By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Crane Fly Light , Autotogyro Trainer , For experienced pilots trying autogyros for the first time.

Free detailed build PDF ,and live links to material suppliers.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tom Wright 221/07/2013 00:24:53
3908 forum posts
297 photos

The Crane Fly Lite Auto gyro is an easy build and robust model designed to maximise the chances of successful first excursions into this type of single rotor machine .

The design utilises unusual features such as very short mast ,and rotor control coupled with rudder to achieve very pleasant roll control characteristics. Builders wishing to cut build time to a minimum will be able to purchase custom made blades that are tried and tested ,look out on this thread for supplier contact details .

The PDF can be obtained directly from HERE   just at the bottom of the download list, or, PM your E MAIL to me to receive a copy .

This new thread has been created exclusively for Crane Fly Lite builders other Crane Fly models have their own thread HERE .

If you decide to have a go please say hello on this thread and, where possible, post accounts of progress,ask questions, and of course photos and videos are always welcome.

Tom.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 29/07/2013 13:05:47

Tom Wright 221/07/2013 00:31:52
3908 forum posts
297 photos

zzzz crane 134.jpg

The Crane Fly Light 34" rotor photographed against it's big brother the 84" rotor Crane Fly Giant .

Tom.

David Tweddle21/07/2013 02:08:19
290 forum posts
3 photos

Hi Tom and thanks will say more ASAP, like the Build Note's a lot so now, for the plan pack and balsa pack Link

David

Tom Wright 221/07/2013 17:46:42
3908 forum posts
297 photos

Hi David

I will look forward to hearing how things go .

Tom.

WolstonFlyer21/07/2013 19:08:28
2104 forum posts
189 photos
Hi Tom

I am going to build one over the winter (I hope), you did send me the pdf of the original CF some time ago, but it looks too complicated for my building skills at the moment.

P.S You can link directly to the file to download rather than people finding the correct post on the other forum:

***Link***
David Begg 121/07/2013 20:16:35
87 forum posts
4 photos

Hi Tom, I have been busy on the computer and have ordered the CORRECT parts for my planned Crane fly lite. (I intend to make the head as per the plans this time!) How would a square carbon fibre tube go for the fuselage rather than wood? ( I have a light weight square carbon fibre tube in the garage, I don't have any spruce, but I do now know of a NZ source?

Cheers

David

Stephen Jones21/07/2013 21:32:32
2566 forum posts
1480 photos

Hi Tom ,

Could you give more details on the use of hacksaw blades for the rotor head .

Cheers , Steve

Tom Wright 222/07/2013 01:26:37
3908 forum posts
297 photos
Posted by Stephen Jones on 21/07/2013 21:32:32:

Hi Tom ,

Could you give more details on the use of hacksaw blades for the rotor head .

Cheers , Steve

Hi Steve

This is a subject for the original Crane Fly thread wink 2 . Don said he had trouble getting GF in the States for the CF SFH flex plate ,so he ended up using hack saw blades . I have no further information beyond his post and photos HERE . You could PM him for more details but although Don said the model flew well, I could not recommend this method for the CF Lite, as apparently a lot of trial and error took place before the correct compliance was achieved.

Regards

Tom.

Tom Wright 222/07/2013 01:49:06
3908 forum posts
297 photos
Posted by David Begg 1 on 21/07/2013 20:16:35:

Hi Tom, I have been busy on the computer and have ordered the CORRECT parts for my planned Crane fly lite. (I intend to make the head as per the plans this time!) How would a square carbon fibre tube go for the fuselage rather than wood? ( I have a light weight square carbon fibre tube in the garage, I don't have any spruce, but I do now know of a NZ source?

Cheers

David

Hi David

I cannot see any problem using the carbon as long as the weight is not greater than the spruce . Also if any of you over seas guys have trouble getting hold of GF it may be possible to use 1/32" birch ply instead . As time allows I will build a CF Lite using ply and even try laminating two pieces to make a flex plate .IMHO nothing beats GF for strength, and durability ,but if over seas builders cannot get it easily, as we can in the UK, then other suitable materials need to be checked out .

Regards

Tom.

Tom Wright 222/07/2013 01:59:17
3908 forum posts
297 photos
Posted by WolstonFlyer on 21/07/2013 19:08:28:
Hi Tom

I am going to build one over the winter (I hope), you did send me the pdf of the original CF some time ago, but it looks too complicated for my building skills at the moment.

P.S You can link directly to the file to download rather than people finding the correct post on the other forum:

***Link***

WolstonFlyer

Thanks for the direct link to the CF Lite PDF it does save scrolling down the page.

Regards

Tom.

Tom Wright 222/07/2013 02:15:13
3908 forum posts
297 photos

This is my prototype CF Lite ,you may notice that it has a split elevator ,were as the PDF version does not .This was done for simplicity in the final design CF Lite PDF .

Tom.

ozjimthree322/07/2013 07:09:07
26 forum posts
5 photos

Hallo Tom, thank you very much indeed for the CraneFlyLite design and PDF. Congratulations to you and all those involved in the project.

What's your secret? Is it a ten day week and forty eight hour days?

Thanks again.

Kind regards

Brian.

Tom Wright 222/07/2013 22:46:28
3908 forum posts
297 photos

Hi Brian

Just a bit of midnight oil moonand lots of time at the field.smile.

Thanks for the kind comments.

Tom.

Tom Wright 223/07/2013 19:43:39
3908 forum posts
297 photos

Yours truly giving the CF Lite an airing .

Terry Whiting 126/07/2013 09:41:15
564 forum posts
359 photos

Hi Tom, I'm about to make a start now that the heat has been turned down, found it unbearable in my model den. What is the AUW of CF 'L'.....Will you be announcing in the near future the address of the blade manufactur......Your split elevator was already a change I was about to do, saves weight in it's simplicity . I will deviate further with the use of 6mm Depron fin and tail plane as I have no qualms with it's strength.....each to his own wink......Anything on the hang angle................sorry If I'm being a pain.............................. Terry

Edited By Terry Whiting 1 on 26/07/2013 09:42:07

Tom Wright 226/07/2013 14:16:23
3908 forum posts
297 photos

Definitely not a pain Terry smile, but for the benefit of all builders it's worth noting that if the model is built to plan then the cog, hang angle, and auw ,should be well within limits .

The target auw is 15 - 18 ozs , Hang angle 13 - 17 degrees . Figures based on 1 - 1.3 A Lipo .

Building a centre gap elevator and extending the fin / rudder lower, is fine. But ! under no circumstances should elevator and rudder control rods be positioned above the rear boom bottom.and the two rear boom mounted servos sizes should not be increased above 4.7 grm each.

The generous nose length, is employed to avoid adding dead weight ballast .

Tom.

Terry Whiting 128/07/2013 11:59:41
564 forum posts
359 photos

Hi Tom, Thanks for the info, which has lead me to another question.....Is the greater hang angle of 'Lite' due to it's mast angle being 5 degree less than CF SFH ....................Terry

Tom Wright 228/07/2013 18:05:52
3908 forum posts
297 photos

Terry

The mast angle when considered within the context of a roll only head, determines the "sit " angle in the air , the amount of nose length required to get the required hang angle and, when added to the to the ground "sit" angle created by the height of the under carriage, the resultant value in degrees is used to determine wether or not the model will rog.

The hang angle is a trim variable that can be adjusted within the stated upper and lower limits .As you know very lightly loaded fixed wing models will often return best LD with the cog well back from the norm, 45 - 55 % is not unusual . Very lightly loaded auto gyros such as the "Lite" are not usually critical within the the values given ,this also applies to the CF SFH .

I have found that very low hang angles can result in poor directional stability at higher alpha angles , but this can also be related to fin area and fin fin blanking. Also the behaviour of the rotor at high alpha at different speeds can cause off trim roll excursions that could be taken as a problem with directional stability .

The CF Lite design attempts to address these potential issues so that it's really just a matter of establishing correct roll trim,and power settings for slow cruise.

Tom.

David Ashby - Moderator28/07/2013 19:31:27
10825 forum posts
1615 photos
604 articles

Really impressed with the PDF Tom. Congratulations on a top notch job thumbs up

Tom Wright 229/07/2013 11:36:52
3908 forum posts
297 photos

Thanks David smile, this one is very much a joint effort ,with Malcolm heading up the work on the graphics, and drawings.

Tom.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Airtek Hobbies
CML
Overlander
Slec
Motion RC
Gliders Distribution
Revoc
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2018
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us