts
2 photos

Yes, ailevator works fine for twin elevators and gives you added scope later should you need it.

Don't forget that the function-based programming of the 14SG is fundamentally different to the channel-based system on your 7C. You can assign any function to any channel so you could simply have assigned a second elevator to any free channel via the Function Menu. However, now you have got ailevator working, don't be tempted to change it or you will lose all your model data. (Changing model type resets all data).

SR 7104/07/2017 22:08:58
247 forum posts
61 photos

I have a problem with the tx switch setting, when I allocate the switch for operating the channel the on / off widow

do's not appear, so cannot get it to work, this is for the flaps on my jet, there is power getting to the servos but no operation

help needed thanks

Tony

Malcolm Holt05/07/2017 07:05:47
84 forum posts
2 photos

If you assign a switch to a channel in the Function Menu it acts as a control. Any servo plugged into that channel will simply move to mirror the movement of the switch. In this case you are not using the switch to turn something on and off so the switch setting (on/off) window does not appear.

If you have the Flap function assigned to that channel you can adjust the way in which the flaps respond to the movement of the switch by means of the Flap Set menu.

There are various ways of setting up flaps. If you are still having problems please describe exactly how you want your flaps to operate, and with which control, and I will try to help.

SR 7105/07/2017 07:49:25
247 forum posts
61 photos

Hi Malcolm the problem with the flap switch was my second option, as I had wanted to use two R7008SBs to get more channels, but I could not get the second receiver to work on ch 9-14, I had turned the tx on to duel rx and then I linked the second rx to the duel link, and got the solid green, then I set it to three blinking reds for operation of ch 9-14, but it was still working on ch 1-8, been through it so many times and got nowhere that's why I went the other way, I am old and find computers hard work, the same for tx

The first receiver is ok on ch 1-8

I really prefer using two receivers,

Thanks for your help

Malcolm Holt05/07/2017 13:21:41
84 forum posts
2 photos

Hello Tony,

From your description you appear to have linked both receivers to the transmitter before changing the second receiver to Mode C in order to receive channels 9 to 14.

I suggest you check that the second receiver is in Mode C by following the instructions on page 25 of the manual. Then re-link both receivers to the transmitter with the DUAL setting described on page 37.

I don't have two R7008SBs so cannot check that this will solve your problem but it would appear the logical order in which to do things so it is worth a try.

Once you have got your receiver/receivers linked I am happy to help with the programming but you will need to describe to me exactly how you want the flaps to operate and with which control.

SR 7105/07/2017 16:39:14
247 forum posts
61 photos

Hi Malcolm you were right with linking of the receivers, my logic was link t first then set the to C surprise

I have gone into model menu as it says on page 121 but cannot find no mention of flaps

I should have stuck with rubber power sad so help on the next part please

I got your book maybe two years or more ago but my kindle has gone missing,

Malcolm Holt05/07/2017 17:44:34
84 forum posts
2 photos

The options available in the menus reflect the Model Type you have chosen. If there is no mention of flaps you have probably chosen a model type without flaps. Go to the Model Type menu and select the type of wing that matches your model. You can then go to the Function Menu and change the control assigned to the Flaps to the switch of your choice. Finally go to the Flap Set Menu if you need to adjust the flaps' movements.

You can read my book on your computer. You will need to download the free Kindle app here.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201245960​

My book will still be available in your Kindle account so you won't have to pay for it again.

SR 7105/07/2017 17:46:28
247 forum posts
61 photos

Ok Malcolm I want the flaps to work from switch SG via ch 9 and 10

Again I have brought up model menu but cannot see set flap

SR 7105/07/2017 18:20:28
247 forum posts
61 photos

Three position closed, half and full flap

Malcolm Holt05/07/2017 18:38:38
84 forum posts
2 photos

Go to Linkage Menu - Model Type. Make sure that the model is set to Airplane, Wing Normal, 2AIL + 2FLP, Tail Normal.

Now go Linkage Menu - Function Menu. By default the two flaps are assigned to channels 7 and 8. Scroll to the number 7 next to FLAP and change it to 9. Tap RTN and you will see that Camber has now moved to channel 7 and Flap is on channel 9. Now scroll to the to the number 8 next to FLP2 and change it to 10. The two flaps will now be on channels 9 and 10 as requested.

Scroll to LD next to Flap on channel 9 and change it to SG. Connect the flap servos to channels 9 and 10 and operate switch SG. If necessary use Reverse in the Linkage Menu to change the direction of movement. Now connect the flap linkages to give the desired movement. If you need to fine tune this, the Flap Set menu is definitely on screen 1/2 of the Model Menu.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2018
Motion RC
electricwingman 2017
Revoc
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us