Forum sponsored by CML

Anyone for a Tiffie?

Building TN's Typhoon

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator05/08/2013 12:20:30
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Well, I've long fancied a model of the Typhoon - affectionately known in RAF as "the Tiffie". As the Typhoon eventually found its niche as a ground attack and fighter bomber type I think it lends itself well to the style of R/C flying - given that we spend all of our time "close to the ground"!

I ordered the plans, CNC pack, basic woodpack and mouldings from TN Designs a little while ago and as the mouldings and plans have just arrived today I thought I'd launch this build blog off.

The official "project start day" will be 7th August, the 69th anniversary of the Battle of Mortain - known as "The Day of the Typhoon". (More details on that later in the blog!) It is planned to finish the model in the colours of one of the aircraft that took part in this battle and, whilst I obviously hope to finish the model somewhat sooner, it is my plan and ambition to fly it on the 7th August 2014 in commemoration of the pilots of the 2nd Tactical Airforce (2ndTAF) who took part in the Battle of Mortain.

Surprisingly, considering the fact that the TN Typhoon was a free plan with the RCM&E Special in 2007, I have not been able to locate a detailed build blog for the model on here - although there are one or two excellent blogs on other forums. So I hope to redress the balance somewhat!

In my view the Typhoon was one of the truly "unsung heros" of WWII. Ask any member of the general public to name a WWII fighter and 90% will say "Spitfire", 5% might say "Hurricane" and the remainder might mention Mustangs, Mosquitos etc. But I'll bet that the Typhoon will go unmentioned. This is despite its major contribution from 1943 onwards towards the Allies ultimate victory in 1945. So, as I've been doing a lot of research, I thought it might be interesting to intersperse between the details of the actual building some of the history of the type itself. Hopefully some folks will find that interesting.

Well, I've tidied the workshop and cleared the building board so let battle commence....

BEB

Concorde Speedbird05/08/2013 12:23:21
2717 forum posts
631 photos

Oh no, this is going to overshadow my Spitfire build completely! This should be good, have you made a decision on power, retracts etc?

CS

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator05/08/2013 13:03:17
6711 forum posts
189 photos

Excellent news BEB.....clearly you have been inspired.

A facinating aircraft & certainly one I would love to build one day....will it be oily power or electric for this one BEB??

There is as far as I know only one Typhoon still in existence & that resides at the RAF museum at Hendon...it was sent to the USA foe trials during the latter years of the war & then mothballed. The RAF got rid of all their Typhoons soon after the end of the war because they no longer had a need for such ground attack aircraft. They then realised it would be nice to put one in the RAF Museum but having scrapped them all they were lucky to find that the USAAF still had the one sent for evaluation...it was returned to the UK & put on display....

It was the Battle of Mortain that led to much of the German Armour being more or less surrounded & destroyed in the Falaise pocket during the battle for Normandy. The Typhoon had a terryfying reputation amongst the German tank crews with many simply blowing up &/or abandoning their tanks when Typhoons appeared overhead however the reality was that the safest place for them would have been actually in their tanks. RAF reports into the battle showed that a surprisingly small number of armoured vehicles were in fact destroyed by Typhoon strikes. The cannon fire from ground strafing Typhoons proved to be devasting to retreating troops however with the Typhoons going around again & again until all their ammunition was used up.

If you've ever seen a 20mm cannon shell you will appreciate what such a round will do to flesh & bone....the thought of being under fire from such a weapon is a terrifying prospect.

Robin Kearney05/08/2013 13:20:32
1072 forum posts
183 photos

Glad to hear you are going to do a blog BEB, I agree with your remarks about it being an unsung hero, it is a lovely aircraft.

I spent a good while pondering it as my first real scale aircraft, eventually deciding to go for the TN Hurricane of the same size. The curves on the Tiffie worried me a little for a first scale job!

r.

Trevor Crook05/08/2013 13:21:41
824 forum posts
63 photos

Good luck BEB, you'll find the build worth it. I was flying mine on Friday, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Mine's a bit different (possibly unique?) though. When the free plan was originally published, it was printed 10% smaller than intended, so came out at about 56" span. This suited the motors, batteries etc I had so my father-in-law kindly built it for me. The moulded spinner and cowl couldn't be used, so he made the cowl and I sourced a commercial spinner that's not quite the right shape.

Power is via a 4S 3000 Lipo putting around 600W through a 12x7 prop. The model weighs just under 6lb, and it flies with authority. No vices in the air, but it's a bit tricky to land. It slows up fine, but if it touches down firmly and/or fast, bounces back up, then can stall. I don't know whether its an airframe thing, or whether the sprung Unitract oleos are under damped. It will 3-point if you get it right, then it's not a problem.

Tony Bennett05/08/2013 13:30:39
5074 forum posts
129 photos

this will be one to watch then. laugh

Bob Cotsford05/08/2013 14:17:29
7874 forum posts
433 photos

I've always loved the aggresive looks of the Typhoon, though the only one I've had was a 40 powered all veneered foam job in the 80s which I did as Roly Beaumont's aircraft.

Bring it on BEB!

alan p05/08/2013 14:32:46
218 forum posts
3 photos

Hi Beb

Biggest piece of advise is definitly keep the tail end very light. I have a sc 61 inthe front of mine all tail surfaces are built up including fin and rudder (no solid sheet). Still needed a church roof at the front end . Good luck and keep us posted.

David Ashby - Moderator05/08/2013 15:26:04
10895 forum posts
1663 photos
605 articles

Great Stuff Dave, look forward to seeing that progress.

One important question though, electric? Go on, you know you want to wink 2

Martin Harris05/08/2013 16:35:39
8669 forum posts
214 photos

As opposed to mechanical or pneumatic?

Concorde Speedbird05/08/2013 16:53:09
2717 forum posts
631 photos

Ha ha! Brilliant Martin!

If you are going for an engine BEB I think a Laser 70 would be perfect if built lightly, or an ASP 70 if on a budget.

You are starting your build just as I am about to start my Spitfire, it's a WWII build off!

CS

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator05/08/2013 16:59:27
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Thanks for the interest guys. Been spending a bit of time pouring over the plans - very nice looking build.

Re power? Well my heart says 4-stroke. But the Tiffie has a really big potential problem - which Alan refers to above - there's an awful lot of it behind the wing! In fact looking at the drawing the former that the wing's leading edge dowel goes into is actually the firewall! This of course reflects the fact that while the Napier Sabre engine may well have been one of the most power piston engines ever developed - at over 2000hp and long term possible potential for more - it also weighed an awful lot, one and half tonnes or there abouts!

All this spells CoG issues loud and clear. And it seems to be the fact that those going down the IC route with this model have ended up with a lot of lead up front - the engine simply isn't heavy enough to get anwhere near balance. If I go electric then at least the possibility exists of making the extra weight "useful weight" rather than "dead weight" - ie I can use multiple/double batteries.

So, the short answer at the moment is its looking like electric - but we'll see - the jury is still out!

Martin Harris05/08/2013 17:05:16
8669 forum posts
214 photos

Oh BEB....surprise

Concorde Speedbird05/08/2013 17:05:25
2717 forum posts
631 photos

Oh no...

CS

Tony Bennett05/08/2013 17:06:03
5074 forum posts
129 photos

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

elcrtic would be the way to go.

fit a nice big 6s in the nose and make use of the battery weight.

suppose i best start my 5th hurricane then next week. lol

Concorde Speedbird05/08/2013 17:17:32
2717 forum posts
631 photos
Posted by Tony Bennett on 05/08/2013 17:06:03:

suppose i best start my 5th hurricane then next week. lol

How about a bit bigger?!

You have the same problems as I may have with the Spit regarding tail heaviness. With that massive cowl you could fit a large, heavier engine but like you say you will probably still need nose weight. But what it has in nose weight it completely gives back in character and satisfaction...

CS

David Tweddle05/08/2013 18:11:14
290 forum posts
3 photos

7th August, that's my birthday...

David

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator05/08/2013 18:12:16
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Very true CSB which is why I'm not rushing to a decision on this one. You do have the problem to some extent on the Spit - but no where near as much as the Spit's nose is much longer - with reference to the wing leading edge location. It all comes back to the fact that the Merlin was a much lighter engine - about 650Kg comared to 1,250kg for the Sabre - comparing similar earlier production models that would have influanced aircraft designers. The Merlin got heavier as it developed - the Sabre was never really fully developed.

BEB

Concorde Speedbird05/08/2013 18:15:28
2717 forum posts
631 photos

Yes, and being a MK IX makes it even easier with the longer nose. You need to make the tail end as light as possible, how much scale detail will you be adding?

CS

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator05/08/2013 18:27:49
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Not much at the back end that's for sure!

BEB

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Addlestone Models
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us